Does Peele A exist?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Does Peele A exist?

Yes it does
26%
No it does not
No votes
Never heard of Peele A
16%
I was there
11%
This is a very silly poll
47%

Total votes: 19

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Does Peele A exist?

Post by DavebytheSea »

Anyone know anything about Peele A?

My son, Jonathan, has just learned that he is to be launched into Peele A (rather than something sensible like Middleton A) for his New Deps. In my day (early 50s), I cannot recall it actually having anyone in it - though I suppose it must have done. It's just that they seemed rather ectoplasmic in a sort of faintly unreal way. I cannot recall any pupils or staff, nor do I think I ever even entered the house. I suppose it is something to do with the fact that Peele A practically disappears off the end of the Avenue and through the West Gate.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience of the far west of the Avenue can offer some enlightenment as to the current state of play down there - there do at least to be some staff attached to the house which is encouraging.

I suppose the powers that be placed Jonathan there (the nearest house to Cornwall) to alleviate any possibility of homesickness.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I know it exists - Dad was housemaster there from 1995 - 2001 so I lived in the attached house...

I know what you mean about Peele though - maybe it was because they were so far from everything - it was like another culture down there...

At least your son will have Mr Phillips as housemaster - very sound bloke and son of Leslie Phillips!!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

Pe A is definitly better than Pe B
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

Have to disagree with you there Footbath, Peele A was better for sports, but Peele B have Howie. Actually, no, Peele B is just rubbish.

Edit: And I still can't believe I was there for 7 years.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Middleton A a sensible house?!!!!

NNOOOOO!!! its not true I tell you!

oh and i remember legendary parties in the Peele A attached house, or was it after parties?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Of course it is Hannah! Traditions die hard and, although it is now a year or so since I left, I am sure that it is still a model of good sense and sobriety. Just look at its distinguished alumni!

And, is it not the only house still privileged to wave sticks in the air? Jonathan quite fancied that, although he did express a preference to go into Barnes A - to play the cymbals of course. Nothing to do with the slightly modified Housey coats worn therein. Oh no, no, no!

However, he is becoming more attracted to Peele A by the minute - thanks, Great Plum, for your help in this. Furthermore, he told me last night that, having checked on the internet, it has been refurbished. Whoopee!
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Sat May 14, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

um, lets say there were some very interesting characters in that house when i was there!

some very very interesting charachters in fact. very very very interesting.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Come on Hannah - you can't get away with that! Just how interesting were/are they? If they are just too interesting for general consumption (is that possible? - I suppose, on reflection, it may be!) then PM me. I will not reveal anything, even to that son of mine.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hannoir wrote:Middleton A a sensible house?!!!!

NNOOOOO!!! its not true I tell you!

oh and i remember legendary parties in the Peele A attached house, or was it after parties?
There may well have been some legendary perties in the attached house - I couldn't possibly comment! ;-)

Mid A - sensible, nah, they all marched like idiots! ;-)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Well, I think that there are many misconceptions about the existence of Peele A (also known as Peelridge, Orange Peele, Peele Gay et al; though for the purposes of this post, it will hereafter be referred to as Peele A)
Though one could be forgiven for denying it's existence, as most blues will never come across it during their seven year stay, it is very much a reality.
Perhaps it should be asked: 'Why does no-one ever go there, if this place is so "real"?'
There is more than just one answer for this often overlooked question. The most obvious, by a clear margin, is the distance from Peele A to even the most remote outposts of civilisation. This, coupled with extreme navigational difficulties when one ventures past Tucker, make for an almost non-existent visitor rate to the region. It must not be forgotten that the local landmarks often scare humanity away with their 'savagery', landmarks such as much feared Thornton A, the 'Drill Hall' (believed to be an ancient site used for trepanning, hence the name). Finally, but perhaps most importantly, there is a distinct odour which increases in strength the closer one moves to this elusive 'Peele A'. Many explorers/pioneers have been overwhelmed by what one can only presume to be a 'territory marker'.
So now it has been established why no-one goes there, perhaps we should enquire as to why it was built. There are several theories, some with credability, others mere absurdity. Some believe it to be a sort of 'detention centre' for savages that have illegally entered the ring-fence, but without valid permits. Owing to the nimby-ism of many CH residents, it is alleged that the West Gate is the only place it could be built. Another, and perhaps more sensible answer, is that it was built on the ring-fence much in the style of 1920s 'border-towns' in the USA; a haven where you could go to indulge in naughtiness without fear of retribution from the demonic 'SMT'. Further evidence for this theory is that 'Peele A' still very much resembles some kind of crack house, scented with stale alcohol, 'suspect' smoke and bodily fluids; and decorated with stains which could only be described as 'dubious'.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thanks for your posting Hendrik - a real ROFL insertion. Did I just invent that?

Assuming that those who have voted on this issue form a representative sample of all known Blues in the worldwide Cordon Bleu, we can deduce from the statistics as follows:

a: only some 8.3% of us actually think that there is a house called Peele A

b: 25% of Christ's Hospital pupils have never even heard of it

c: another 8.3% actually claim to have been in the house (given that there are 16 houses but 1 in 12 CH pupils were in Peele A, surely this must have led to considerable overcrowding therein), and

d: a massive 58% of those who have been educated at Christ's Hospital will devote their precious time in participating in polls which, by their own admission, they consider "silly". It must be something to do with the teaching of life skills at Housey, I suppose.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Were you bored Hendrik? :)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

bored? BORED? have you not considered that maybe i deemed an essay should be written on the subject? is my critical analysis and lengthy explanation not a valid contribution to this forum?

(maybe a little bored, yes... :oops: )
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:bored? BORED? have you not considered that maybe i deemed an essay should be written on the subject? is my critical analysis and lengthy explanation not a valid contribution to this forum?

(maybe a little bored, yes... :oops: )
Are you trying not to do revision? ;-)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

that transparent, huh?