Corporal Punishment by CH Teaching staff

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Corporal Punishment by CH Teaching staff

Post by J.R. »

Would he have been there in my time, David ? I am fractionally younger than you, but the name doesn't do a Quasimodo with me !

Imagine that today ! A teacher striking a pupil in the face. The press would have a field-day !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Would he have been there in my time, David ? I am fractionally younger than you, but the name doesn't do a Quasimodo with me !

Imagine that today ! A teacher striking a pupil in the face. The press would have a field-day !!
Remember that Tim is 11+ years younger than me. I agree about a teacher deliberately striking a pupil in the face
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Must of been a good 'hush-up' job then !
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

No - that was Dickie Dawes - he went on to be head of Westminster Prep. He was a Prep B junior housemaster, but still managed to beat me even though I was in Prep A.

All the prep masters used the gym shoe for "cracks". I would describe "Weed" as the only one who was reluctant and inflicted no pain when performing his duties. The cane was used for more serious infringements of rules. Gregory seemed to enjoy himself - as did Jones.

Every Sunday before bed 'D cracks" would be inflicted on those boys who had accumulated 3 "Ds" - for dirty - received at matrons' nightly inspection from Haigh/Van Alfen.

Thereafter, "Pongo" Littlefield and Tom Keeley were rather keen on corporal punishment, with a cane, for almost any infringement.

It was very common during the sixties.

Should I sue?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

tim stonhill wrote:Does anyone remember a master Dawes I think his name was. His middle finger on one hand had been broken at some time and had been set in a bent position. He smacked me in the mouth one day in class and this finger caught my front teeth and knocked one out. CH have paid for all dental work on this tooth for the last 40 years - and I can tell you it's thousands! Even now, living in Australia, they would still pay without question (I hope!).
I think you are referring to Dickie Dawe Tim and I have to say that I am surprised to read this.

My own experiences of Dickie Dawe were positive. He taught me English and under his tutelage I exceeded expectations at "O" level to the extent that I took the subject at "A" level when, sadly, I reverted back to my natural level.

I also remember him running an ornithology society and taking us on trips to Warnham Ponds to watch the water fowl amongst other places roundabout.

He could also handle a cricket bat and I can recall watching him smack the Prep bowlers halfway down The Avenue with a sawn down bat.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I always thought Dickie Dawes had played rugby for Harlequins and that his bent finger was a rugby injury. Like Andy I have no memory of him as having a reputation for violence or quick temper which would be strange as we soon learnt which masters had a violent tendency.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Dick Dawe did indeed have his finger broken during a rugby match. By the time he got to hospital, nothing could be done about the nerve damage, so the paralysis that had already set in remained with him for the rest of his life. In the eyes of the boys, it imbued him with a certain cool-value along the lines of Dave Allen's missing half-finger.

In my day Dick Dawe was housemaster of LHA and to put it mildly he wasn't the sort of bloke you could easily imagine simultaneously assaulting a pupil and carrying out unlicensed dentistry. I'm left wondering in which year the incident occurred. I myself was at CH forty-odd years ago and don't recall either the event or the name Tim Stonhill, but then maybe Tim was higher up the school than I was and was therefore off my radar. Or maybe his surname wasn't Stonhill at the time.

A bad business, though.

Didn't Dick Dawe have a reasonably tasty wife? Or am I getting confused?
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Yes, Harlequins ... he caught his finger in the neck of an opponent's shirt. Always used it as an example to discourage high tackles.

Yes, Tasty wife ... widowed mother of one of my contemporaries (and 4 other kids! Large instant family.)

Very nice man, but I do recall him flipping-out a few times. Not surprising really when you consider what charming kids we were.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Yes, Harlequins ... he caught his finger in the neck of an opponent's shirt. Always used it as an example to discourage high tackles.

Yes, Tasty wife ... widowed mother of one of my contemporaries (and 4 other kids! Large instant family.)

Very nice man, but I do recall him flipping-out a few times. Not surprising really when you consider what charming kids we were.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

oops!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So 'tasty' you had to say it twice eh, Yamaha ??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

She was!

Speaking of flip-outs. He used to throw pieces of chalk -and throw them very hard- at people who dozed off in class.
Once he missed his target and needed another missile, but had run out of chalk.
A boy remarked that he had run out of ammo and he started shouting "What do you mean?" several times at the top of his voice.
It was a Latin class so the meaning of the comment may have been open to misinterpretation, but it was very strange.
That was interesting, wasn't it?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bob Rae used to use blackboard rubbers, if memory serves !
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:Bob Rae used to use blackboard rubbers, if memory serves !
It was nearly always chalk when I was in his class.
As a man of habit, he always threw his brief case on to the desk as he came in, but stopped this when someone opened the window and the the brief case ended up outside.
NT Fryer had a bit of a temper, throwing a whole pile of books on to someone who, not having noticed his arrival, didn't stand up when he came in.
I have difficulty in remembering any masters who had a bad temper, in fact, in some cases they appeared less able to control us than we them.
Pupils disappearing under sinks in Matthews classes, trains with the movable desks in someone else's, pupils disappearing when the master (Biddick) was late in arriving, covering the back of the blackboard with photos taken from a cheaper version of Playboy (Bibby), and amazingly nothing was ever said.
Mind you, from some of the other masters had some quite cruel verbal put downs.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:
J.R. wrote:Bob Rae used to use blackboard rubbers, if memory serves !
It was nearly always chalk when I was in his class.
As a man of habit, he always threw his brief case on to the desk as he came in, but stopped this when someone opened the window and the the brief case ended up outside.
NT Fryer had a bit of a temper, throwing a whole pile of books on to someone who, not having noticed his arrival, didn't stand up when he came in.
I have difficulty in remembering any masters who had a bad temper, in fact, in some cases they appeared less able to control us than we them.
Pupils disappearing under sinks in Matthews classes, trains with the movable desks in someone else's, pupils disappearing when the master (Biddick) was late in arriving, covering the back of the blackboard with photos taken from a cheaper version of Playboy (Bibby), and amazingly nothing was ever said.
Mind you, from some of the other masters had some quite cruel verbal put downs.
Potts got more than a bit verbal when he came into the classroom to find almost everyone pouring water over three poor souls.
Whilst he had been out of the room an explosion (definitely accidental) had covered them with 30N NaOH which is an exceptionally nasty strong burning chemical. They were lucky - slight "sunburn" but their clothes destroyed. After that we heard nothing when he trod on dry ammonium iodide (or whatever it is called) from time to time. Other than that I don't recall any untoward behaviour by teachers in the classrooms; perhaps it was so common that it didn't register.