Buglers

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Buglers

Post by J.R. »

No authentic calls require Top 'C' as far as I am aware.

However, good practice was to play the Post Horn Gallop, which I seem to remember also rubbed 'Bill' Bailey up the wrong way if he caught you !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
BroadieMan
2nd Former

Re: Buglers

Post by BroadieMan »

J.R. wrote:
John Saunders wrote:Buglers played on many evenings for tea parade between 1948 and 1955. We used to take it in turns. Francis Warner and I think one of the Ind brothers were particularly adept at swinging some of the calls. I was occasionally allowed to join them on trumpet. The mouth- piece on a bugle is most uncomfortable!
Larger and much fatter. You were less likely to split a lip playing top C with a bugle mouthpiece.

I know there was some controversy over the band being allowed to play 'St. Louis Blues', (circa Glen Miller), during my time.
Aaaah, St Louis Blues was a classic. And I say that as someone who left this year. Still played, happily. It's not uncommon for people to subtly "strut" instead of marching to it.

As to when the buglers play these days, they usually play on Tuesday and Friday lunchtimes. Teatime marching is discontinued these days.