Uniform

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Uniform

Post by michael scuffil »

Builders' bum

Is that what I mean by "brickies' cleavage"?

Not that this had any relevance at CH in the 60s, with yards of shirt-tails. Not to mention a little matter of a housie coat. (And I can't imagine that anyone would have wanted to make a display of CH underwear.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

My 'young people' tell me that the fashion for young men to wear their trousers so low that you can see there undergarments comes from American prisons. The belts which hold up the men's trousers are removed for obvious reasons and so their trousers fall down and therefore their pants are exposed.This is considered 'cool' as if you wear your trousers like that you must have been in prison and are de facto, tough.Perhaps there is a parallel with the wearing of the girdle in the same way?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Girdles ----- I do remember, that the Junior's Girdle, being longer, could be twisted, with the edges interlocking, to provide an instument, which the Monitors used for beating Juniors. I have so suffered ! :(
One of our Monitors (Ba B 1941ish) used to delight in using unconventional instuments, such as the strands of the Ivy, adorning the wall outside the Dormitory,
this being Barnes B --- it was readily available !!

It has , of course , never affected me ! ------- the fact that my house has NO adhesive plant adorning it, is purely co-incidental !!!!! :oops:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:Girdles stretched* and frayed, and as far as I know no one minded if you kept the old one at the end of a year, and I remember the fashion for plaiting old girdles to make belts.

*They stretched quite quickly at first. You had to cut a new hole for the buckle hook after two or three weeks. I imagine this is still the case.
I can't remember any undue stretching or need for adjustment - as you wrote (edited out above) girdles were never worn tight even as a squit so there was no real stretching - simply softening. With broadies you cut a T shape at the end of the leather for the T on the back of the buckle to go in and you struggled against the hard leather to get the buckle "pin" through a hole - and there it remained until the leather was replaced a year later.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

RMS PLATES
It used to be the custom that Grecians did not wear plates. The first example I can find of them being worn is a photo of "School Grecians/House Captains 1959-60" in which Twitchin and Riches wear their RAF Foundationer's plates. There were complicated historical reasons why boys of the Royal Mathematical School should not have become Grecians, but I believe that they now can be - and thus wear the RMS plate with Grecians' buttons. Can anyone confirm this, please?
David :shock:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Several people have remarked on the Lamb B 1953 photograph in which one boy wears his plate on the right shoulder. I recognised the wearer, located him via Margaret Wadman, and asked him what the plate was. The answer is simple. He was the first ever Oliver Whitby entrant and his Matron had sewed the plate on the right shoulder in error. This was subsequently corrected and later house photos show the same boy, but with the plate on his left shoulder. Would that all questions had such simple answers!
:shock:
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Foureyes wrote:RMS PLATES
It used to be the custom that Grecians did not wear plates. The first example I can find of them being worn is a photo of "School Grecians/House Captains 1959-60" in which Twitchin and Riches wear their RAF Foundationer's plates. There were complicated historical reasons why boys of the Royal Mathematical School should not have become Grecians, but I believe that they now can be - and thus wear the RMS plate with Grecians' buttons. Can anyone confirm this, please?
David :shock:
Yup - take a look in 'Photos' at the first post entitled School Monitors in the General section. The 1980 school monitors photo shows Stuart Barnett wearing his RMS plate on his buttoned coat. He was, I believe, a maths Grecian and I think by then the tradition whereby Grecians actually had to be classical or humanitities students had long past in to the annals of history.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

It`s just been on Meridian local news , filmed today

(saw my dog on tv too!!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, I saw it on the local news at 10.30. All of three seconds! Sorry that I missed the dog....
Which 'authority' was it that proposed a change in the uniform, which is now claimed to have been rejected by the students themselves....?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:Headed up as 'weirder ....'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... iform.html

A 'well-crafted' photograph.

Note the cleanliness of the shoes !

(Sorry - I couldn't resist it !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.