The Leaving Hymn

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Re: The Leaving Hymn

Post by AKAP »

Kerren

If you do manage to scan the music for the leaving hymn I would like to have a copy, if possible.

Andrew

p.s
It would be my choice for a funeral, but I'm not intending to go yet.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'll try and find the hymnbook when I get home tonight, and bring it back to work tomorrow to scan it. Can you pm me your e mail address so I can send you the scan?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Steve
2nd Former

Post by Steve »

Many thanks for the offer, Kerren. I should be grateful if you would send it to me at peter@pstevenson.co.uk .

Many thanks,

Peter
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Dear Andy and Peter

I have found it and am e mailing it to you both.
I couldn't find it first time, because it's not listed in the index to the CH hymnbook.......!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

My hymn book has the Foundation Hymn as number 1
The edition, dated 1988, and dedicated to Joyce Anne Louise Fox -- a Donation Governor, was acquired by me at a "Sale" of tatty ones, in the Chapel at an Old Blues Day, some time ago.
I have it as a sort of memento, but the last time I was at CH, I see the ""New" ones have the "Votum" in as well, not so, in my day !
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I am fairly certain that there is a recording of the hymn on "Music for the Festive year" which may still be available from Amazon if not from CH. I have the music and the words, if all else fails.

.... and it is designated for my own funeral. I just hope I get sufficient warning of the coming of the Grim Reaper so that I may rehearse the choir fully beforehand.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I sincerely hope the Grim Reaper is a long way away, David. But if, when the time comes (and I am still here......by no means certain....) your Executors need the words and music, I have them saved to pdf......
Sorry to have missed OBD but glad to see that the sun shone and people seemed to have enjoyed themselves.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Vièr Bliu wrote:The hymn tune we're familiar with is an arrangement of a plainchant called Christe Redemptor (that may be what the hymn tune is called).

Even if you can't find a recording of the hymn, the plainchant is available, e.g. here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hymn-Christe-Re ... 764&sr=8-2

I remember the first time I was listening to a collection of Gregorian chant and it suddenly dawned on me that I knew the tune - it was the Leaving Hymn.
I had precisely this experience. The disc in question in my case was Sarum Chant, Missa in Gallicantu by The Tallis Scholars (Gimell CDGIM 017). (Christe Redemptor is one of the "fillers" on the CD after the actual mass is finished.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DavebytheSea wrote:I am fairly certain that there is a recording of the hymn on "Music for the Festive year" which may still be available from Amazon if not from CH. I have the music and the words, if all else fails.

.... and it is designated for my own funeral. I just hope I get sufficient warning of the coming of the Grim Reaper so that I may rehearse the choir fully beforehand.
Yes it is on that CD... (I was one of the choristers!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99