Some Sad News - Michael Carrington

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Some Sad News - Michael Carrington

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

It's my sad duty to pass on the news that Michael Carrington, aka JMC (or "Boomer") has passed away. According to Joe Sillett (LHB/LHA 83-90), he was playing golf when he died.

A true gentlemen, he taught English during my time at CH, and although I never actually had a lesson with him, we had many a conversation whilst I watched and photographed Athletics, which he was in charge of for some time. He was also ideal for announcements in Dining Hall due to his incredibly loud, deep voice.

I remember being "boomed" by him as a squit after late trades in Dining Hall. Ash Whiting & I had finished cleaning and we couldn't find him so we left. We got as far as Barnes B then the dark February evening was split apart by the loudest voice I had ever heard shouting "MAINE B! COME BACK!!" We did as we were told. I was never "boomed" again as it shook me up a bit, being only 11!!!

My condolences go to his family.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Re: Some Sad News - Michael Carrington

Post by Avon »

RIP. He was a great bloke and definitely one of the characters at CH.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I'm very sad to read this.

In my mind's eye I can see him now on the track watching and encouraging Galbraith high jumping in his quest for a school record, Rhodes throwing the discus or Sean Phelan metronomically churning out laps with JMC at the stop watch bellowing encouragement.

I think it's fair to say that, apart from some help from Chris Read the metalwork teacher, JMC (or "Des" as he was nicknamed when I was there) single handedly kept athletics going during my time.

Julian Garner, the OB playwright, pays a far better tribute than I could attempt on page 8 of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=317&start=105

Further down the same page I've posted some more personal memories and a link to another thread if they are of interest.

Here is an obituary from Sussex Athletics which also states the funeral arrangements as follows:

The funeral details are as follows:

Venue Surrey and Sussex Crematorium also known as: Worth Crematorium. Balcombe Road Crawley West Sussex, RH10 3NQ

Date Thursday, April 5th

Time 3pm

http://www.sussexathletics.org.uk/news.php?id=1139

RIP Mr Carrington.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Is it ok with both of you if I use some of your comments when compiling an obit for Michael Carrington for the next issue of The Old Blue?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Very Sad, taught me my 'o' level set texts, and I remember him being quite dismissive of the Terence Stamp/Julie Christie film version of 'Far from the madding crowd' as being too shallow and not showing the depth Hardy gave his characters.

His sone John was a non-foundationer in my house - my condolences to him and the rest of the family.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Jo wrote:Is it ok with both of you if I use some of your comments when compiling an obit for Michael Carrington for the next issue of The Old Blue?
By all means if anything I've said is considered worthy.

As it used to say, and still may, on football pools coupons I'll stick an X in the box for no publicity though!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

For information :
Mike Carrington's funeral will be held at Worth Crematorium near Crawley at 3.00pm on Thursday 5th April.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Jo wrote:Is it ok with both of you if I use some of your comments when compiling an obit for Michael Carrington for the next issue of The Old Blue?
No problem with me either Jo - you have a pm.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have only just caught up on this sad news, and annoyingly, the name rings a massive bell, and I'm almost sure I was taught by him at some stage, but I just cannot recollect the face.

Can anyone help ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Here you go J.R.

JMC handing out the B leagues trophy in 1986. I am the small one on the right!!

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Many thanks, Dave, though 23 years would have passed and it doesn't really help !

Maybe I was thinking of someone else.
grayment
2nd Former

Post by grayment »

Mike arrived in Maine B very soon after I did, aged about 12/13, in 1961/2. He was a breath of fresh air - big, energetic and exuding confidence. He was the only master who could, occasionally, persuade me that playing rugger could be enjoyable. I was more engaged by his passion for literature and the theatre - and he wasted no time in sweeping away the cobwebs of feeble one-act house plays which were standard fare then; he directed us in Shaw's "Arms and the Man" in December 1962, in the dayroom, of course: all the long tables were assembled at the window end to form the stage, and basic scenery was erected from canvas flats - the monitors' studies were convenient "wings". A set of curtains was put in place, and some spotlights were positioned at the other end of the room.
The next year we tackled Wilde with, of course, "The Importance of Being Earnest" - but we put this on in the Prep Hall, allowing for more elaborate scenery and production values.
A few years later a group of us, as Deputy Grecians, decided to put on a moderndress production of Ben Jonson's "Volpone", which we had read and studied with Mike in the classroom; and I was to direct it. We were allowed to put it on in Big School, and David Sherratt, a lively polymath of a teacher from the Prep, threw in his lot with us and painted and built the scenery. On the day of the first night - CRISIS - one of my leading actors had come down with a tummy bug - although many years later I learned that there may have been machinations from above to prevent the show from going ahead due to our perhaps too subversive approach to the play - and that the actor playing Mosca may have been "leaned on" to throw a sickie -; but whatever the truth of the matter, I was left with a big problem. Mike was the master on duty at the head of the table at lunchtime that day, and we discussed what we could do. "Well, Jeffcoat," he said, "you know, you could always go on and read the part from the book - what do you think?" This had never occurred to me - and although it seemed a daunting prospect, and would require rapid rehearsal for another actor to take on the small part I had been playing myself - that is exactly what we did. Typical Mike - inspiring confidence, a swift, problem-solving approach which made me believe I could do it.
My one other standout memory of Mike is that when Churchill died in 1965 (?I think), he invited a group of us senior boys to his house on the road between the avenue and the quarter mile, to watch the funeral on television.
Nigel Jeffcoat. Prep B and Maine B. 1958-1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice to have you on board, Nigel - Remember me ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

J.R. wrote:Nice to have you on board, Nigel - Remember me ?

If he doesn't, he's suffering from a serious neurological condition, which, to judge by his post, he isn't.

As to the photo, I wouldn't have recognized Mike Carrington from it either, so I can't blame JR for any lapse here. I remember him particularly as being very tall, black-haired, and wearing glasses with thick black rims.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
J.R. wrote:Nice to have you on board, Nigel - Remember me ?

If he doesn't, he's suffering from a serious neurological condition,
which, to judge by his post, he isn't.

As to the photo, I wouldn't have recognized Mike Carrington from it either, so I can't blame JR for any lapse here. I remember him particularly as being very tall, black-haired, and wearing glasses with thick black rims.

Not sure how to take that, Michael !