New blog on Christ's Hospital

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: New blog on Christ's Hospital

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
Foureyes wrote:
"...that starting ballgame - I don't recall the name..."
Stoolball.
:shock:

Quite possibly stoolball.

Still very popular around leafy Surrey and Sussex. Our local village has a very good ladies team.
Yes, it was. At the very short range it was difficult to miss the target - after persuading the batsman (no women in those days) that retiring a few feet was infinitely more desirable than standing close to the theoretical ball trajectory. Seemed to be the only way of escaping one infinitely boring event for an equally boring but where you could sit / lie down much of the time.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

just to let people know, i'm an aspiring writer and have started a small autobiographical blog of my time at CH, felt that the people on this excellent forum would be the people to show it to first.
http://mystoryofchristshospital.blogspot.com/
Hope you enjoy the story, it will be update regularly until the story is finished
I was wondering when the next entry will be?
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

I must say that as a new parent this makes very sad and worrying reading. The words' I hope you enjoy' on your blog seem very out of place. I sincerely hope that all schools, not just CH, stick to their zero tolerance policies on bullying.It certainly has been more in the limelight over the last 10 years and all staff will have received some sort of training on how to deal with bullying. I also hope your story has a happy ending!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I think this is a very sad subject.
I cannot, of course, comment on CH post 2000, but cetainly "Bullying" in any form (Unintentional pun !) is disgusting.
As has been said, in an earlier Post, there was little of it pre 1950, and, in my experience in the 40s.
It is probably true that the situation varied from House to House, bu very little in Ba B ---- although there has been at least one Post from a lady, so an up-to-date report might prove me wrong.
OK -- so I didn't get bullied because I was a little thug from Stockwell, but I think it depends on the level.
I do remember a boy who seemed to exhibit more feminine tendencies, and was always referred to as "Her"-------- I now realise that this might have caused the poor chap a great deal of distress, but then I have since grown up --(A bit !)
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Just a little out of the box thinking - I suppose that the 'author' (and it is described as a 'story') is actually writing 'fact' rather than 'fiction' and having just re-read this 'blog' it could be seen as being a little short on facts that can be checked... for instance no actual description of the school or boarding houses or structure of the school. A few interesting facts - like 'tuck' - which could be guessed at by anyone.

This is by no means an attack on the blog - but I do hope that we are not falling for some sort of hoax which may have a sting in the tail in the future.

Oh and another little oddity..... the 'blog' appears to be from a 12 year old boy..... yet the person posting on this Forum appears to have a real name of Sally S - I suppose the 'author' could be writing from a male stand point or may even have witnessed things happening to a boy or it may just be the conspiracy theorist in me!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Chris Blewett wrote:Just a little out of the box thinking - I suppose that the 'author' (and it is described as a 'story') is actually writing 'fact' rather than 'fiction' and having just re-read this 'blog' it could be seen as being a little short on facts that can be checked... for instance no actual description of the school or boarding houses or structure of the school. A few interesting facts - like 'tuck' - which could be guessed at by anyone.

This is by no means an attack on the blog - but I do hope that we are not falling for some sort of hoax which may have a sting in the tail in the future.

Oh and another little oddity..... the 'blog' appears to be from a 12 year old boy..... yet the person posting on this Forum appears to have a real name of Sally S - I suppose the 'author' could be writing from a male stand point or may even have witnessed things happening to a boy or it may just be the conspiracy theorist in me!
You're posting as Chris Blewett but you are in fact Miss Marple :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Definately was not a 1980's old blue as there were no locks allowed on the tuck lockers. Bob Sillett's view was I think "if you needed to lock things up then it was because the trust needed in a boarding house had broken down". Generally "tuck thieves" were very much looked down on. Some things were deemed almost communal property - mugs and cutlery springing to mind but consumerables were generally safe. Higher up the school i do remember bicycles had to be locked up or they wandered to other houses as well, unless they were obviously expensive looking decent bikes in which case they were safe.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

wurzel wrote:Definately was not a 1980's old blue as there were no locks allowed on the tuck lockers. Bob Sillett's view was I think "if you needed to lock things up then it was because the trust needed in a boarding house had broken down". Generally "tuck thieves" were very much looked down on. Some things were deemed almost communal property - mugs and cutlery springing to mind but consumerables were generally safe. Higher up the school i do remember bicycles had to be locked up or they wandered to other houses as well, unless they were obviously expensive looking decent bikes in which case they were safe.
My late grandmother ordered a first day cover of british garden birds in the sixties which she sent to CH.

Somebody nicked it and I never discovered the culprit although I had my suspicions!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Thinking about it there were no locks on the tuck lockers in LHB - the room was kept locked as I recall!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Chris Blewett wrote:Just a little out of the box thinking - I suppose that the 'author' (and it is described as a 'story') is actually writing 'fact' rather than 'fiction' and having just re-read this 'blog' it could be seen as being a little short on facts that can be checked... for instance no actual description of the school or boarding houses or structure of the school. A few interesting facts - like 'tuck' - which could be guessed at by anyone.

You're posting as Chris Blewett but you are in fact Miss Marple :wink:
Are you saying I'm old and female!!!! :D
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

LHB Tuck room door was only ever locked in my day as a punishment when the entire house was deprived of their tuck for a weekend once. That was when the tuckroom was the room opposite the base of the fire escape stairs.
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

wurzel wrote:LHB Tuck room door was only ever locked in my day as a punishment when the entire house was deprived of their tuck for a weekend once. That was when the tuckroom was the room opposite the base of the fire escape stairs.
Just as well it was when I was there - my tuck would never have lasted until the next leave day!!!! It was quite a thing when JDS or NMP opened the door - especially if they were late!!!

:wink:
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

No - I am Sally S and I merely posted on the forum - I did not do the blog or post the original link to it. I have nothing whatsoever to do with it! And would not want to either, as I was concerned about the content and standard of writing.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

The writer of the blog is registered on the forum as CHblogspot and gives no other information and no "real" name. Like Chri Blewett, I am unsure as to the validity of the blog. Seems weird that he/she joined seemingly in order to make the post, and has only made one other post since; a reply to someone asking when he was at CH.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Sorry - typo! I meant "Chris"!!