Changing usage

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Changing usage

Post by jhopgood »

I have been sent an article entitled "Field Day Opportunities Flood to Christ’s Hospital" which turned out to be an article on Career talks.
When I enquired I was told "Field Day are the days when pupils have no academic lessons and sign up for a selection of activities".
It was not thus in my day.
Similarly, in the depths of another article I found:
"Throughout the day, Old Blues and pupils were also invited to take part in a sponsored March-a-thon in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust. Housey was provided for the march around the campus".
It took me a few minutes to realise that Housey referred to the uniform, not to CH, since they were already on the Housey campus. (Not too comfortable with campus either).
I seem to recollect that Housey referred to CH, and when referring to the uniform it was either "Full Housey" or "Half Housey" (without the coat).
It is now 27 years since CH at Horsham became coed, and I wondered how many expression that were used in CH Horsham before 1985 have now been adapted to new circumstances, whether any from Hertford have been imported and are still in use, and what new expressions have come into play?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
A Dirty Old Jack
3rd Former

Re: Changing usage

Post by A Dirty Old Jack »

Does the term "a jack" still mean what it used to mean? Or have I been phased out?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Changing usage

Post by J.R. »

In our day, John, Field Day was always CCF orientated.

As a Bren Gun squad leader, I always looked forward to them.

Perhaps in these days of political correctness, 'diversity' and pacifism, things have changed !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.