Jean Kierans

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Jean Kierans

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

It is with sadness that I announce the death of Jean L. Kierans at the age of 80 years, on Thursday 11th November.

Her funeral is next Tuesday 23rd November at Greenbank Cemetery, Bristol at 1 o'clock. Graveside service followed by a burial.

Jean was the Mum of Siobhan Kierans (6s 1966-1970) and Kevin, but was a warm friend, helper and mentor to many,many Christ's Hospital children, teenagers and grown-ups during and after the years that her daughter attended the school. She loved her "family" of CHy ( seeaitchee) types as she put it and I suspect that some who read this notice will have their own warm memories that they may want to mention.

The British Press gave her much attention in the early nineties when a friendship she had had years before with a future Prime Minister , surfaced. Far more important in the great scheme of things, perhaps, was the special " Jean " brand
of love and kindness she brought to not only her own chidren and grandchildren and her C.H. "unchildren" ( another name she used for us) but to the hundreds of schoolchildren across South London, often from the most deprived backgrounds,that she devotedly taught to read and write as a State School Primary/Secondary Teacher.

By many of us, she will never be forgotten.
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Jean Kierans

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hi Alex

Thanks for informing us of Jean's death. If you (or anyone) attends the funeral, please give Siobhan my love and condolences.

Caroline
xx
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hi Caroline,

I will pass on your message. So sorry to have missed you the last time you were here. Apart from Siobhan and Jean's family, I'll probably see Munch and Penny Manning there and a few others.

I hope my short tribute to Jean was suitable.

Love to you and your family and assorted pets. xxxx
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Hi Caroline,

I will pass on your message. So sorry to have missed you the last time you were here.

Me too :( . It was a rushed trip with little flexibility as it absolutely revolved around Mum's birthday. Hopefully next time will be for my next significant birthday (dependent on me remaining employed, company bonuses continuing to be paid and that the World won't end in 2012).

Apart from Siobhan and Jean's family, I'll probably see Munch and Penny Manning there and a few others.

Despite the sad occasion, I hope that you are all able to celebrate Jean's life and our friendships.

I hope my short tribute to Jean was suitable.

It was excellent, and much appreciated :)

Love to you and your family and assorted pets. xxxx
Thank you, and returned in full.

xx
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Alex

So sorry to read of the passing of dear kind Jean. As you say, we will all have our own memories, and I distinctly remember a few Long Sat days out with Siobhan, Jean, and an odd time "Uncle John" as well....they very kindly took pity on me, with parents and sisters far away overseas, and allowed me to share their hme and friendship.

Siobhan and Kevin must be devastated, if you are in touch please send them all my love

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68