PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS THE INTERNET

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jazzlegs
2nd Former

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS THE INTERNET

Post by jazzlegs »

I do find it worrying that some members regard the Forum as a private chat line and seem to forget that the wider world is watching and can gain access to what is written here via any search engine. Please remember when you are posting that anyone with a PC and net connection can watch what is said and not only draw conclusions about CH but also about the individual who made the post. I find it amazing that some contributors name members of staff (live or dead), Old Blues etc. in ways which are generally unfavourable or otherwise questionable.

As an example, with Matt Leonard's death various suppositions were made very early on which were clearly picked up by journos and repeated as gospel truth, although one poster did very sensibly ask everyone just to remember their manners.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that this is a place where people can post comments and some will be favourable and some unfavourable but please lets keep to what is known (i.e. facts) and not make up our own version of events when it is just guesswork. Opinions, yes, but please make it clear that it is just that.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS THE INTERNET

Post by englishangel »

Thank you Tony for your timely reminder.

We do try and keep an eye on things and I have recently deleted a post which I felt broke the boundaries.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Isn't Facebook culpable too? Surely that's the first place journos turn to when there is news such as this? As Mary has said, moderators here are always proactive in ensuring decorum in such circumstances, but on Facebook - well, anything goes, it seems.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Regarding Facebook, it is really quite amazing how many newspaper articles take quotes and make references to entries on there.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Facebook seems to be more of a problem as people really do seem to think that its a closed private medium. In the last year I have had to try and represent a colleague who had lost sight (if he even knew) of the boundaries and was talking to a young girl in ways that he never would have in the street. He lost his job and there are others, nationally, who have posted photos of themselves in various states of undress. All of whom think it reasonable!

I try and abide by the rule that if I wouldn't say it to my aged aunt then it shouldn't go on an internet page - not that I always get it right!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Chris Blewett wrote:Facebook seems to be more of a problem as people really do seem to think that its a closed private medium. In the last year I have had to try and represent a colleague who had lost sight (if he even knew) of the boundaries and was talking to a young girl in ways that he never would have in the street. He lost his job and there are others, nationally, who have posted photos of themselves in various states of undress. All of whom think it reasonable!
Chris; unfortunately there are those who totally lose sight of reality even in normal circumstances. In your line of work I know of one self-made millionaire who lost $6.5 Millions on a scam - lost a couple of thousand and then paid out more and more and more. I know of others who have got caught and literally lost their lives because they lost sight of reality even though they were well educated.

Rules: If something looks too good to be true (like the high interest rates on deposits offered by the Icelandic banks and one other which still exists) run a league and then an extra mile. If you win a prize on the lottery you didn't enter or a car from a manufacturer when you didn't enter the draw (etc) it is a SCAM and you will lose money. If you are offered shares (or the wine investment being brokered at the moment) say No, No, No and hang up unless you really want to be succered. If a share is hyped in the press or elsewhere do not buy it then. Wait a week, do your own research and then buy it if your own independent research warrants it. (In two months I made the cost of a 7 week holiday for two in Aus / NZ by following that rule so IMHO it works but always DYOR)
Just assume that everyone else is out to extract the last penny of your overdraft limit and it is your job to stop them.