Punishments at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Punishments at CH

Post by time please »

sejintenej wrote:
time please wrote: Not sure about the bring back flogging bit.
I seem to have spent hours waiting outside various headmasters/housemasters studies in the sixties/seventies waitng for the cane or slipper. Did no use at all. I think that sometimes I got into trouble just to irritate them. One of the few teachers I had respect for was Bob Hailey. Used his brain instead of his brawn.
I remember getting canned by Newsome and thinking "I am bigger and stronger than you and you know it you can do me no harm and definetly no good" After that canning I thanked him and said that I will probably be back in here again soon. Not surprisingly he got in touch with my parents and suggested I should leave at the end of the term. Now that was good news.
If it were not for naming Newsome (who wasn't around at the time) I could name the miscreant in Peele who could write almost the same.

The important thing is whether, in later life, you were naughty enough to become a guest of HM. (don't answer that). If you were not such then perhaps the assaults on your posterior had some beneficial effect.

Edit; I see you were canned rather than caned; if you had stayed just a little bit longer ..................... :wink:
Ha Ha! Got canned at CH as well!

Strange thing is last night had some guests at home ( home being abroad) they asked me about being at CH. I spoke about the place for over 20 minutes and was positive the whole time!!!! I hated the place but I am very proud to have been there.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
time please wrote: Not sure about the bring back flogging bit.
I seem to have spent hours waiting outside various headmasters/housemasters studies in the sixties/seventies waitng for the cane or slipper. Did no use at all. I think that sometimes I got into trouble just to irritate them. One of the few teachers I had respect for was Bob Hailey. Used his brain instead of his brawn.
I remember getting canned by Newsome and thinking "I am bigger and stronger than you and you know it you can do me no harm and definetly no good" After that canning I thanked him and said that I will probably be back in here again soon. Not surprisingly he got in touch with my parents and suggested I should leave at the end of the term. Now that was good news.
If it were not for naming Newsome (who wasn't around at the time) I could name the miscreant in Peele who could write almost the same.

The important thing is whether, in later life, you were naughty enough to become a guest of HM. (don't answer that). If you were not such then perhaps the assaults on your posterior had some beneficial effect.

Edit; I see you were canned rather than caned; if you had stayed just a little bit longer ..................... :wink:

One of 57 different varieties of punishment ????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Using a skeleton key and taking wine from the staffroom resulted in a few nights at the now infamous Peter Ball's house down near the coast.

Just glad I wasn't among the boys who are now all over the news having spent time with him and his 'special friends'....
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fertii wrote:Using a skeleton key and taking wine from the staffroom resulted in a few nights at the now infamous Peter Ball's house down near the coast.

Just glad I wasn't among the boys who are now all over the news having spent time with him and his 'special friends'....

I must have missed this snippet of gossip.

Please enlighten me, by PM, if too salacious for the forum !
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

In my time there was an Essex vicar's son who was slung out for stealing booze from the Common Room. His papa put it about that the boy was sacked for climbing trees.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

J.R. wrote:
Fertii wrote:Using a skeleton key and taking wine from the staffroom resulted in a few nights at the now infamous Peter Ball's house down near the coast.

Myself and three others helped ourselves to some wine and beans from the kitchen and staffroom.

Geordie decided to go and wake Mr Gunning...who was far from pleased.

We were quintessentially expelled apart from being back to do our A'levels.

I stayed with Peter Ball for a few nights due to sickness in my family.

I have since been involved, albeit slightly, with this case against him due to something he said to me. I haven't had to go to court luckily, but several boys who were in his care have been left wounded for life sadly. The metropolitan police were contemplating paying for my ticket back to the UK to go to court, but nothing has come of that. Google him...you'll see - he's nothing but a downright pervert with a thing for boys.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thnks for that - I'll check it out later.

Maybe if he'd been a B.B.C. D.J. of the 60's or 70's....................Who knows ????
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

The Essex Vicar's son was in Lamb A and despite special pleading from his father who visited the school and appealed directly to A.L. Johnstone, his senior House Master, his expulsion was not rescinded. It did not seem to have affected his post CH career and he had a successful career. He became a member of the CH Club and is listed in the 1996 edition of Who's Blue.
His crime was to steal drink from the Masters' Common Room and hide it in the Scout Hut.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fertii wrote:
J.R. wrote:

Google him...you'll see - he's nothing but a downright pervert with a thing for boys.

Just done a 'Google' search !

WOW !!!
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

J.R. wrote:Thnks for that - I'll check it out later.

Maybe if he'd been a B.B.C. D.J. of the 60's or 70's....................Who knows ????
Well.....
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Can someone explain how the connection between Peter Ball and CH came about?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

As Suffragan Bishop of Lewes would he not have taken the Confirmation Service in lieu of the Bishop of Chichester sometimes?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The confirmation service was taken by the Bishop of Lewes during the sedes vacans between bishops Bell and Wilson. This will have been the confirmation of 1959.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:The confirmation service was taken by the Bishop of Lewes during the sedes vacans between bishops Bell and Wilson. This will have been the confirmation of 1959.
Ouch; that is a bit close to home having been confirmed at about that time. Interesting that in this region Cathar Perfects (close to priests) had to go to Armenia to be consecrated. If the consecrating bishop subsequently broke the rules then every perfect consecrated by him had to go and be reconsecrated by another bishop. At least I don't need reconfirmation - I hope.

More relevant to this case one boy tried it on me at CH but quickly realised his ideas were not to my taste (what an unintended pun). Worse, a doctor of medicine who was authorised to take me out really tried it on very hard. A pillar of the community, I couldn't say anything. I had always been suspicious since he "retired" to invent improbable devices when he was in his forties (but he had a really beautiful daughter who was too old for me :( :( :( :-( ).
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Don't worry, Peter Ball was too young to have been the bp. of Lewes in 1959. He was bishop there from 77 to 92.
Th.B. 27 1955-63