Security to visit CH these days

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Security to visit CH these days

Post by Wuppertal »

I went to CH yesterday for the first time in years. I didn't go onto the grounds but drove round the ring fence to have a look for old time's sake, and met up with an old member of staff who lives nearby. I have read in recent emails and Houseys etc. about the new rules whereby every visitor must report to security. I understand you have to get a photograph taken and have your visit approved by someone in the SMT.

Is this right, is this the protocol or is there anything different/else?

Specifically, a close relative of mine has a criminal record; will this pose problems if I one day visit with them on Old Blues Day or a reunion - e.g. do they ask about convictions before you can go in? Surely in a demographic of 800+ pupils there must be parents/relatives with criminal records, though obviously the pupils' safety is paramount so you would want to check there is no-one with violence- or child-related convictions...but how would you guarantee this?

I heard somewhere that every visitor to a school who has unsupervised access to the children now needs a CRB check, that's why Philip Pullman now refuses to do school visits in protest at this. But I'm assuming to visit on an open day or some kind of open-doors event like OBD, this won't be case :?:

Just got me thinking is all...
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Security to visit CH these days

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I think that providing your visit is genuine, and the powers that be know about it i.e you have informed the school office that you're coming for a visit you should have no issues. I certainly wouldn't recommend just turning up and expecting to be let in.

As far as I am aware there are no specific questions asked on OBD about relatives (I certainly had no issues with a friend visiting - they just wanted to know how many people I was coming with). I cannot see how they can request such information for a genuine pre-booked visit where you've been invited. However, if you are going to be doing any specific pupil interaction and this relative with a criminal record is accompanying you, then yes, I would tell them and allow them to make any decisions. If you didn't let them know and they find out I can see you not being allowed back.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

If this is true ------- what will happen on Old Blues Day 2011 ?

I can forsee an enormous queue stretching back to the Railway Station --- where there will be a Photo Booth and Officials questioning all OBs -- " Barnes B ? can you PROVE this ? "

Seriously --- I realise that School Security is paramount, but the idea of us all having our Photos taken -- (Is this REALLY your Husband/Wife ?) strikes me as a bit OTT.

I have already been CRBed 4 times -- (No surprise there !) and on each occasion, it has cost the relevant Organisation money.
None of the CRBs are valid for other activities (Mental Health, Sunday School, Police Advisory Committee,Elderly People) --- It may surprise you to learn thet the one time it was not required was as Chairman of Governors, of a First School ! --- Why ? --- because I was already "In post" !!!

Can I spend an hour in "Make-up" before my Photo ?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

well at the initial assessment it went like this -

If you are staying on site while your children are sitting the exam then you will need to go to the security office and register then you can sit in the sports centre cafe. You can not wander around.

Otherwise there was no restriction
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

A lot has to do with the recent OFSTED inspection.
All that happens is that you go into the security office and sit in front of a camera whilst they take your photo and print the badge. It helps if you have already arranged to meet someone as you will be on their list.
Unfortunately, the barrier is after the Security Office so it is easy to drive straight past and go about your business, as I did, before I was reminded to go back for the badge.
The only questions I was asked were my name and who I was going to see.
CH has had a lot of trouble with the OFSTED inspectors and it is worth looking at the CHOBA site (http://www.chassociation.org/) to see what is required.
OFSTED has been causing CH a lot of grief (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyy ... f-goodies/) so best not to make things worse.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm afraid it's a sad reflection on todays society in this country, and it's a double edged sword.

1 - OFSTED and the like, which I think, wields just a little bit TOO much power.

2 - Health and Safety. Child Protection. H & S, I do have some issues with, but as far as child protection is concerned, we can't do enough.

I did suggest that any OB's, etc who lived close to the school and would like to 'pop-in' from time to time, should be able to apply for an official photo ID, and if necessary apply for criminal disclosure. This would save time at the security gate.

As far as OB's day etc, is concerned, you apply in advance and can normally just check your name off at the gate.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

What about members of the public who use the Sports Centre? Do they now have to register at security every time they go? Or is that exempt and they just have to give their word that they won't go anywhere else on site?

When I drove past on Monday I noticed barriers had been put on a number of entrances that didn't have barriers in 2005 when I left, but the road going to the Sports Centre by the chaplains' house still had no barrier.

I guess they won't do CRB checks as it will either cost the school a vast sum of money (is is something like £40 a time? I've never done one), or they will charge the visitor the fee, then no-one would visit any more.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Interestingly of course, there's a public bridleway that goes from Wapplegate right round the Mile until it joins with the Downs Link by Junction Cottage and so of course the public can get in a lot easier. Maybe OFSTED should have a word with the County Council and get them to shift that way of entry. (I believe the school have tried without success - obviously views of the school are more important than children's safety...) I would go as far as to say that this access remaining open makes a mockery of any of the security measures...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:Interestingly of course, there's a public bridleway that goes from Wapplegate right round the Mile until it joins with the Downs Link by Junction Cottage and so of course the public can get in a lot easier. Maybe OFSTED should have a word with the County Council and get them to shift that way of entry. (I believe the school have tried without success - obviously views of the school are more important than children's safety...) I would go as far as to say that this access remaining open makes a mockery of any of the security measures...

Moving a Public Right Of Way is extremely hard !

The Ramblers associations seem to hold great power.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

JR is right ---- I have had experience of this on a Planning Committee.

Ancient maps will be produced, showing the footpath, and there is an assumption----- "Once a Road -- Always a Road " -- which in one case extended to a drove of Roman times !!
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

And thus the little man with his little thought says, "Sod the needs of the people" in this case the needs of vulnerable children.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Interestingly of course, there's a public bridleway that goes from Wapplegate right round the Mile until it joins with the Downs Link by Junction Cottage and so of course the public can get in a lot easier. Maybe OFSTED should have a word with the County Council and get them to shift that way of entry. (I believe the school have tried without success - obviously views of the school are more important than children's safety...) I would go as far as to say that this access remaining open makes a mockery of any of the security measures...

Moving a Public Right Of Way is extremely hard !

The Ramblers associations seem to hold great power.
Indeed, but should safeguarding young children be less important than a walk?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99