Long careers of C.H. Masters

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Long careers of C.H. Masters

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Mention has been made of Ronald Lorimer's 38 year career at CH. A.C.W. (Teddy) Edwards was a Master from 1904 to 1946, 42 years, and then became school Librarian. Others who had long careers include Edwin Hyde from 1902 to late nineteen thirties.
How long were D.S. Macnutt, J.E. Massen and M.H. Jones on the staff. I am sure that the school office will have a record of this.
Chris B.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Long careers of C.H. Masters

Post by michael scuffil »

I'm sure no one will beat Teddy, because he was Librarian for 18 years, making 60 (!) in total.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
theosteel
2nd Former

Post by theosteel »

I think Ron Lorimer was a master at CH for 34 years (1958 to 92) - he had had a year in Madison Wisc. and at the LCC school near Ipswich we heard before coming to CH.

Those with war service obviously had reduced length careers but A Rider must be up there in span and didn't he then teach at Hertford? ACWE must be the marker though!!

On a parallel theme I was wondering who the oldest still living master might be. JH Page and H Spurrier are nonagenarians. The OB situation would be interesting too.

I should not forget Hertford either!!

Theo Steel
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

theosteel wrote: On a parallel theme I was wondering who the oldest still living master might be. JH Page and H Spurrier are nonagenarians.

Theo Steel
Is Moreton Peto still alive? He would be over 90, surely.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Re longserving Hertford staff - Miss West did 30 years. Miss Jukes would perhaps be a candidate in the running, but I have no idea of her dates- she certainly taught both me and Maria. She was there when I arrived in 1956 and retired at the merger in 1985 (CHAOS - Christ's Hospital Amalgamation of Schools [or was it Sexes?]).
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

michael scuffil wrote:[Is Moreton Peto still alive? He would be over 90, surely.
I saw Morton Peto at Chief Bradley's funeral in 2010; he was frail but entirely with-it. On that occasion, he was accomapnied by his son James. I imagine he is still alive or we would have heard on this forum or in one of the CH publications.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Edwin Hyde's dates were 1902 to 1936 thus equalling Ronald Lorimer. He also returned to do temporary teaching work during WW2 for a short period. C.F.(Bill) Kirby was at the school as a pupil from 1914-22. He then joined the staff in 1926, thus only being away from CH for four years. I do not have his retirement date to hand but he must have some sort of record of combined pupil and teaching staff service. He lived to a great age I know. A.H. Buck was another with long combined service. 1910-1919 and 1928-1956.
Chris Bartlett
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Bill Kirby kept part of his lab in the new science block for some years after he had given up formal teaching, in some ways a bit akin to Teddy Edwards. Boys were always welcome, to help with bees etc.
Col A 1946-1953
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

It occurs to me that Peto must also be a long-server. He presumably came soon after the war (he was already a senior housemaster when I arrived in 1955) and only retired in the 1980s, I think.

If he wasn't away in the war (perhaps he was), Kirby was a very long-server indeed. I had no idea he'd been there since 1926. (He must have regarded Seaman, his younger contemporary at CH) as a young interloper when the latter arrived nearly 30 years later.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Fjgrogan wrote:Re longserving Hertford staff - Miss West did 30 years. Miss Jukes would perhaps be a candidate in the running, but I have no idea of her dates- she certainly taught both me and Maria. She was there when I arrived in 1956 and retired at the merger in 1985 (CHAOS - Christ's Hospital Amalgamation of Schools [or was it Sexes?]).
Yes, Queenie Blench and Miss King and Miss Park were also there for ages. I believe some of them were there when D.R. arrived as Head!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I see from Kerren's posting on this forum when Miss Wilson died that her dates were 1950 - 1985. I have just read through all the postings following Betty Jukes's death, but could find no mention of actual dates.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Betty Jukes arrived either just before or just after Margaret Wilson. I seem to remember that when Park and King retired, they had notched up over 100 years service between them?
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Betty Jukes was on the Hertford staff from 48-85.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

RDT Sillett and JE Denison must have both put in a few years.

I was surprised to see them both when visiting the School after a long interlude c 2000.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

michael scuffil wrote:
theosteel wrote: On a parallel theme I was wondering who the oldest still living master might be. JH Page and H Spurrier are nonagenarians.

Theo Steel
Is Moreton Peto still alive? He would be over 90, surely.
He certainly was 2 years ago - his niece was at my son's wedding!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73