Uniform

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Uniform

Post by lonelymom »

5h17shoveller wrote:AS LONG AS THE SCHOOL IS ALIVE THE UNIFORM SHOULD NEVER CHANGE.
Absolutely!!!!
lonelymom :rolleyes:
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

lonelymom wrote:
5h17shoveller wrote:I PRESUME I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO THOUGHT THAT THE HOUSEY COATS WERE BLACK ,SO WHY IS IT A BLUE COAT SCHOOL ?
The two housey coats I've got in my house at the moment are definitely navy blue.
Maybe I am colour blind , but all my photos look like black,and wearing them for 6 years I would bet quite a bit of dosh on it !
Maybe, it could be my memory !
Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I must admit I was surprised by the blackness of the coats when I first arrived at CH station all those years ago. But blue they were...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

michael scuffil wrote:I must admit I was surprised by the blackness of the coats when I first arrived at CH station all those years ago. But blue they were...
crickey, opticians for me after xmas !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Angela Woodford wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I noticed today that in the last surviving pair there is now a hole in one toe and a hole in the sole.
A touch of Vièr Bliu perhaps; after over 55 years use it is bye-bye. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Think Hertford, David! :lol:

Friday night is Mending Night! :wink: A couple of holes? Darn, darn, darn! You mustn't let those historic socks die!

We had a darning mushroom in the House Mending Box. It had a glossy sheen from a long life of duty!
Should anyone need a darning mushroom, let me know. They are frequently given to charity shops, whereupon my colleague and I give a lesson on darning to anyone who will listen. You can see the younger customers thinking "AH poor old things"
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I still have my darning mushroom, marked with my ward and locker number. The top unscrews to reveal a hollow stem to store needles.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

5h17shoveller wrote:Maybe I am colour blind , but all my photos look like black,and wearing them for 6 years I would bet quite a bit of dosh on it !Maybe, it could be my memory !
Aaaaargh, I wish I'd taken that bet! :D
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

lonelymom wrote:
5h17shoveller wrote:Maybe I am colour blind , but all my photos look like black,and wearing them for 6 years I would bet quite a bit of dosh on it !Maybe, it could be my memory !
Aaaaargh, I wish I'd taken that bet! :D
Say you did - his memory is obviously shot anyway! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Good idea! Will you be my witness? We can split it 50/50. He did say there would be 'quite a bit of dosh' :D
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

lonelymom wrote:Good idea! Will you be my witness? We can split it 50/50. He did say there would be 'quite a bit of dosh' :D
Image it's a deal! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Oh 5h17shoveller, where are youuuuuu?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I noticed today that in the last surviving pair there is now a hole in one toe and a hole in the sole.
A touch of Vièr Bliu perhaps; after over 55 years use it is bye-bye. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Think Hertford, David! :lol:

Friday night is Mending Night! :wink: A couple of holes? Darn, darn, darn! You mustn't let those historic socks die!
We had a darning mushroom in the House Mending Box. It had a glossy sheen from a long life of duty!
Were you a late developer? :wink: we learned darning in primary school - which I left at age 9 - but without a mushroom. The big problem is that you must always mend with the same material and I don't know if John Lewis sell 55 year old blue wool.

Of course if Hertford pupils want to practice ................. lets not think along those lines please.

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I decided, while still "Dealing" in Antiques, to collect something unusual,and CHEAP.

I started my Mother on Buttonhooks --- which have a precise bracket of time -- and she collected a good number, which we sold foe some hundreds of pounds, when she was 95 !!!

I thought of collecting Darning Mushrooms --- another varied project, but really failed to get started ---- too late now !

I boast, that I can darn woollen sockss with neat woven squares, but this is not due to my Mother's foresight, but the Brigade of Guards --------

"You 'orribble little man --- you call that neat ? --- one extra Drill --- Idle Darning " !!!!! :oops:
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I still own a darning mushroom, in polished wood with a removable top as Frances described. I rarely use it. Several years ago while buying shoe-polish I enquired about darning wool. "Wassat?" came the charming reply. "It's for darning socks", I explained patiently. The girl looked at her colleague disbelievingly & they both shrugged. "Never 'eard of it," she said, as though that statement proved it must be a figment of my warped imagination. You can still find it on some market stalls, if you're lucky enough to live near a market, and thrifty enough to want to mend socks. :(
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

lonelymom wrote:Oh 5h17shoveller, where are youuuuuu?
I'm here in the snowy north.

Just realised why the housey coats appeared to me to be that colour.

All my photos are in black and white. :lol:

:rolleyes: :wink:

I WILL JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE YOU !