Page 5 of 5

Re: Expelled

Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:04 pm
by PhilipOsedumme
Hi, I'm new to the forum,so not got the hang of this medium yet.Regarding detentions I think I held the record then probably for answering back to the teachers although I liked learning.It was thirty-four years since I was at CH So my memory might fail me but I don't think it was for not following the rules.I didn't have a great home life but one thing there was boundaries,rules a plenty! I do recall having an argument with my French Teacher (who also taught us Latin) about doing my homework and I refused so maybe that was one.Mr Moobs,I didn't realise I was so memorable if we knew each other around that time do let me know how as I've forgotten alot of people since I lived far away in London.I've been looking through the 1977-78 CH BLUEBOOK and started to remember a few names. :-D Barnes A, Thornton A 74 - 79

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 am
by Adrian
You were 3 years ahead of me Philip, but I certainly remember your name so you must have had a certain notoriety.

Unfortunately, like you, my memory for names back then is very poor. Even the names of friends escapes me. It's not an age thing, it's always been the same for me.

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:51 pm
by PhilipOsedumme
Hi Adrian,thanks for the reply.I looked up your name in The Blue Book 1977 - 78 and you came to CH in '75, I'm only a few months older than you so how come I was 3 years ahead of you?You must have stayed to finish A levels etc,I left at 16 after O'levels unwisely due to rebelling from the pressure of studying morning,noon and night at home. :( Barnes A,Thornton A 74 - 79

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm
by Adrian
Yes, I forgot about leaving at 16. I just looked at your leaving date. Doh.

Did I say I was bad at remembering names? When I do remember them I forgot what year they were in as well. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that we were in some of the same classes? Did they mix years? Art?

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:11 pm
by PhilipOsedumme
Yes Adrian, we might have been in the same classes.Sadly my memory is as bad as yours because I can't remember as I've been through some quite traumatic times.I was looking through some old Birthday cards and found some from Piers Gielgud Col. B,a fellow Gemini.I remember whenever we met he always made a lovely pot of Earl Grey Tea.I was friends with Habib Annous and Viv Ajai-Ajagbe both from Peele. B.I remember Andrew? Myers at my House Thornton A.He was quite stocky with a square jaw and was always flexing his pecks and lats but was a good bloke.I bought a bicycle off him with Wide Cowhandles and my feet could hardly reach the pedals.I was quite small back then but well built due to weights,Football,Rugby,squash,Athletics,Judo and Steeplechase despite having Asthma.Other names spring to mind. Adam Catchpole Th. B I think he was a Fly-half Unless that was Neil P.Adam Th. B. :D
Ba. A,Th. A 74 - 79

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:31 pm
by Oliver
Here’s a bit more about expulsion, which comes from a letter written by C Byers Lamb B, 1918-22. He describes one event in 1918, the last year of Headmaster Rev Dr AW Upcott’s regime. “Public flogging of boys, was then a regular occurrence, happening about once a year. However on one memorable occasion in 1918 he gave a morning sermon on personal purity. Then, after lunch, Dr Upcott, aided by two school sergeants (retired Army NCOs, employed by the school), caned six boys publicly, who were then immediately expelled”.

Dr Upcott was very harsh by the standards of the 21st century, but he was apparently less severe than his predecessor Rev R Lee, for as one of his obituaries put it, “Upcott was not a master of Draconian discipline as Lee had been.” (from The Blue of July 1922, p244).

A Rae, of Barnes B, 1915-23, has written, “Dr Upcott’s nickname was ‘The Butch’, short for the Butcher, and associated with his use of the birch. (His successor as headmaster, Dr WH Fyfe, a humanitarian with very different views on life and who never personally administered corporal punishment although he never forbade it, received a package of birches from Dr Upcott and immediately ordered them to be burned.)”

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:34 pm
by J.R.
How quickly times change.

Having said that, flogging and birching was in use in English prisons well into the twentieth century.

...... and birching in the Channel Island, (Guernsey), until quite recently.

Re: Expelled

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm
by CHAZ
PhilipOsedumme wrote:Yes Adrian, we might have been in the same classes.Sadly my memory is as bad as yours because I can't remember as I've been through some quite traumatic times.I was looking through some old Birthday cards and found some from Piers Gielgud Col. B,a fellow Gemini.I remember whenever we met he always made a lovely pot of Earl Grey Tea.I was friends with Habib Annous and Viv Ajai-Ajagbe both from Peele. B.I remember Andrew? Myers at my House Thornton A.He was quite stocky with a square jaw and was always flexing his pecks and lats but was a good bloke.I bought a bicycle off him with Wide Cowhandles and my feet could hardly reach the pedals.I was quite small back then but well built due to weights,Football,Rugby,squash,Athletics,Judo and Steeplechase despite having Asthma.Other names spring to mind. Adam Catchpole Th. B I think he was a Fly-half Unless that was Neil P.Adam Th. B. :D
Ba. A,Th. A 74 - 79
Viv Ajai Agabe was suspended for a week after having "borrowed" a flute from the music school!
If I am not mistaken that taletned actor Jason Felmyng also had a suspension or may have even ben asked to leave for theft in a shop
at Horsham?

Re: Expelled

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 pm
by sejintenej
JR: birching was also an accepted punishment ordered by the courts on the Isle of Man at least until recently (if indeed it has even been stopped). Pretty quick and even more effective which is why do-gooders don't like it (saves prison time)

CHAZ; JR might correct me but I don't recall the possibility of anyone being suspended in my day. A good slippering / caning but, for example, one of my Col A contemporaries travelled from Hong Kong and another from Dublin - suspension was not a practical possibility.
I do remember one boy being taken away on medical grounds (JR tells me he came back), another was delayed from coming back due to a fracture (?arm), another had to spend time away due to a family crisis (JR posssibly remembers - it was in the press) as did I but none lived an immense distance from the school and none was in a disciplinary situation.

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:12 am
by yamaha
There was shoplifting gang of about 8 expelled c.1966.

They were busted by Tom Keeley when they had so much merchandise their study doors wouldn't close.

Some say that was the start of Keeley's obsessive amateur detective activities ... others attribute the inspiration of the Inspector Clouseau movies.

All were expelled to the London suburbs whence they came except one, a nasty son of a policeman from Sarf London who's motto was "Deny everything" - advice that has come in handy on many occasions throughout my life.

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:22 pm
by J.R.
yamaha wrote:There was shoplifting gang of about 8 expelled c.1966.

They were busted by Tom Keeley when they had so much merchandise their study doors wouldn't close.

Some say that was the start of Keeley's obsessive amateur detective activities ... others attribute the inspiration of the Inspector Clouseau movies.

All were expelled to the London suburbs whence they came except one, a nasty son of a policeman from Sarf London who's motto was "Deny everything" - advice that has come in handy on many occasions throughout my life.

The other being..... "NO COMMENT !!"

Re: Expelled

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:24 pm
by J.R.
sejintenej wrote:JR: birching was also an accepted punishment ordered by the courts on the Isle of Man at least until recently (if indeed it has even been stopped). Pretty quick and even more effective which is why do-gooders don't like it (saves prison time)

CHAZ; JR might correct me but I don't recall the possibility of anyone being suspended in my day. A good slippering / caning but, for example, one of my Col A contemporaries travelled from Hong Kong and another from Dublin - suspension was not a practical possibility.
I do remember one boy being taken away on medical grounds (JR tells me he came back), another was delayed from coming back due to a fracture (?arm), another had to spend time away due to a family crisis (JR posssibly remembers - it was in the press) as did I but none lived an immense distance from the school and none was in a disciplinary situation.

I'm pretty sure that suspension wasn't an option during C.M.E.S's day !