Sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Sad news

Post by michael scuffil »

bLb wrote:I am shocked that a crossing is allowed close to a school and also think something should be done about it, should have been done about it before this. This is terrible news. I am so sorry.
I'm sorry too, but the crossing (and the right of way) was there before the school, and people from the school (as well as locals) presumably have to cross the line somewhere. This young man was old enough to drive a car; one has to act on the assumption that he was old enough to cross a railway line.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
bLb
2nd Former

Post by bLb »

I suppose I feel that if an unguarded crossing is near to a school something has gone very wrong with planning. Roads and train tracks are dangerous but all possible precautions should be taken if they can be where young children and young adults are concerned.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Our condolences to all his family and friends.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

The crossing links Bigside (the fields behind the Grecians houses) to Sharpenhurst & the Downs Link. When I was at CH pupils were not allowed to cross the tracks unsupervised. This rule was commonly ignored, however most people who chose to cross the tracks were aware of the frequency and speed of trains, which usually will sound their horn. However this doesn't stop them being a danger as there is a fairly large curve on the tracks which makes trains hard to see. Although they are quite loud on approach, if someone had headphones on or was on the phone this advanced warning would be lost. I have long felt that safety measures would be beneficial, however these are costly and are unlikely to happen. One can only hope that this tragedy might prove the point, however it is appalling that it was allowed to go this far
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

In fact "Sad News" is the most awful,ghastly dreadful heading for this topic.

Of course it's "SAD". Kerren?

I know nothing of today's CH, or the details of this incident. But, how horribly, awfully, tragic. The death of a promising and gifted young man.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

There is more security there now than there was 20 years ago - the crossing has always been there - I myself crossed it several hundred times and you could hear/feel the train coming for a long while before it arrived due to the hissing from the rails. Maybe the weather was bad and he didn't hear it.

It was always out of bounds but was also always a smoking spot for those at that end of the avenue (not saying that is what he was doing just what we were doing when we crossed it).

You can ask the school to be as tight as you like on security but teenagers will find a way around whatever you do (it is their purpose in life)
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I was profoundly affected by the loss of a young life at CH yesterday. It was a glorious, spring morning yesterday at 8am. What was such a talented, smart young man and skilled runner doing alone on a railway crossing at such a time? Was it (as those on this message-board to-date appear to assume) an accident or was he under some extreme stress, as I have heard suggested, perhaps from his A level mocks or something else? Is there pastoral care in more than just name at CH? How well trained are elders there to spot emotional distress and to give the support and empathy necessary to bring a youngster back to a sense of balance? As a hands-on parent with a child at CH for some years already, how is it I only learned of this crossing and its danger in the past 24 hours? What absolutely devastating news for his parents and family, and for his friends and the school to deal with. I am heartbroken. Rest in peace Matt Leonard.
No-one can help but be affected by the tragic loss of such a young life. I can't even begin to imagine how devastating this must be for Matt's family and all those close to him, but I do feel that online speculation as to the circumstances surrounding his death can only serve to distress them further.

One thing I will say is that in my own experience the pastoral care at CH has been of the highest standard. I have always found the staff responsible for my children's pastoral care to be professional, sensitive and supportive, and I am sure that they will be doing everything possible to help Matt's family, friends and the wider school community at this very sad time.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Hear, hear on all counts to Ailurophile's post.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Mimosa wrote:I was profoundly affected by the loss of a young life at CH yesterday. It was a glorious, spring morning yesterday at 8am. What was such a talented, smart young man and skilled runner doing alone on a railway crossing at such a time? Was it (as those on this message-board to-date appear to assume) an accident or was he under some extreme stress, as I have heard suggested, perhaps from his A level mocks or something else? Is there pastoral care in more than just name at CH? How well trained are elders there to spot emotional distress and to give the support and empathy necessary to bring a youngster back to a sense of balance? As a hands-on parent with a child at CH for some years already, how is it I only learned of this crossing and its danger in the past 24 hours? What absolutely devastating news for his parents and family, and for his friends and the school to deal with. I am heartbroken. Rest in peace Matt Leonard.
Nobody knows for certain what happened.
Nobody has the full picture.
We shouldn`t speculate.
What I can say quite categorically is that the pastoral system here at CH is second to none.
ANY child with problems has a host of people to turn to - IF they want to , be it peers, House staff, academic staff, Health Centre staff, Independent listeners, trained counsellors and of course the Chaplaincy.
Everyone went into overdrive yesterday - and will remain so as long as the pupils take to get over this tragedy.
I for one, gave up a free afternoon to help comfort those in the House where I work and I`d do it again and again if needed.

The reason the crossing has not been heard about is because there is no problem with it - it`s out of bounds, and most of our pupils have the good sense to stay within the ringfence as expected. And the intelligence to realise the danger if they choose to break the rules.

We don`t know why he chose to run there , and we probably never will.
But , tragic as it is, this will certainly make others think twice
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Again, I agree with everything you say.

I can never say it as well as others do. I know, from personal experience, that the pastoral system does work at CH.

I only want to send my heartfelt thoughts and prayers to Matt's family.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well said - both Janet and YadaYada.
The situation is dreadful and the school now has to cope with the aftershock, as I am sure it will, in its well known and hugely supportive fashion. People need to support, also, the deceased's family and his friends - whatever the circumstances of his death. I make no apology for the heading on this thread - and to argue about it would be disrespectful to the deceased, to his family, and to his friends - and also to the CH family to which he chose to belong. I, too, pray that his soul may now be in peace.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

My son was also out running early yesterday morning, he saw a runner leave Grecians East who he thinks may have been Matthew leaving for his run. The whole situation is very upsetting and distressing for everyone at CH. However I cannot begin to imagine what Matthews family and friends are going through, our thoughts and prayers are with them.
Last edited by CHDad on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Such a tragic situation. Having been a contemporary and friend of Richard Slater's this brings it all back.

CH is very very good at dealing with this sort of thing - they offer fantastic support from pupils and staff alike (I speak from all too familiar experience). I send my condolences to all affected.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Mimaos - To suggest that the school is in any way lacking in pastoral care is outrageous. You have no idea about this boy and have suggested on a public forum that the school did not know him.I can assure they did and the entire school from the youngest to the oldest is absolutely devastated.Everything after this terrible event has been handled expertly and with honesty and sensitivity. I would like to to suggest that moderators accept condolences only on this thread and not speculation and opinion about anything else to do with it. This is hard enough to deal with without any nonsense . If you have question or concern about anything ,pm members of the forum or contact the school. Grump.
Apalacia
3rd Former

Post by Apalacia »

What tragic news. As others have said, from that crossing you did have a good sight and feel both ways as to when a train was coming. Again, I quite agree that speculation is not necessary, most especially comments about pastoral care. I may have left 6 years ago, but it is second to none.

A true tragedy - and my thoughts are with this young man's family. Knowing CH, they are rallying moral support.