Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Expelled

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Meanwhile, deep in the woods.....

So it seems we added an 'S' to it, in much the same way that the ignorant and the mentally challenged insist on calling their local supermarket Tesco's. Mind you, I could swear I once saw it marked on an old OS map with the caption 'Eastlands Copse'. I could also swear that some pupils in my own day erroneously referred to it as East Lamb Copse. Sadly, we'll always have to share the planet with numpties.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

in much the same way that the ignorant and the mentally challenged insist on calling their local supermarket Tesco's
It is rare that I rise to such bait, but first of all, people calling their local supermarket 'Tesco's' probably do so verbally, so the apostrophe is not spoken but inferred, and secondly, presumably the meaning is 'the supermarket of Tesco', so it is 'Tesco's [supermarket]'. Quite why such disparaging language emanates from you on the point is rather hard to understand. People say it because people say it, that is how language works and it presumably works in their respective heads as sounding right.

Coming back OT, I think that in my time, there might have been 1 or 2 expulsions from CH. There was, AIUI, a rustication of a Dep. (IIRC) after a serious indecent assault by pupil on pupil(s) round about 1980-1981. I can't recall any particular expulsions, more likely those too challenging for the School seemed to leave presumably at an agreed point after discussions with parents and some less academically-gifted left after 'O'-level.

It was not unknown for some older pupils to have notches in the belt to indicate the number of cane strokes received. I remember one bloke who c. 1981 had a belt that looked like a saw blade.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think pupil expulsion is treated by The School as a fire-bucket, sand and ostrich syndrome, Looks far better for The School as well !

A bit like when school staff are caught being a bit naughty with the pupils !!!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ZeroDeConduite wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:32 am
He also came back from a summer CCF camp at Shorncliffe, Kent in the late 1950s with a huge anti-tank two-man bazooka (but no ammo!!!) which was surplus to requirements there. We trundled it out on CCF afternoons after we got bored with dismantling the Bren guns.
Was that the MOBAT (mobile anti tank weapon) which appeared one day which had to be towed by a vehicle. Sighted in with a Bren attached alongside the barrel? I remember a couple of Stirlings appearing at the same time but we were not allowed to "test" them.

Dismantling the brens? I remember on the range one day being allowed to fire a few rounds on automatic
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

sejintenej wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 pm Was that the MOBAT...
That sounds fun. No Uncle's one was more like this - an M20: http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/ima ... 229055.jpg
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 pm Meanwhile, deep in the woods.....

'Education Facility' !!! Who invents this gobbledygook? Perhaps we should rewrite the first line of the Wikipedia article: Christ's Hospital, known colloquially as 'the Bluecoat Education Facility'...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Was Jason Flemyng, the actor, expelled? I seem to recall also that he was involved in a shop lifting episode when he was in Mid A?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

CHAZ wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:12 am Was Jason Flemyng, the actor, expelled? I seem to recall also that he was involved in a shop lifting episode when he was in Mid A?
He was expelled from the Labour Party. Don't know about CH.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2 ... -yeardley/
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

ZeroDeConduite wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 pm
sejintenej wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 pm Was that the MOBAT...
That sounds fun. No Uncle's one was more like this - an M20: http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/ima ... 229055.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_mm_BA ... less_rifle..
L4 moBAT version

How he got that I have no idea
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I seem to remember several pupils being ‘asked to leave’ and moved to KES Whitley, which I assume is linked to CH in some way. I don’t know why KES would have been keen to take pupils who didn’t meet CH’s standards of behaviour, but apparently they were. I also don’t know whether staff ever moved between the two.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just for my education, is there a difference between expelled and excluded?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

jhopgood wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 pm Just for my education, is there a difference between expelled and excluded?
In my day, if you refused to be excluded, you were expelled. Excluded sound better. Withdrawn even more so...
Molesworth 2
2nd Former

Post by Molesworth 2 »

DazedandConfused wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:17 pm I seem to remember several pupils being ‘asked to leave’ and moved to KES Whitley, which I assume is linked to CH in some way. I don’t know why KES would have been keen to take pupils who didn’t meet CH’s standards of behaviour, but apparently they were. I also don’t know whether staff ever moved between the two.
I wonder who paid for them to go there as I thought KES Witley didn’t offer as many assisted places as CH.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

A depressingly similar tale from KES Witley

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... acher.html
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

That's the first time I've ever heard of KES taking excluded CH pupils. I will refrain from adding my thoughts on a pattern of staff behaviour emerging.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.