frieze in dayroom of infirmary

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Re: frieze in dayroom of infirmary

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There was a rather sick joke made at the time of the Ardennes Offensive by the Germans in December 1944 that the Allies could not use Dunkirk this time round to evacuate their forces as it was still held by the Germans.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Dearv John.
I was interested in your note about the Channel Islands Occupation. Should like to see a copy of your book collection on the subject.
I used to attend regularly the Tunbridge Wells Book fair held at King Charles's Church Hall and there was often a visitor who frequently asked for any books on the Channel Islands. Is there a society for this subject ?
Regards, Chris Bartlett
I have sent you an e-mail.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Thank you Michael for the mention of the Texel affair. I had never heard of that, but having now read something about it, I agree that the word 'grotesque' just about sums it up.
David :shock:
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

michael scuffil wrote:

The only 'pocket' of German occupation I had heard about was the entirely untypical, and frankly grotesque, situation on the Dutch island of Texel (which continued until May 20). Until the 'Georgian mutiny' relations between Germans and Dutch had apparently been cool but peaceful.

On the Eastern front, following Operation Bagration, the Soviets trapped 200,000 German in the Courland area of Latvia. They survived multiple attacks, finally surrendering in May 1945.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg