CH Colours

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

williami
2nd Former

CH Colours

Post by williami »

• Many years ago, when I was at CH (1972-1978) I was actively involved with the CCF and School shooting VIII, eventually becoming team Captain.
• I was awarded my school colours, of which I was disproportionately proud.
• Having lost these some years ago, I would like to replace them.
• Please can anyone advise if this is possible and how I might go about this.

Ian
Ian Williamson
Head of Relationship Management
Nomura International plc,
1 St Martin's-le-Grand,
London EC1A 4NP

Tel : +44 207 521 2686

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: CH Colours

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I Also was awarded School Shooting Colours, after the Match against Eastbourne, in April 1946.

I still have the grubby little announcement with the School Crest, signed by "RJCB" posted in the East Cloisters

What I did NOT get, were my Colours --- at that time "Things" were "On Hold" with promises of supply "After the Emergency"

I ALSO did not get my History Prize --- also "Owed"

I would very much like to be able to BUY the blazer badge of the CH Crest with crossed Rifles--- 'cos I reckon I can prove entitlement !!

As to the History Prize ------ Ah well !!
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

CH is not quite like other schools with colours is it?

One of my daughters (not at CH) has Under 11 and Under 13 colours for netball and these are in the form of a sew on badge which says, well, Netball U11 and Netball U13 :)

My son received his cricket colours at CH in the summer and these are in the form of a cricket cap which is a completely different shape to a normal cricket cap ... I was so proud watching him play while wearing his colours :D

I hope you do manage to replace your colours; they are such a rarity and such an honour.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

So far as I know "colours" as such were not awarded when I was there.
What were the criteria? If it was simply competing on behalf of CH (as an individual or part of a team) then probably there are a lot of us who are entitled to them
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote:So far as I know "colours" as such were not awarded when I was there.
What were the criteria? If it was simply competing on behalf of CH (as an individual or part of a team) then probably there are a lot of us who are entitled to them
School colours weren't awarded simply for playing for a first team in my time. You had to be a regular and a contributor however that was defined be it proficiency, cooperation, good team man etc, etc.

I don't recall age group colours (u11 etc) as mentioned above.

AKAP or Howard H will correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I recall School colours were only awarded to first team members of the rugby XV, cricket X1, swimming XV1 and Shooting V111 subject to the criteria I've mentioned.

You could also be awarded House colours for rugby and cricket in my time. Again at House first team level.

EDIT: On reading the above again I realise that the age group colours are non-CH so forget that point!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

sejintenej wrote:So far as I know "colours" as such were not awarded when I was there.
sejintenej was there at the same time as I was, and colours were certainly awarded for outstanding performances in all "official" sports, i.e. rugby, cricket, fives and shooting. They got you a CH blazer badge (with crossed rifles for shooting), and cricketers also got a very posh striped blazer and striped cravat (if they could afford them: you were awarded the entitlement, not the hardware). Rugby players got blue socks with yellow tops. All colours holder got their initials added on team lists (ah, these little details* that were so important...).

You had to be a certain age (16, I think) before you could get school colours, which proved embrarrassing in the case of John Snow, who scored a century (normally an indisputable criterion) at the age of 15 (an unusual age to be in the 1st XI in any case). I think the age rule was put aside in this case.

As for me, the only sport I ever represented the school in was croquet (against Hurstpierpoint, away), and that was decidedly unofficial. No crossed mallets there, then.

*the initials were placed before the surname. Initials placed after were merely to distinguish you from another of the same name.

(I forgot: there were swimming colours. I don't know what they entitled you to.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I had been in the Shooting V111 for some time, before I was awarded my Colours.
I seem to remember ---- dimly -- that in the match against Eastbourne, I got a particularly good score ---- I can't remember what :oops:

The question remains --- can we buy our overdue, but entitled, badges of Honour gained ?

If not, I shall sulk ! :(
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

"You had to be a certain age (16, I think) before you could get school colours, which proved embrarrassing in the case of John Snow, who scored a century (normally an indisputable criterion) at the age of 15 (an unusual age to be in the 1st XI in any case). I think the age rule was put aside in this case. "

HowardH made the 1st XI at 14 if I remember correctly. But I don't know at what age he got his colours. Over to you Howard.

Edit: my attempt at quoting Michael failed, sorry (defeated by the technology again).
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Was not Dennis Silk "Multi-coloured " ?
He was just after my time -- but I think contemporary --- did he get his insignia ?

He was certainly 2.5 Blues at Cambridge --- Cricket, Rugby, and a half for Fives !
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

williami wrote:• Many years ago, when I was at CH (1972-1978) I was actively involved with the CCF and School shooting VIII, eventually becoming team Captain.
• I was awarded my school colours, of which I was disproportionately proud.
• Having lost these some years ago, I would like to replace them.
• Please can anyone advise if this is possible and how I might go about this.

Ian
Like this one:-

Which I was awarded at 15 (although it took about a year before the badges were in stock)
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

YES ! YES ! that is exactly what I want -----

I shall not only sulk ---- I shall lie on the floor, kick my legs and scream !

Seriously --- are they still awarded ? and if so, to whom do I apply, for a late award (No fault of mine -- Herr Hitler's !)
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Seriously --- are they still awarded ? and if so, to whom do I apply, for a late award (No fault of mine -- Herr Hitler's !)
I would guess that blazer badges went with the blazers (whenever that was).
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Please can anyone advise if this is possible and how I might go about this.
Just curious; did Ian get an answer???
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

The trouble seems to be --- to whom do we ask the question ?

Posts on this topic are interesting and informative ------ but who has the power to say yes or no ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The trouble seems to be --- to whom do we ask the question ?

Posts on this topic are interesting and informative ------ but who has the power to say yes or no ?

Personally, Neill, I would suggest an e-mail to the School Office.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.