Old Blues Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues Day

Post by Vonny »

DavebytheSea wrote:
travelling up from the westcountry with some wonderful people - the fact that none of us had met before really did not seem to matter. Thanks for your company. :)
Yes it was hard to believe that none of us knew each other before the journey! But as you say, it did not matter in the slightest!

Same time, same place next year?! :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm gradually acquiring a battery of aids for the ailing -hired wheelchair, stairlift, extra step to get into the shower etc. I decided that I wouldn't go for palliative chemo--it would only give me an extra couple of months, with no chance of easing the breathing or coughing. I've had a visit from a hospice nurse, and am having Attendance Allowance fast-tracked. I feel very calm about the whole thing, but poor dear Joe is very distressed. In the words of Peter Pan "It wil be an awfully big adventure"
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I'm thinking of you, I don't know what else to say really, words just escape me at times like this.

I've also been thinking about Ann a lot today, but she knows that I will be.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I don't know what to say either. But Midget's attitude makes me proud to have gone to the same school.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Have people PM'd Maggie? If too many do so, I guess it may result in overload. But here is a tangible Hertford connection with which we can engage to offer some moral support for one of our own who is at a time of crisis in her life - ALSO at a time when communication is instant and accessible. How technology has changed the world.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

midget wrote:Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm gradually acquiring a battery of aids for the ailing -hired wheelchair, stairlift, extra step to get into the shower etc. I decided that I wouldn't go for palliative chemo--it would only give me an extra couple of months, with no chance of easing the breathing or coughing. I've had a visit from a hospice nurse, and am having Attendance Allowance fast-tracked. I feel very calm about the whole thing, but poor dear Joe is very distressed. In the words of Peter Pan "It wil be an awfully big adventure"
I feel very humbled and full of admiration for "Midget'"'s spirit.

I was complaining to TBA about the fact that I had to take a stick with me, to walk about CH on OBs Day.
---- Get real Neill !!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Speech Day 2011

Post by Angela Woodford »

I attended an Old Blues Day a few years ago.

I wanted to re-connect with the feeling of CH.

It began with quite a lot of giggling in the car park, where two charming and confident girls spoke to me - I think they were guiding the Oldies into suitable spots. "But I was at Hertford" I said, as I obviously didn't know where I was heading. The girls looked at me, kindly. "What was it like... there?" one asked. "It was - different" I said. "A bit more grim than you could probably imagine. Enclosed. A sort of aura of a female Gormenghast at times. If you conformed, you did well." "And you didn't conform?" asked the other. "Not really" I said, cautiously. The girls began giggling. How nice they were!

I could see they were thinking "Poor old thing!"

"And you look lovely in the uniform!" I called after them. They waved.

I must have walked a very long way that day. The Chapel, the Library, that hall-like place on "The Avenue" (was it?) where I met "Girlhood" (undefaced) again, and found the House Mons Boards. There, too, were the boards with the names of the great and good girls who had won prizes. Familiar names, some of them! I had a go at shooting in the CCF Hut. I went around the Museum, guided by a clever and delightful boy called Tristan, and looked at our Hertford relics behind glass.

However, I wasn't re-connecting with a CH feeling - until lunchtime. I was too broke to afford the Dining Hall lunch, but I'd got an apple in my bag, and went for a wander whilst there were no other Old Blues around - and hardly any pupils either. The place seemed deserted. The flower beds needed weeding, I thought, sternly. I'd read on the Forum that Mr John Knight had scaled The Water Tower, so I thought I'd try to find it! I could see the impressive structure, but couldn't actually find its base in order best to appreciate the achievement of his climb.

I found myself at the back of the Kitchens. I could smell the institutional whiff of dirty plates and cutlery, hear the bustle and clatter of dishwashing, see various bins of discarded food, and hear the clang as metal serving dishes hit the bottom of big stainless steel sinks. And suddenly in my memory, I was walking by the back of one of our Houses hearing the noise and smell of washing up, remembering the cutlery baskets flung out outside the back door (wet after rinsing, but still encrusted with food particles) and the particular olfactory experience of plates dripping from a wooden draining rack.

That's how I reconnected.

Edit Alert! Edit Alert! I realise that this isn't about Speech Day 2011 at all... :roll: :roll: :roll: I was just tapping madly on the keyboard and submitting before later thinking that actually it belongs with Old Blues Day stuff! So Ms Moderator, please move it to a more accurate thread if necessary! :oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Your wish is my command Oh Mighty Wordsmith.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Thank you Mary, dear heart!

Tristan! I shouldn't be surprised if he isn't by now, say, a smooth, confident and prosperous young barrister. He just had that... that air about him. :wink: I was really impressed, and found myself nodding mutely in agreement as he informed me about the history of the School.

I wonder? I shall check for info about distinguished alumnii whenever The Old Blue arrives. Destined for a distinguished career, I thought.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Tristan Franklinos is now at the University of St. Andrews and, I believe, working with distinction. I think you can Google him....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

midget wrote:Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm gradually acquiring a battery of aids for the ailing -hired wheelchair, stairlift, extra step to get into the shower etc. I decided that I wouldn't go for palliative chemo--it would only give me an extra couple of months, with no chance of easing the breathing or coughing. I've had a visit from a hospice nurse, and am having Attendance Allowance fast-tracked. I feel very calm about the whole thing, but poor dear Joe is very distressed. In the words of Peter Pan "It wil be an awfully big adventure"
Oh dear, I've just caught sight of this and am a bit... well, thunderstruck. Lots and lots of love and positive thoughts from over here, midge.