Even further sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Even further sad news

Post by HowardH »

It is with regret that I have to inform the board of the passing of Harry Spurrier, former Housemaster of Middleton B and Second Master, in Horsham at the end of July. He was 87. The funeral has taken place. It might be the family's wishes for a memorial service to take place at some later stage. I will provide news when I have it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Even further sad news

Post by J.R. »

I remember Harry Spurrier from my days at CH.

He didn't teach me, but we often spoke as I had a great mate at school who was in his house.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Sad news. My ex house master.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Sad news.

He never taught me so I didn't know him well but 2012 has been an annus horriblis for losing distinguished CH Masters of the past.

RIP Mr Spurrier.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

He did teach me (or should I say, I was in his class), and he was also Captain Spurrier, officer commanding C Company (the entry company for new recruits to the CCF). I remember him demonstrating personally and faultlessly how to tackle the assault course. On the rifle range he had a trick of firing a .22 rifle with one hand to show that it had no recoil (unlike the vicious .303), but he would add: 'but be careful, you can kill someone with it'.

He was the archetypal, respectable public-school master of the 50s/60s. He took aspersions cast on the monarchy (in the press) as a personal insult.

His classroom, incidentally, had curious all-wooden desks, and uniquely, a clock, which I must have spent hours watching (I don't think anyone would claim he was an exciting teacher).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I am pretty certain he taught me, and if he ran the beginners for the CCF, I must have seen him, but what did he teach?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

History .
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

I remember quite enjoying his lessons and doing quite well. The following year I was taught by some new chap - I'd then got to the stage where I considered new staff to be several rungs of the ladder below me and my peers. The initials JFECG spring to mind. He gave me a very poor mark for a thirteen page (THIRTEEN PAGE!) essay that I'd sweated over. Needless to say I gave up History and changed to English, where the likes of Mike Carrington were far more appreciative of my efforts!
Goatherd