More sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

More sad news

Post by HowardH »

I am sad to report that Ron Lorimer, former Housemaster of Middleton A and Head of Geography, passed away at Worthing Hospital on Saturday 14th April.
As soon as details of his funeral are announced I will publish them.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: More sad news

Post by michael scuffil »

He was probably the first master to appear on the dais for lunch WITHOUT A JACKET (shock, horror, collapse of various stout parties). But he underwent an amazing transformation: to start with, he cultivated a somewhat clownish image, but later became a veritable pillar of the establishment (or so I'm told: I'd left by then).

Well liked, I think, by all.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Very sad news, Howard.

I remember him joining the staff.

He taught me Geography, I think for two years ! One of the 'nice-guys', when you got to know his ways.

Even as a young lad, I was very tall but he seemed to me to be the tallest master of his day.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

How sad to read of the death of my old Middleton A Housemaster, Ron Lorimer, so soon after the death of Michael Carrington.

A mere average "O" level in geography does not qualify me to speak of Ron's teaching expertise although I have fond memories from the second form of Monday afternoon double periods in the Scout Hut with Ron learning about the rivers Arun, Adur, Mole and Wey along with the contrasting physical geography of the area surrounding the School and the South Downs. I also know that he was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and I doubt that such fellowships are handed out too easily.

I had something of a "love hate" relationship with Ron in that I initially felt he picked on me unfairly. However I gradually realised that he was trying to shake me out of my somewhat blinkered one-eyed approach to both activities and opinions and encourage me to be more rounded and flexible in my approach. In other words to take an interest in more than just sport and not to think that mine was the only "right" opinion!

He was quite enlightened by the standards of the late sixties and early seventies in that he would invite us into his study to watch Match of The Day on a Saturday night and give us a beer. That sounds terribly tame in 2012 but seemed quite radical in those pre Grecians' Club times. He readily admitted that football was not something he was particularly interested in by choice but, as part of teaching the "rounded" approach referred to above perhaps, he practised what he preached by sacrificing part of his Saturday night to watch it with us.

He was dedicated to Middleton A yet still found time to chair the Debating Society (something he encouraged me to join) and help with the RAF section of the CCF and the scouts during my time.

After I'd left I met him about 5 or 6 years later at an Old Blue's wedding. We had a few drinks together and then, once the bride and groom departed, went elsewhere and had a few more. We chatted about a number of different things, work amongst them. I asked him something along the lines of whether he ever resented the fact that life as a CH Master demanded far more time than many other teaching jobs. His reply was to state absolutely not. CH to him was a way of life and there was tremendous satisfaction in seeing gifted but sometimes vulnerable children grow into rounded confident young men. (The girls were still in Hertford).

That response for me sums up his absolute dedication to CH and I, and many others, benefited from it.

RIP Ron.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
MidA46
2nd Former

Post by MidA46 »

John Shippen sent me an email this morning about the this news. Ron was my house master when I joined Mid A in 1969. I hope that we will hear news of his funeral as I would like to go. If anyone has news of this please would they post it. I have many fond memories of Ron or Osram as he was called ( as in the make of light bulbs). Geography was my main subject and he taught me in my A level course along with JDS.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

MidA46 wrote:John Shippen sent me an email this morning about the this news. Ron was my house master when I joined Mid A in 1969. I hope that we will hear news of his funeral as I would like to go. If anyone has news of this please would they post it. I have many fond memories of Ron or Osram as he was called ( as in the make of light bulbs). Geography was my main subject and he taught me in my A level course along with JDS.
Good to see you on the forum again Peter and well done on your bike ride last year.

A shame it is in such sad circumstances though.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
StephensH
2nd Former

Post by StephensH »

Ron, as Assistant Housemaster at Peele A, with Mr Beavan - before his (Ron's) contribution to Mid.A., was as a caring, considerate and encouraging man.

As a geographer, following in the hollowed steps of George Newbury, he was the best of his time and with Dr. Gordon van Praagh living along the Peele corrider access to learning about the world was unsurpassed. He was an inspirational man: pure and simple, who spoke with first hand knowledge of places near and far and in all climates. As a result I have not travelled anywhere (and extensively), be it for business, or pleasure without looking at the world around me and thinking about how the landscapes were formed, and how they have been used since time began.

Since my leaving CH nearly 50 years ago, he would talk to me of his recent expeditions and exploits, whilst remembering my parents (mother an OB) and brothers (both OB's), on first name terms as if he had met them a few days ago when in reality he and I might meet only every few years. Of all the people in a crowd he'd be the one I'd want to talk to first and most. His smiling face and individual chuckle, speed of thought and sense of humour were always something to be appreciated.

He was one of the school's great teachers of life and the world around us. He was amongst the very best of an illustrious list of Geography teachers. It is truly sad that he is no longer with us.
Last edited by StephensH on Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
George Stephens (Peele A 1956-1963)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:Very sad news, Howard.

I remember him joining the staff.

He taught me Geography, I think for two years ! One of the 'nice-guys', when you got to know his ways.

Even as a young lad, I was very tall but he seemed to me to be the tallest master of his day.

From CHOBA News

Those Old Blues Who Are No Longer With Us

Ronald Lorimer (CH staff 58-92), died 14th April 2012

I thought it was a year or two later that he joined.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Ron Lorimer's Thanksgiving Service

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

MidA46 wrote:I hope that we will hear news of his funeral as I would like to go. If anyone has news of this please would they post it.
Details were in The Guardian the other day. Cremation was private but there's to be a Thanksgiving Service at St Mary's Church, Chiddingstone, Kent this Friday (4th May) at 2.00pm. Donations and all inquiries c/o H J Johnston & Son tel 01892 870372.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

J.R. wrote: From CHOBA News

Those Old Blues Who Are No Longer With Us

Ronald Lorimer (CH staff 58-92), died 14th April 2012

I think so too. I recall him as a 'fairly new' master when I left.

In his early days, he and Ken Collyer (who joined at the same time but didn't stay all that long) were buddies known for their somewhat laddish demeanour.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Ron Lorimer's date of arrival

Post by Rex »

J.R. wrote:Ronald Lorimer (CH staff 58-92), died 14th April 2012

michael scuffil wrote:I think so too. I recall him as a 'fairly new' master when I left.
Well, I know how an error can reproduce itself in document after document, but just for the record: Ron's date of arrival was given as 1958 in The Blue when he retired; in the last edition of the CH Club Roll of Members; in Who's Blue 1997; and in the Directory of Old Blues 2003. So if this is a mistake, it's one with a certain pedigree.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Give or take a year or two, it is still a remarkably long time. I wonder how many CH masters in the 20th century stayed longer. Even such an obvious perennial as AH Buck was there for 'only' 28 years.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
npvarley
2nd Former

Post by npvarley »

I have only heard of Ron Lorimer's death today. As my housemaster in Mid A, he was always a genial fellow, even if he did have certain ideas about how things should be done that did not always match my own!

I, and other Old Blues based in Hong Kong at the time, enjoyed a very convivial dinner with Ron when he passed through HK in 1990, I think it was.

Coming so soon on the heels of the news about Mike Carrington, it is another sad loss and a sobering reflection on the passing of the years. I still remember Mike Carrington's spelling tests like it was yesterday!
theosteel
2nd Former

Post by theosteel »

I went to Ron's memorial service yesterday in the delights of Chiddingstone church - built of greensand rather appropriately. Knew he went to Judd but not that he was brought up on a farm there.

Two superb tributes from John Shippen and Frank Pattisson that as you would expect captured the essence of the man.

At the gathering afterwards, in what was a good pastiche of the Scout Hut (well actually the scout hut was a good pastiche of the church hall I think!) some of those who've written here exchanged fond memories.

His slide assisted lessons were notable, in more recent times it was good to meet up at mainly Pembroke College reunions. Lovely to be reminded by JDS that going to Ron's old College at Oxford cost be a Scholarship at John's as there was only a geography Exhibition at Pembroke.

Happy memories and may Ron rest in peace after a difficult final 2 years

Theo Steel
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I'm pleased all went well and that there was a good Old Blue presence.

I had hoped to be there myself but urgent family issues have taken over.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72