HOUSEY UNIFORM

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

HOUSEY UNIFORM

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Does anyone recall the precise date when the wearing of school uniform outside the school premises was discontinued? I believe that this was something to do with trouble in Horsham with the locals. When I left at the beginning of the 1948 school
term I was issued with a "demob" kit, The only exceptions now to this rule are presumably the St. Matthews's Day parade and the School Band appearances at various locations or whether they travelled home in full Housey.
My CH issue included a brown sports jacket, grey flannel trousers, a blue shirt, tie and a pair of black shoes.
I cannot remember now if school leavers at the end of a term were permitted to wear civilian attire.
Chris Bartlett

CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Re: HOUSEY UNIFORM

Post by CHDad »

I do know for certain that pupils wear their houseys to away sports fixtures as well.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

FWIW

1952 to 1961 during the winter terms we always wore full uniform out of school simply because we had no civvies.
In the summer term, if it was warm, we might wear grey cricket flannels or housey breeches and yellow stockings, white shirt, blue cravat (yes!!!!) and a blazer with our house badge on it. Again, in theory, we were not allowed to have civvies. With a ten to twelve hour journey home I got into flannels as soon as I got on the train out of Paddington or Reading but the rule was that we had to remain in full uniform until we got home. Remembering that one boy had to go to Ireland and another to ? Hong Kong ...............
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

I grew up near Horsham and clearly remember seeing boys in Housey in the first half of the 1980s in town on Saturdays.
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

In about 1981 or 1982 a friend of mine did a teacher training placement in Horsham and I went with her one weekend to help at the school fete. The school was near a church at the bottom of The Causeway, and as we approached through the churchyard we saw a boy in Housey leaning against one of the gravestones snogging his girlfriend. My friend's jaw dropped: "Look at that vicar!" she said.

Although I am not from the area, thankfully I was aware of CH and its distinctive uniform so I was able to explain and preserve the reputation of the local clergy!
simongibbs
3rd Former

Post by simongibbs »

Not only had the wearing of the uniform outside the school grounds not been discontinued by 1990 but my recollection is that it was compulsory to wear the uniform on trips to Horsham during term time (other than leave days). The theory was that this would prevent pupils visiting pubs or being able to buy alcohol if they were in full uniform.

One would still occasionally see younger pupils wearing the uniform to go home for the holidays and I certainly did on a few occasions when younger.

And, of course, if you want to get into the Tower of London for free you need to turn up in uniform.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

simongibbs wrote: And, of course, if you want to get into the Tower of London for free you need to turn up in uniform.
Does it work and has anyone used that privilege?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

jhopgood wrote:
simongibbs wrote: And, of course, if you want to get into the Tower of London for free you need to turn up in uniform.
Does it work and has anyone used that privilege?[/quo

I certainly did in about 1952
Col A 1946-1953
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

yes it works - frequently done by e.g. Grecians after St Matthew`s Day parade
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I know a couple of people who work at the tower (one a yeoman warder) and I believe they are all made aware of the right to free entry by C.H pupils in Housey.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

We ALL wore uniform outside CH ----- remember it was Wartime and Clothes rationing.
We were NEVER, as I remember, allowed into Horsham, at all.
The theory being that, if we were to return bearing the germs of the "Dreaded Lurgi" or the like, it would spread through the closed community of the School, like wildfire !

Now that contact with the wider world is permitted ---- has this ever happened ?
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I remember that during my first year at CH my parents wanted me to wear Housie uniform on a number of occasions during the school holidays, i.e meeting relatives and going to church on Christmas morning, My worst moment was being in school uniform in Guildford waiting to meet a relative and seeing a Coleridge A contemporary in civilian clothes in the distance. I hastily tried to avoid him.
Chris Bartlett
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Neill wrote:
We were NEVER, as I remember, allowed into Horsham, at all.
The theory being that, if we were to return bearing the germs of the "Dreaded Lurgi" or the like, it would spread through the closed community of the School, like wildfire !

Now that contact with the wider world is permitted ---- has this ever happened ?
Oh yes! The whole school was closed down for a week about two years back due to an outbreak of swine flu. Mind you, I'm not sure that the source was ever traced to the germ-laden natives of Horsham. :lol:

Whatever would the wartime old guard make of today's CH, with its day pupils and regular exeats?
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And of the plan to recruit large numbers of international pupils from Asia and Europe- possibly enough to fill a House?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I believe that JR and myself, are excused any comments ! :lol:

I mean, apart from anything else --------- GIRLS ????

(Actually --- I for one would have been delighted !!! ) 8)