buttons - on the sleeve?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

keibat
LE (Little Erasmus)

buttons - on the sleeve?

Post by keibat »

On Friday 15 November, I was passing through London and so had the opportunity to attend the CH musicians' lunchtime concert in St Martin's in the Fields: a Shostakovich string quartet, and Britten's lovely piece 'Rejoice in the Lamb'. As it happened, with this being the 100th anniversary of Benjamin Britten's birth, I heard 'Rejoice in the Lamb' again just one week later in the Cathedral in my home town of Turku in Finland, sung by a local youth choir – and without giving way to prejudice one way or the other, I can say that the CH choir put on a significantly better performance! And the Shostakovich was a highly professional performance too.
It felt amusing to arrive at Trafalgar Square and see Housey uniforms wandering around the streets before the concert, and know that to an Old Blue they look simply so profoundly familiar, whereas to 99.9% of the people on the crowded pavements they will have looked distinctly odd.
What DID look odd, however, was one CH male pupil with a row of buttons down the sleeve of his Housey coat. I was too far away to get a close look – but I don't remember ever having seen this before. Can anyone enlighten me?
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: buttons - on the sleeve?

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I believe this denotes the Band Captain; but not being of a musical disposition I could be wrong - perhaps someone else can elighten?
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I think that both the band captain and senior drum major wear them. Why, I do not know (possibly for spares!).
When did this start?
Col A 1946-1953
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Let's have buttons all over and emulate the Pearly Kings/Queens.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavidRawlins wrote:I think that both the band captain and senior drum major wear them. Why, I do not know (possibly for spares!).
When did this start ?

Certainly well after I left !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
geoff_janes
2nd Former

Post by geoff_janes »

I was Band Captain in 2006/7 and I indeed wore Band Captain's buttons. As far as I know, Part of the reason we wore buttons down to sleeve was to help distinguish us from Monitors or those with Academic Buttons (Button Grecians). I was neither, but had responsibilities for looking after the band.

Just to add to the button list - the Senior Drum Major wears one more button, on the left shoulder and that is so the Sache can clip into it.

Buttons buttons everywhere :)
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

These buttons for the band captain and senior drum major were introduced by Derek Baker during his time as Head Master.
I understand the rationale - that these two office holders should have some mark of distinction - but think the outcome to be very unsightly. Incidentally, the initial post refers to boys, but, in fact, if a girl holds either of these offices she would also wear these buttons.
David :shock: