Sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Sad news

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:
Anonymous80 wrote:I have nothing to do with Christ Hospital but I am a close friend of the Leonard family. They are absolutely devastated by what has happened. Please can you consider their feelings before posting speculative comments. The family is well aware of this thread on the forum and comments like the one above only serves to heighten their agony.
Quite agree.
Maybe one of the moderators might find it useful to remove speculative comments of this nature.
I realise it smacks of censorship, but this is a public forum and I would argue that comments of this nature should remain private until after the inquest.
Censorship goes against the grain for me too on an unofficial forum generally.

However quite apart from the issues of sensitivity it is clear from the press links above that this forum has been read.

The last thing the family needs at this time is a bored journo making up sensationalised nonsense from speculation on here.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
bLb
2nd Former

Post by bLb »

Everyone is in shock perhaps? My feelings are with the family and the school at this time.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At the personal request of a respected member of this Forum and having read the post in question, I have removed the post made by Chapel on this thread at 2:32 pm today.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
epammi
2nd Former

Post by epammi »

I think Network rail have something wrong here - if you look at their information about all Footpath crossings (see http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/ ... ossing.pdf ) they state that "There are stiles or self-closing gates on both sides of the railway. Some crossings have warning lights. " I haven't been to this crossing myself but if it is still as seen in the Daily Mail photograph today then it is clearly lacking what Network Rail say a footpath crossing should have. Added to this the crossing in question is close to a school and by all accounts is used regularly by the school. I feel a duty to Matthew's family and to all the children at CH including my own, to get this changed. Just not sure how but it must change.
bLb
2nd Former

Post by bLb »

There is an address :Network Rail, King's Place, 90 York Rd, London, N1 9AG and its the Sharpenhurst foot crossing no 3.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I hope the Leonard family know that for the vast majority of us on this forum, our thoughts and prayers are with them at this dreadful time.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

epammi wrote:I think Network rail have something wrong here - if you look at their information about all Footpath crossings (see http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/ ... ossing.pdf ) they state that "There are stiles or self-closing gates on both sides of the railway. Some crossings have warning lights. " I haven't been to this crossing myself but if it is still as seen in the Daily Mail photograph today then it is clearly lacking what Network Rail say a footpath crossing should have. Added to this the crossing in question is close to a school and by all accounts is used regularly by the school. I feel a duty to Matthew's family and to all the children at CH including my own, to get this changed. Just not sure how but it must change.
The crossing in question is accessed by very steep steps on either side of the railway. There are large stiles at the top of each set of steps. Please don't rely on The Daily Mail as a source of informed comment.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

YadaYada wrote:I hope the Leonard family know that for the vast majority of us on this forum, our thoughts and prayers are with them at this dreadful time.
I would echo that sentiment. I think everyone is shocked, upset & sad (dreadfully sad) at what has happened and emotions have been running high. What is unavoidable is that this is a terrible tragedy ..................... thoughts and prayers are probably all we can and should offer at the moment.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I understand that there is planning permission for a bridge across the public right of way on the railway track though I could be wrong. But even so it could be applied for given the three identified deaths on this particular piece of track.
I also know that the Grecians have already considered that this year's Grecian's Gift to the school would be some kind of memorial to Matthew. I am wondering if a bridge across the track would be the best kind of memorial. I have no idea how much a bridge costs but I am reminded of a similar impossible wish list. Where I live a woman known as Sister Trudi wanted to have a Hospice in the town and she had no idea how much it would cost or how to get the money. Her friend said 'Here's 20p I have in my pocket' . There is now a Hospice in the town.The Matthew Leonard Bridge might be an fitting testament to all the people who have been killed there and prevent any more deaths.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mimosa
2nd Former

Post by Mimosa »

Yes, I pledge £50 towards Matthew's bridge; where do I send my cheque?
bettyboo
2nd Former

Post by bettyboo »

So sorry for Matthew's parents. And for those of you out there talking about "experience" and "responsibility at eighteen". HUSH YOUR MOUTHS! A boy has died. That should say enough. Show some compassion.
CH is a FANTASTIC school. I will never take that away from them. But pastoral care? My fourteen-year-old son lost his father to a harrowing accident, and them the two grandmothers that he grew up with on either side of his father's death. It all happened in Easter, literally in 5/6 weeks. One funeral after another. His housemaster, the incredible Mr Howard (the best and fairest house master in CH History) drove him straight down to London from a CH disco to his father on life support machine. After his second grandmother’s death a few weeks after his father, he returned to CH in the summer, ran and won a race for Peele B - and refused to talk about his father's death. A few weeks later he went off the rails, (As you would with three close family deaths) and had post traumatic shock. He had fights, and nicked etc etc. What did CH do? Despite the best efforts of Mr Howard? They KICKED him out, and he ended up in pupil referral in London. The hospital psychiatrist said losing CH for my son was like a fourth bereavement. Pastoral care at CH is dependant on the lottery of who you get as your house master/mistress. And even then, it’s not enough. Mr Howard was an amazing man but in the end they went over his head.

I am so sorry for your pain Mr and Mrs Leonard. The scholars will also need careful counseling. I hope they get it.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hmm..I'd be very happy to pledge money towards transforming the crossing across the railway into a bridge - though I am not convinced that a bridge - while securing the safety of the majority of pupils who might cross the railway line for whatever reason either kosher or not - might be the answer.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
barwen
Deputy Grecian

Post by barwen »

Anonymous80 wrote:I have nothing to do with Christ Hospital but I am a close friend of the Leonard family. They are absolutely devastated by what has happened. Please can you consider their feelings before posting speculative comments. The family is well aware of this thread on the forum and comments like the one above only serves to heighten their agony.
After reading the comments from Anonymous80 would it not be a good idea to draw a line under this tradgedy and move onto other topics.
For those who knew Matthew personally they will remember him with pride and fond memories while those who did not know him can feel sadness as anyone would for the loss of a life in such tragic circumstances.
This is not a vote for censorship but simply the right thing to do.
Perhaps the Moderators may think that they should call an end to this thread just incase any further insensitive and upsetting comments are made.
bowmart
2nd Former

Post by bowmart »

This was a terrible incident and the third death at this particular spot.as horrific as it is for the family and friends of this young man please spare a thought also for the train driver who I am sure was in a complete state of shock.I think in the light
of this latest tragedy some sort of safety procedures must be implemented.