CH Masters as Authors

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

CH Masters as Authors

Post by Kit Bartlett »

A recent trawl through Google has revealed a book written by A.C.W. Edwards in 1913 "Peace and Reform 1815-37".The amount of literary output by CH Masters must be vast.
Off the top of my head I can think of S.E. Winbolt. on Archeology, D.S. Macnutt on Crossword compilation, J.E. Massen on German translation, E.G. Malins . a biography of Capability Brown, and Flecker and Macnutt on Latin Grammar.
Any further names out there?
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH Masters as Authors

Post by postwarblue »

Gordon Van Praagh wrote a chemistry textbook which was used at CH (and, one hopes for his sake, elsewhere). This was it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-By-Di ... B007ZJQKVW

See also his DNB entry (how many other CH staff made it into DNB?) http://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/arti ... 5079&back=
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

I am surprised that postwarblue did not mention “Algebra” (Longmans, London) by C.O. Tuckey and W. Armistead (head of mathematics at CH for many years) published in the 50s, for I suspect that he used it at CH in his own schooldays. Other books by the same pair of authors are “Coordinate Geometry” (Longmans, 1953, London and “New Syllabus Algebra” (Cambridge University Press, 1948 Cambridge).
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Bizarre. There was I, a Maths Grecian, and never had any idea that Wm A had written a textbook.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

David Jesson- Dibley has a number of entries on his Google page.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

D.S. Macnutt appears in the latest DNB.
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Perhaps postwarblue’s comment is not so bizarre. The very best (maths and other) teachers often did not use a text book and W. Armistead was one of them.
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Bizarre. There was I, a Maths Grecian, and never had any idea that Wm A had written a textbook.
Perhaps postwarblue’s comment is not so bizarre. The very best (maths and other) teachers often did not use a text book and W. Armistead was one of them
Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Martin »

There was at least one comprehensive Latin text book, by H Flecker and D Macnutt, used of course at CH in their days. This was accompanied by their ‘Concise Latin Grammar’. This grammar used a most ingenious system and it helped me immeasurably, so much so that I have always been astonished that it was never copied in other textbooks for Latin, or any other appropriate language. When the different case endings of the various declensions were shown for a sample noun or adjective, a colour code was used – black for masculine, green for neuter and red for feminine. Similarly these colours were also used in the lists of nouns provided to be learned to increase vocabulary. This allowed genders to be remembered with a minimum of effort. Even today I can recall that ‘nauta’ was masculine, because of its colour on the page.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

CME Seaman wrote a book, posthumously edited and prepared for publication by his wife, called something like 'Christ's Hospital -- The Last Years in London'.

W. Hamilton Fyfe produced annotated translations of various classical authors.

I can't find Malins' book on Capability Brown anywhere.

The colour coding in Flecker/Macnutt was a stroke of genius.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Chris T
3rd Former

Post by Chris T »

Some more books by CH masters:
- Intermediate Mathematics, by CJA Trimble, TS Usherwood
- Intermediate Mathematics (Analysis), by TS USHERWOOD & CJA TRIMBLE (1925)
- Practical Mathematics for Technical Students, by CJA USHERWOOD & TS TRIMBLE (1914).
- A First Book of Practical Mathematics, by TS USHERWOOD & CJA TRIMBLE. This must have been a good book, for it was reprinted in 2010.
The Flecker and Macnutt Latin Course was:
- Complete Latin course, by HLO Flecker and DS Macnutt (Longmans 1939) – Books 3 and 4 are available, so there were presumably Books 1 and 2 too.

A very big undertaking would be to compile a list of books by OBs. But is there any point in doing this?
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Davis McKie (CA 45-53} has provided valuable additional information that he has found in the British Library Catalogue.
There is listed all works by David Jesson Dibley (no hyphen incidentally). Also books by Michael Cherniasky.
Regarding Edward Greenway Malins I think that I was in error over him writing a book on Capability Brown. Way back in the nineteen seventies I saw a review of a book by an Edward Malins on the subject of landscape gardening and advised The Blue that it was by the former CH master, It would appear that there are or were two people of this name at that time. the other one being American. It is an unusual name and I now think that I was wrong.
He also mentions David Newsome who wrote at least nine books.
Regarding the publication of a Bibliography of Old Blues it has long been a pipe dream of mine to see this come to fruition.
At one stage many moons ago I trawled through my extensive collection of The Blue to jot down all references to such books mentioned in its pages. The task would be immense but of great interest if it ever saw the light of day. A team would need to be established. Perhaps the school should become involved.
Two other tomes I would love to see published are Who Was Blue. and an index to The Blue,
Are there any Old Blues out there enthusiastic enough ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

How could we have forgotten Newsome, who quite possibly got his job on the strength of one of his books, Godliness and Good Learning.

Incidentally Newsome was a Cambridge Litt. D. (He never had a common-or-garden Ph.D.); this degree is awarded on the strength of published work. His other major histories were The Victorian World Picture (to which he doubtless adhered), The Parting of Friends (about the secession of the Anglo-Catholics from the CoE) and more than one work relating to the diaries of AC Benson.

I think it's fair to say he was the most scholarly master at CH in the 20th century, but then he had been a Cambridge don.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

My wife's Aunty Con (Constance Richardson) taught Physics at CH (Hertford) 1935-1939, she published the following scientific paper
http://darwin-online.org.uk/converted/A ... _A189.html
http://darwin-online.org.uk/converted/p ... t_A578.pdf
I knew none of this before she died, the last years of her life were spent as a nun. I would have been fascinated to have discussed her teaching experiences with her.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

L.G.D.Baker Head Master 1979-85 has written a number of books between 1967 and 1993 including a study of Church History
and Women of Power.