School Prospectus

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: School Prospectus

Post by J.R. »

My copy of the Prospectus has now received the 'Green' option, in the green bin !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks Richard!
Are you well?
I just got home from Speech Day, where the Head Master delivered a speech (largely similar to his recent letter to Governors), outlining the changes and challenges that have faced CH since its foundation.. and drawing attention to the fact that the school today is very different to that which it was only 30 years ago. The current challenge is financial, and in order to survive, the school must increase its intake of full fee paying pupils, most of whom may well come from overseas. He spoke convincingly but... I wondered if the Speech Day audience was the right one?
And in my day, the Head did not deliver a speech at all on Speech Day.
At least they have reintroduced The Votum (the Carmen to Hertford Old Blues) - but it was interesting to see how many of the participants were singing it from the words on the programme. In my day...... yes.... we had to learn it by heart! (although there is a Horsham-specific verse which we did not have at Hertford)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thanks for the up-date Kerren - Very interesting, indeed.

So do we have to assume that if things go the way that it appears the 'new-order' want it to go, then non-fee paying entrants will have to be a lot more intelligent and have a lot more to offer academicaly than the fee paying entrants ?

After all - 'THE CURRENT CHALLENGE IS FINANCIAL', to quote from the speech you mentioned.

Or then again, am I just being my usual cynical self ?
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

No, John. Assurances were given that the founding principles of CH would be maintained... which includes providing free or substantially subsidised education to those in need (not necessarily financial) and who are academically/musically etc. able. The proportion of full fee paying pupils (many of whom are already and will continue to be from overseas - I have seen Chinese and Germans recently) will increase but not to the detriment of those who fulfil CH's original principles.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Extra beds are being placed so that the numbers will increase, but the number of "traditional" children will remain the same.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I have to wonder whether the academic bar will drop, to the possible detriment of bright scholarship pupils, and whether the school will experience 'I have paid my money, now pass my child', now matter how poor the performance.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Extra beds are being placed so that the numbers will increase, but the number of "traditional" children will remain the same.

I'm intrigued David....

Where ?
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

One way that numbers will increase is by taking day pupils (full fee paying). There is little scope for more beds, as far as I know. What is needed is to increase the endowment to about £600,000,000, then financial problems would be solved (for a while).
Col A 1946-1953
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Target for boarders is, I believe, 870 - day pupils target about 25, I think.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

[quote="kerrensimmonds"At least they have reintroduced The Votum (the Carmen to Hertford Old Blues) - but it was interesting to see how many of the participants were singing it from the words on the programme. In my day...... yes.... we had to learn it by heart! (although there is a Horsham-specific verse which we did not have at Hertford)[/quote]

I watched the treasurer who only reffered to the words for the second or third verse of the Votum.
I only got half way through the first verse but then it has been 46 years since I last sang it.
I wonder how many recognised the Horsham-specific verse!!
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

jhopgood wrote: I watched the treasurer who only reffered to the words for the second or third verse of the Votum.
I only got half way through the first verse but then it has been 46 years since I last sang it.
I wonder how many recognised the Horsham-specific verse!!
Gosh, that's quite impressive - it's over twenty years since I lip-synced it (I'm pretty tone deaf) and I can't remember a word. In fairness however I only sang it five or so times (I skived at least one Speech Day) so can't be expected to recall - however I seem to remember it was quite tuneful, not like some of those Wesleyan dirges or Lord of the (@£€<¥!) Dance.

You're a tough crowd to please though - do all ranks of the CH hierarchy get watched to see if they know the song? Seems like the treasurer probably has some greater priorities at the mo.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: So do we have to assume that if things go the way that it appears the 'new-order' want it to go, then non-fee paying entrants will have to be a lot more intelligent and have a lot more to offer academicaly than the fee paying entrants ?
?
Please don't be quite so cynical, John. Of course we would like CH to be able to give a top class education to every child of poor parents but we know it is just not going to happen. Neither you nor I has the £600 mm it is suggested that the investment assets should attain.

If non-fee paying entrants will have to be a lot more intelligent and have a lot more to offer academicaly there could be advantages. I lived for two years in uni students digs and the entire atmosphere, discussion, mental challenges really made me think, analyse, behave in a far more detailed manner than CH ever did; it did me a world of good. If CH brings in very highly intelligent pupils and IF they mix well then the benefits could even outweigh the disadvantages.

What do I mean by that second "IF"? CH had an American exchange students every year but only one in my time (1960 actually) had a school wide effect; I have no memory whatsoever of the rest.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

DavebytheSea wrote:
But let us pause and reflect for a moment; if attracting a higher proportion of full fee-payers enables us to retain the same total number of children in need as hitherto, is this not something to be thankful for?
Can anyone explain to me how this works? I have always understood that the figure given for 'full fees' represents the actual cost of educating a child at CH; thus a full fee payer will be meeting the costs of their own education and will not require any subsidy from the Foundation. Fair enough, and I can see how this would help to address the shortfall in endowment income if full fee payers are recruited instead of children who require financial subsidy. But how exactly does increasing the proportion of full fee payers enable the school to support the 'same total number of children in need as hitherto' ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote: So do we have to assume that if things go the way that it appears the 'new-order' want it to go, then non-fee paying entrants will have to be a lot more intelligent and have a lot more to offer academicaly than the fee paying entrants ?
?
Please don't be quite so cynical, John. Of course we would like CH to be able to give a top class education to every child of poor parents but we know it is just not going to happen. Neither you nor I has the £600 mm it is suggested that the investment assets should attain.

If non-fee paying entrants will have to be a lot more intelligent and have a lot more to offer academicaly there could be advantages. I lived for two years in uni students digs and the entire atmosphere, discussion, mental challenges really made me think, analyse, behave in a far more detailed manner than CH ever did; it did me a world of good. If CH brings in very highly intelligent pupils and IF they mix well then the benefits could even outweigh the disadvantages.

What do I mean by that second "IF"? CH had an American exchange students every year but only one in my time (1960 actually) had a school wide effect; I have no memory whatsoever of the rest.

Quite correct. Coleridge B had Flynn, who I swabbed (?) for. Now a Judge in the US !!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Are full fee paying students required to sit an entrance exam?