Keep it under your hat

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Keep it under your hat

Post by Jo »

I subscribe to the weekly World Wide Words e-newsletter edited by the linguist and etymologist Michael Quinion. Amongst other things, he does much to dispel urban myths around derivations of slang and idiomatic expressions and, in particular, supposed acronyms, which persist with rather worrying tenacity (eg "posh").

My attention was drawn this week to a follow up to a piece he published last week on the expression "keep it under your hat". This was prompted by a daft claim linking it to the ubiquitous mediaeval archers, but his research suggested that it had a fairly literal derivation based simply on keeping something in one's head rather than writing it down or blabbing about it. He received, amongst others, the following reply:

Tony Sharp presented yet a third origin: "In the City of London the popular etymology is that when the new Lord Mayor is admitted to office, he is presented with the symbols - the mace, sword, and seals of office - in the Silent Ceremony. The swordbearer wears a Muscovy fur hat which has a small pocket in which he keeps the seals safe." Richard Martin, the current swordbearer to the Lord Mayor, a post introduced in 1420, confirms the basic facts: "I keep the Lord Mayor's key to the Christ's Hospital Seal in a pocket inside my hat, a traditional medieval design which implies the wearer is a man of importance (times change). The one I wear was created in 1975 and is of sable. Following the Silent Ceremony I pass the key to the outgoing Lord Mayor, who passes it to the incoming Lord Mayor, who returns it to me with the instruction 'keep it under your hat'."

Interesting where we turn up, eh? :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Keep it under your hat

Post by englishangel »

Well researched.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Brilliant !!

Tucked away in my "Archives" !
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

How fascinating! Well done, Jo. Next time I go to Speech Day I will look especially closely at the Sword Bearer's hat....though I could have sworn it was the Mace Bearer who wears the furry job!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Fascinating - but what is the CH Seal? Why does a Seal need a key?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Jo wrote:
Tony Sharp presented yet a third origin: "In the City of London the popular etymology is that when the new Lord Mayor is admitted to office, he is presented with the symbols - the mace, sword, and seals of office - in the Silent Ceremony. The swordbearer wears a Muscovy fur hat which has a small pocket in which he keeps the seals safe." Richard Martin, the current swordbearer to the Lord Mayor, a post introduced in 1420, confirms the basic facts: "I keep the Lord Mayor's key to the Christ's Hospital Seal in a pocket inside my hat, a traditional medieval design which implies the wearer is a man of importance (times change). The one I wear was created in 1975 and is of sable. Following the Silent Ceremony I pass the key to the outgoing Lord Mayor, who passes it to the incoming Lord Mayor, who returns it to me with the instruction 'keep it under your hat'."

Interesting where we turn up, eh? :D
Stephen Fry's programme about the city of London (last night), filmed this exchange taking place in the Lord Mayor's car after the silent ceromony.