Old Blues on You Tube...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian
Posts: 1419
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:53 pm
Real Name: michael scuffil
Location: germany

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by michael scuffil » Wed May 18, 2011 9:27 am

Trongon Charsley wrote:Excellent idea, Matt. Good luck with it.

Meanwhile there are several dozen YouTube videos of Old Blues to be enjoyed at my blog: http://trongon.blogspot.com.

Trongon: is there any way of downloading Mgr Bruce Harbert's piece?

Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
Th.B. 27 1955-63

Trongon Charsley
2nd Former
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Vincent Turner & Bruce Harbert

Post by Trongon Charsley » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Great Plum wrote:Some of you have probably heard of Frankmusik (Vincent Turner - I'm guessing his years were 97-05)
According to the CHOBA office, he did indeed arrive in 1997, but he left in 2004. Apparently he was in Maine A & Grecians East.
michael scuffil wrote:Trongon: is there any way of downloading Mgr Bruce Harbert's piece?
Yes - if you go to

http://www.gloria.tv/?media=72414

and rest your cursor on his face, a "Download this video" box should pop up at the top right-hand corner of the image.

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2957
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by Katharine » Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 pm

michael scuffil wrote:Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
We were often told that she was the only famous female OB so that was why we did not have names for our houses!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6955
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by englishangel » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Not an OB, and not my taste in stories, but this young man could not read when he left primary school!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXo2azWk5I
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am

Katharine wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
We were often told that she was the only famous female OB so that was why we did not have names for our houses!
Not all CH Houses are named after famous Old Blues -----

Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !

I am amazed at the number of present Blues, whom I have met, who believe it is connected to Barnes Wallis ! :oops:

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Re: Vincent Turner & Bruce Harbert

Post by Great Plum » Thu May 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Trongon Charsley wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Some of you have probably heard of Frankmusik (Vincent Turner - I'm guessing his years were 97-05)
According to the CHOBA office, he did indeed arrive in 1997, but he left in 2004. Apparently he was in Maine A & Grecians East.
That would make sense otherwise he would have been there 8 years! He was certainly in Maine B first as I was in Maine A 97-99 and it was still a senior house then!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:01 pm
Location: Leith

Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Rex » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Not all CH Houses are named after famous Old Blues -----

Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !
Never heard that one before, Neill. I've always understood it was named after the industrious Cambridge scholar Joshua Barnes (CH 1656-71), though many people - including Wikipedia - wrongly think it takes its name from Thomas Barnes (CH 1796-1804), the great editor of The Times.

Foureyes
Grecian
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:26 am
Real Name: David
Location: England

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by Foureyes » Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Just to settle this discussion concerning House names, E.H. Pearce, writing in his 1908 "Annals of Christ's Hospital" states (p343) that houses were named as follows:
Peele, George (1558-1597)
Thornton, Sir Edward (1766-1852) [Diplomat]
Middleton, Rt Rev Thomas Fanshaw (1769-1822) [Bishop of Calcutta]
Coleridge, Samuel Taylor (1772-1834)
Lamb, Charles (1755-1834)
Barnes, Joshua (1654-1712) [Regius Professor of Greek]
Maine, Sir Henry James Sumner (1822-1888) [Master of Trinity Hall]

As always with Housie there was disagreement about some of the names and many considered other Old Blues to be more worthy. There seems to have been considerable discussion over Peele, whose connection with the school was considered to be very flimsy, although his Wikipedia entry is quite clear on the subject. Anyway, that was the list that was decided upon.
:shock:

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by Great Plum » Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Tonight's you tube offering comes from Jeremy Dawson (87-94?) who has an unusual hobby - extreme cello playing!

This is taken from their impromptu gig at the top of Ben Nevis (having hauled the cellos up there!) Jeremy is the one in the middle I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1B9G-bzong

For more info, go to: www.extremecello.com
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

User avatar
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
3rd Former
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:32 am
Location: Woodford

Re: Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog » Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Rex wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !
Never heard that one before, Neill. I've always understood it was named after the industrious Cambridge scholar Joshua Barnes (CH 1656-71), though many people - including Wikipedia - wrongly think it takes its name from Thomas Barnes (CH 1796-1804), the great editor of The Times.

Isn't it named after Barns Green, then?

User avatar
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm
Real Name: NEILL PURDIE EVANS

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Sat May 21, 2011 4:49 pm

I only remember that the, said portrait was inscribed "Benefactor"
Easy enough to check ---- perhaps Barnes Mum might go into the counting house and find out ?


I am far enough away from her, not to receive a "Clip in the ear" !! :lol:

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14915
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by J.R. » Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 am

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I only remember that the, said portrait was inscribed "Benefactor"
Easy enough to check ---- perhaps Barnes Mum might go into the counting house and find out ?


I am far enough away from her, not to receive a "Clip in the ear" !! :lol:

Maybe you should get your ear pierced, then you wouldn't need a clip !!

:shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
Chrissie Boy
UF (Upper Fourth)
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Rotherham

Re: Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Chrissie Boy » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:Isn't it named after Barns Green, then?

I thought Barns Green was named after Barnes Wallis.

User avatar
Eruresto
Grecian
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:30 am
Real Name: Joshua Bell, Pe A 20 (GrW)
Location: Havant, UK
Contact:

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by Eruresto » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Great Plum wrote:My next one is a biggie - Christ's Hospital and Gene Simmons - the lead singer and womaniser from the rock band Kiss came and 'taught' at CH a group of LE (I think) for a series on Channel 4 called Rock School. Our very own Eruesto (Josh Bell) was the lead singer of the band called 'The Class'. The episode below is the final one in the series, filmed 6 months after they opened for Motorhead (yes really!) at the Hammersmith Apollo. 3 minutes in is quite chucklesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95N1OuWwNY&list=SL
Matt...I just don't know what to say.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14915
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by J.R. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Eruresto wrote:
Great Plum wrote:My next one is a biggie - Christ's Hospital and Gene Simmons - the lead singer and womaniser from the rock band Kiss came and 'taught' at CH a group of LE (I think) for a series on Channel 4 called Rock School. Our very own Eruesto (Josh Bell) was the lead singer of the band called 'The Class'. The episode below is the final one in the series, filmed 6 months after they opened for Motorhead (yes really!) at the Hammersmith Apollo. 3 minutes in is quite chucklesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95N1OuWwNY&list=SL

Matt...I just don't know what to say.

That makes a change, Josh !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Post Reply