Sailing to Cornwall for the OB Regatta

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Sailing to Cornwall for the OB Regatta

Post by DavebytheSea »

A great opportunity to sail aboard Mark Stevenson's magnificent yacht Outrageous from Gosport to Falmouth (and back again). The Head Master, John Franklin, will address Old Blues resident in the West Country (or visiting) and will inspect the yachts on on June 8th following luncheon at the shoreside home of the commodore of the Christ's Hospital Cruising and Sailing Association.

Mark Stevenson, Vice Commodore, (BaB/MdA 74-81) is seeking help to sail down for the event and would welcome any Old Blues who would care to join him. While some experience is helpful, Mark is a very experienced yachtsman and can assist any novice to learn the ropes.

Interested Old Blues of any age or sex should in the first instance contact David Eastburn (davebythesea@aol.com or 01326 374237). Berths will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Details of the regatta itself (the first ever CH regatta as far as we know) are to be found in the recent edition of the Old Blue.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Sailing to Cornwall for the OB Regatta

Post by DavebytheSea »

Come on CH Forum people - an opportunity of a lifetime. 60 views, no replies, no takers. Posted this simultaneously here and on Facebook; so far, response on facebook much more active with 2 takers already booking up!
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

Maybe a younger, more agile membership on Facebook?!
Goatherd
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Maybe, maybe ..... but with less bottom, methinks. .... and I speak as one who has successfully navigated around the 75th milestone.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Dave - look out of your window - have you noticed what the weather is doing? Much as I would like to give it a try, it is really not the time for the more mature but less fit and totally novice sailor to put to sea for the first time!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Sorry not to have replied sooner - been on the boat all day. Judith spent 3 hours at the top of the mast fixing a new aerial and lights etc. She is no chicken, but feels none the worse after a whisky.

Just done what you said and looked out of the window; there is a bit of a chop in the roads, but there are a few boats out, and the gig rowers are practising hard - and we still have had no snow! In fact none has settled here in 20 years. There has been a bit of rain in the last few nights but I gather they have had it worse up the coast in Looe.

The sail from Gosport on Outrageous is in June - I can practically guarantee good weather then. One 70 year old has practically signed up already so age really is no bar. :) (and I've just turned 75)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

DavebytheSea wrote:One 70 year old has practically signed up already so age really is no bar.
Who? Me? Damn, I feel as if I have just been outed. Except that everybody does know I'm (almost) 70, and I'm the only one who isn't aware of it.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Dear John - glad you've confirmed. I will contact Mark with the good news.
:)