CH Scouts

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Cazzro
3rd Former

Re: CH Scouts

Post by Cazzro »

The scouts are doing fine just to let you all know, i'm not a member myself as i prefer C.C.F but some of my friends go and the teacher who runs it is quite passionate about it so it should live on :)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I have checked this out with the current Housie Scout Master. The troop is undoubtedly a little shorter on numbers than he would like, but otherwise all is well. It appears that the originator of the 'scare' was overcome with enthusiasm in an effort to sell his company. He has now faded from the picture and retreated into well-deserved obscurity. No longer a problem.
:shock:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

With regards to scouts, my son is a member and really enjoys it, but it's a shame it's an active. There are other actives that he'd like to try and because they only have one choice, if he wants to try something different it will means stopping scouts.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

I agree, when my son started at CH, scouts was on Weds evenings, now it is an active he has stopped going.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

I agree with pinkhebe and chdad - my dd wanted to join the scouts, but is in the junior drama production and couldn't do both actives.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I agree, when my son started at CH, scouts was on Weds evenings, now it is an active he has stopped going.
So why did the Wednesday evening meetings stop? As parents of active scouts were you kept informed, and were you and your children given any opportunity to feed back before this decision was taken? It does seem sad that pupils who have previously enjoyed scouts now have to choose between this and other interests. And with a rolling programme of different actives, won't this mean that children must decide whether to drop out or rejoin from term to term - this must make things very difficult for the staff who run the CH scout troop!
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

I'm sure my daughter would love to join the scouts, given the real opportunity. Actives are all very well for allowing children to try different things, plus of course variety is always good. But it doesn't allow them to commit to an activity they really enjoy and want to continue. My daughter is loving CH, but I do feel sad for her that she is not able to continue with some of her interests. :(
NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

I fear that I am so ancient,as to be unaware what an "Active" is ------

I shall be at the 65+ re-union, on 28th March --- when I shall enquire, --- confident that no-one will know either ! :oops:
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

On Monday afternoons pupils (in the junior school at least - not sure about seniors) can choose a different activity to try. Some of these are sporting e.g Badminton, squash, however there are lots of non sporting ones as well like Drama. Scouting is now an optional Monday "active". If other children are like my son they like to try out a different active each term which means that cannot continue with their Scouting.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

CHDad wrote:On Monday afternoons pupils (in the junior school at least - not sure about seniors) can choose a different activity to try. Some of these are sporting e.g Badminton, squash, however there are lots of non sporting ones as well like Drama. Scouting is now an optional Monday "active". If other children are like my son they like to try out a different active each term which means that cannot continue with their Scouting.
When I was a lad back in the dark ages scouts was one of the options along with the various branches of the CCF and Police cadets.

Do they still have the CCF?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:
CHDad wrote:On Monday afternoons pupils (in the junior school at least - not sure about seniors) can choose a different activity to try. Some of these are sporting e.g Badminton, squash, however there are lots of non sporting ones as well like Drama. Scouting is now an optional Monday "active". If other children are like my son they like to try out a different active each term which means that cannot continue with their Scouting.
When I was a lad back in the dark ages scouts was one of the options along with the various branches of the CCF and Police cadets.

Do they still have the CCF?
and before that there was the compulsory CCF for older (?14 years old) pupils and also peeps had to be out of the house for two hours or so every Tuesday afternoon. Scouts, wireless, fishing and photography were just some of the possible activities available at that time. The CCF, after Cert A, had the Civil Defence Section as one of the possibilities and it was possible to tie that into scout training.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

This subject has been moribund for over a decade but I thought I'd seek to resurrect it to see if anyone can advise what happened to the CH Scout Group. There is no mention of it on the extra-curricular activities page of the CH official website and the Scout Headquarters looked very much as if it had been repurposed entirely when I was back for the 1980 / 81 / 82 leavers' reunion earlier this month. I assume, therefore, that it has ceased to be though I note that there are still opportunities to complete the Duke of Edinburgh's awards and that the CCF seems still to be going strong.

Most scouting activities took place at the weekends including camping and youth-hostelling which was a great way of getting away from the school before being a day pupils or weekly boarding and other options became the norm. We also had lots of holiday activities including boating on the Norfolk Broads, Youth Hostelling in the Lake District as well as the official Summer Camps which took place in either North Wales, South Wales or North Staffordshire if I recall correctly. Venture Scout Camps with Mr Waller took place in Europe as well. As this was the 1970s when even the Middle Classes didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together, these were the only holidays that most pupils and their families could afford.

I have no doubt that, stand fast the full fee-payers, the economic straights in which CH parents find themselves now are probably not that dissimilar to the dysfunctional 70s, it is a pity that such opportunities no longer exist. Amongst other things, I learned to cook on Scout expeditions which was one of the most useful things I learned at CH.

Any further information on what happened would be appreciated.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:49 pm

I have no doubt that, ............. the economic straights in which CH parents find themselves now are probably not that dissimilar to the dysfunctional 70s, it is a pity that such opportunities no longer exist. Amongst other things, I learned to cook on Scout expeditions which was one of the most useful things I learned at CH.
Think back to the 50s when even rich parents would be poor by today's standards. Scouts learned to survive on minimal equipment. Formal camps were on the other side of Big Side but small groups could and did get away at weekends, raw food being supplied by the kitchen.
Of course, in them dark days, just getting the other side of the fence was a relief and once escaped the possibilities were endless. Of course a number of us enjoyed rock climbing (training for the six week moving camp!) and an invited trip to Buckingham Palace but, in the same way , we could have gone to the coast or ..........
Now it seems that the pupils have endless freedom** and all sorts of other possibilities - even trips home for the weekend (?) instead of being locked up in near prison conditions for up to twelve weeks at a time.
^^ heck - they can even play pop tunes and phone girl/boy friends (or even mummy) - no wonder active clubs might fail. I have to wonder if they have forgotten how to write home occasionally!

As for myself, the militarianism was to pay dividends in later life - no homesickness, being able to survive, prosper and even enjoy different and sometimes dangerous and less civilised places, to accept that UK norms and ideas are not always the best, to understand and accept the validity of white "voodoo and its equivalents, to eat foreign foods without apparent worry (no, I haven't been offered uncooked sheeps eyeballs but I was present when cooked testicles were presented for consumption). By contrast I have seen well educated Brits simply fall apart when abroad because of the differences.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

So has anyone got an update on the CH Scout troop?
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75