40 Years on 1971/72

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

40 Years on 1971/72

Post by Mid A 15 »

I received an invitation to this event this morning.

It is depressing how many of my contemporaries are deceased. I knew of some via Howard H and The Blue since re-establishing contact with the School but there are many I did not.

I inadvertently typed "tear"s rather than "years" in the title to this post and changed it but perhaps I was right the first time.

RIP to them all and God Bless if they believed.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: 40 Years on 1971/72

Post by Goatherd »

Even more depressing when you add some names that perhaps fall just outside this 'cohort': David Tweed, Nick Coker, Nigel Farrell, Nick Adderley ... .
One of the reasons that I went back last year. It seemed to be pushing my luck a bit to assume that I would be around for the 50th.
Goatherd
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Same feeling when I read the list Andy, I suppose statistically I should have known but still shocks when you read the names. Some I already knew about but others I didn't and some I do know about are not on the list.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:Same feeling when I read the list Andy, I suppose statistically I should have known but still shocks when you read the names. Some I already knew about but others I didn't and some I do know about are not on the list.
I don't know statistically how many we should have expected to be honest Andrew but, as you say, still a shock particularly when, as you also say, you are aware of others.

Do you think you will go?
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Goatherd wrote:Even more depressing when you add some names that perhaps fall just outside this 'cohort': David Tweed, Nick Coker, Nigel Farrell, Nick Adderley ... .
One of the reasons that I went back last year. It seemed to be pushing my luck a bit to assume that I would be around for the 50th.
Three of those were in Middleton A at the same time as me and I knew Nick Adderley to speak to as well.

I didn't know about either David Tweed or Nick Adderley although I do recall hearing about Nick Coker, probably 25 plus years ago now.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Mid A 15 wrote:
AKAP wrote:Same feeling when I read the list Andy, I suppose statistically I should have known but still shocks when you read the names. Some I already knew about but others I didn't and some I do know about are not on the list.
I don't know statistically how many we should have expected to be honest Andrew but, as you say, still a shock particularly when, as you also say, you are aware of others.

I do intend to go to the 40 year on reunion, I'll let you know if the plan changes. How about you?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:

I do intend to go to the 40 year on reunion, I'll let you know if the plan changes. How about you?
I am leaning towards going the more I think about it. Goatherd makes a valid point about getting another chance!

I was initially ambivalent as I've been back relatively recently to a House Reunion.

I'm still in touch with one of the names on the "missing" list plus another so if they're keen to go that will swing it.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Sent application off today so there might be two of us there.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And some Hertford Old Blues of the same generation, who have decided to go. Please welcome them!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Kerren will do.
Do you know any names of those going.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

No,Andrew. Sorry. I don't know who from Hertford has been brave enough to sign up for this. All I would say is that if you happened to come across ladies who seem bewildered, please be kind to them.
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:No,Andrew. Sorry. I don't know who from Hertford has been brave enough to sign up for this. All I would say is that if you happened to come across ladies who seem bewildered, please be kind to them.

I couldn't possibly dare make comment on that, Kerren !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Our very own Englishangel is one of them...
Kerren Simmonds
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I thought the reunion next week was for 50 years on, so when I saw these postings I assumed I had originally made a mistake. Now I have double checked with the CHOBA Newsletter and see that there is indeed to be a 50+ reunion next week, and that invitations were to be sent out in July. I left Hertford in July 1962, but have not received an invitation - perhaps it is ony intended to refer to the 'boys'? Strangely a similar thing happened to me when at the age of 48 I finally managed to graduate, but was not invited to the college graduation ceremony. I am beginning to wonder whether perhaps my whole life has just been a figment of my imagination! As it happens I cannot get to Horsham next week anyway, but it would have been nice to be invited!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Frances... the people going go to this reunion left after we did! I left in 1966 and you must have left before that? So neither of us are entitled to be invited to this Reunion? Or have I got something terribly wrong? Kerren
Kerren Simmonds