Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

scrub
Deputy Grecian

Re: Expelled

Post by scrub »

Given the dates (and house) I really should remember that event, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.
If I think real hard it kinda rings a bell and there were a couple of kids who left early when I was in ThB, but the details escape me.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Post by Bishbashbosh »

I could give you both names but feel it prudent not to.

Wholly unconnected, do you remember Aardvark? Arnold Arnautovich I think was his actual name. And I'm not sure of her house, but Zia Zareem? Those are the 2 names and faces I remember fairly clearly.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Tom(?), I think, and while I remember their names I don't think I'd be able to pick them out of a line up.

I'm more surprised at not remembering an event as big as a barn burning rather than wanting to know who was involved. As scrappy as some of my memories about my time at CH are, I'd have expected something as notable as that to be there.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

scrub wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 am Tom(?), I think, and while I remember their names I don't think I'd be able to pick them out of a line up.

I'm more surprised at not remembering an event as big as a barn burning rather than wanting to know who was involved. As scrappy as some of my memories about my time at CH are, I'd have expected something as notable as that to be there.
Knowing the area well the only place i can think there would have been a barn on any route ch to southwater would have been next to the field where there was a break in the railway line level with the cricket ground, the other footpath from opposite the end of whapplegate comes out at the end of newroad where my Great Grandad lived (he was a science tech at the school and apparently would stash clothes in his shed for grecians pre Club days so they could go to the hen & chick)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I must admit, although it was just before I went to the school, that the barn in question was on top of sharpenhurst...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Great Plum wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 am I must admit, although it was just before I went to the school, that the barn in question was on top of sharpenhurst...
So opposite direction to Southwater
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Bishbashbosh wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 pm No mention of the barn being burned down? Roughly 90, 91? On the farm on the way to Southwater...

One culprit "asked to leave", the other allowed to stay. Both from Thorn B.
I vaguely remember this story but, much like Fairfield Catering's output, I have probably blocked it from my memory.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Post by Bishbashbosh »

Probably kept quiet as 2 pupils were arrested and interviewed. Both cautioned I believe. The farm house was abandoned, rotting. The barn was still in use as it was full of hay/straw. It wasn't deliberate arson, just an accident.

It was along the route to Southwater, through Bluebell woods (I don't know if that the official name or just what we call it), then over a hill if I recall correctly.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bishbashbosh wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm Probably kept quiet as 2 pupils were arrested and interviewed. Both cautioned I believe. The farm house was abandoned, rotting. The barn was still in use as it was full of hay/straw. It wasn't deliberate arson, just an accident.

It was along the route to Southwater, through Bluebell woods (I don't know if that the official name or just what we call it), then over a hill if I recall correctly.
Probably secret-smokers.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Bishbashbosh wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm Probably kept quiet as 2 pupils were arrested and interviewed. Both cautioned I believe. The farm house was abandoned, rotting. The barn was still in use as it was full of hay/straw. It wasn't deliberate arson, just an accident.

Almost certainly the barn on sharpenhurst then
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

Eastwood Copse, just over the level crossing.
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Eastwood copse had no farmhouse/barn as there was none there when we ran steeplechases through/past it in the 80's

Sharpenhurst farm here https://goo.gl/maps/YLFDM75LF2C2 is closest in that direction

Watlings farm near Bax Castle - https://goo.gl/maps/P3knARoYZFs

going towards Southwater it would be Greathouse farm here -https://goo.gl/maps/XL2e2uUjZt32

I checked an old ordnance survey map from before the Worthing branch line shut and no other farm buildings extant on that even.

Only other farm would be Westons which is now a farm shop - turn right at the T junction where you went over the style and up the hill for steeplechase
Last edited by wurzel on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

Bishbashbosh wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm ...through Bluebell woods (I don't know if that the official name or just what we call it), then over a hill...
Sharpenhurst Farm was over that the hill. There were several farm buildings in various places 'over the hill'.
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

here is a map from before the branch line shut https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 14&layer=0

Marlands was an old peoples home by the 80's (a relative was a cook/cleaner there) so couldnt be Marlands
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Just before the barn fire (which I didn't know about) there was a big drugs story in the papers about CH. Maybe '88 or '89. I think maybe 6-7 were expelled instantly for smoking pot..... despite alcohol being widely tolerated and far more deadly for 14-15yr olds.

No idea how it got in the papers before the school knew. Maybe a pupil blabbed to a busy parent.