Masters' Nicknames

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Masters' Nicknames

Post by Kit Bartlett »

These were of course legion and I give below those remembered from my era of the nineteen forties. Some masters were known affectionately (generally) by their Christian name such as Arthur Rider. Reggie Dean, and Fred Hazlehust, although his real name was Francis. Some are self explanatory . The origins of others are often difficult to fathom.
D.S. Macnutt. (Boom) Voice.
W.C.M. Cochrane (Corks) Name contraction and alcohol consumption.
J.E. Massen (The Gangster) General appearance.
G. Van Pragh (VP or Veepy)
M.B. Jones (Dangle) Stammer when he once said "dad angle equals dad angle".
C. Blamire-Brown (Blam)
D.H. Burleigh (Snugs or Tugs) ? origin.
E.A. Littlefield (Pongo) ?
H.L.O. Flecker (The Oil or Oily). Remarks to the Grecians or School monitors that they were the cogs of the school and he was the oil.
P.G. Matthews (Phallic) Something concerning his anatomy I presume. In my youthful innocence at the time I once thought it was spelt Falic.
M.H. Jones (Jonah) More to come and all contributions welcomed.
BroadieMan
2nd Former

Re: Masters' Nicknames

Post by BroadieMan »

Well, considering that a lot of these are current, on account of my recency of having left, I suppose this is a bit edgy. But hey, what can you do.
"Fingers" O'Regan (Supposedly got that whilst in his uni rowing team, god knows why)
Terry "Tezzer" Whittingham. (What a guy!)
Dr "Mengele" Medley (Because he was mad scientist of the unpleasant sort)
Mr "Corn-Drawings" Cowley (On account of him having a fondness for dried corn as an artistic subject)
"Mr "Delboy/Super Hans/Del) Deller-(First because of his name and his character, second for his resemblance to a "Peep Show" character, third came courtesy of an embarrassing old friend of his).
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Archbold (LaB) was "Archie"
Johnson (LaA) was Johnnie (There was a ritual in LaA of kneeling in a circle around a burning table tennis ball, chanting "Johnnie's got a head like a ping-pong ball" which I never understood).
Kirby - "Uncle." (No comment).
Ingledew (LaB) was a master in the Manual School - a very nice man who was known, very unfairly, as "The Goon."
RSM Carter was the "Sagger-Magger."
:shock: David
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

There is another thread, also entitled, “Masters’ Nicknames”, which has a larger content than this one and some duplication. It can be found by searching for “Blotto”, which appears there, but not here. Both were started by Kit Bartlett on 4 Sept 2013; this one at 10:56 am, the other at 11:00 am. Perhaps Mr Moderator can combine them.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fitzsadou wrote:There is another thread, also entitled, “Masters’ Nicknames”, which has a larger content than this one and some duplication. It can be found by searching for “Blotto”, which appears there, but not here. Both were started by Kit Bartlett on 4 Sept 2013; this one at 10:56 am, the other at 11:00 am. Perhaps Mr Moderator can combine them.

Tom:

If you send me the EXAXT thread link you refer too, then I would be more than happy to oblige.

John.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Th.B. 27 1955-63
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

Thanks, but I am so computer illiterate that I have no idea what an "EXAXT thread link" is. If you put "blotto" in the search box, press "Search", then all the posts that contain "blotto" and are in the thread called Masters' Nicknames will lead you to the duplicate thread.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fitzsadou wrote:Thanks, but I am so computer illiterate that I have no idea what an "EXAXT thread link" is. If you put "blotto" in the search box, press "Search", then all the posts that contain "blotto" and are in the thread called Masters' Nicknames will lead you to the duplicate thread.
Staff Nicknames, started by Chaz in Sep 2008, ending Oct 2008 and extending to 4 pages

I've PM ed this and another to JR
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!