Haircuts

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rebel, I wasn't merely referring to the geographical separation of the schools.

Despite the fact that Hertford and Horsham were part of the same foundation, the experiences to which you refer in your posts seem far removed from the reminiscences of Horsham Old Blues, and more significantly from those of Horsham Old Blues who would have been (more or less) your contemporaries.

So although the ethos concerning admissions to both schools might have been the same, that seems to me to be where the similarities end.

As you have often implied, there seemed to be, in educational establishments of the time, an abundance of what your might call "withered old women" whose sole gratification in life seemed to derive from the repression and humiliation of adolescent girls.

My wife has similar stories to relate from her days at a convent school, and doubtless there are deep-seated psychological reasons for the behaviour of these women.

No doubt there have been certain masters at Horsham who may have displayed similar tendencies (I can think of one or two from my own time who should never have been allowed anywhere near an educational establishment). However, for whatever reasons (and I'm sure there are many), an atmosphere similar to the one you describe never seems to have taken hold at Horsham.

So, I think my feeling might be that although your school bore the same name as the one at Horsham, the practical application of your academic and social education by those in charge of your day-to-day life would have resulted in a quite different experience from that offered at Horsham.

Sorry, getting a bit long-winded here, but I felt that I should try to explain what was originally just a light-hearted remark.

Please feel free to shoot me down if you think I'm wide of the mark!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
No doubt there have been certain masters at Horsham who may have displayed similar tendencies (I can think of one or two from my own time who should never have been allowed anywhere near an educational establishment).
Everyone was always a bit suspicious of a certain [member of staff]!

[Have received info that certain person mentioned here is most likely still on this earth - hence edited for content - JT]
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

[Edited as above - JT]

Sorry, I'll get my coat...

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

[Edited as above - JT]
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Sorry, I know it's Monday morning (and I should be doing some work), but it's never too early for a gag!

[Edited as above - JT]

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

[Edited as above - JT]
[Sorry - I know this sort of removes the point, but with the references in there it sort of makes it potentially obvious!!]
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

not only do i remember the "peg-leg" but also that he chain smoked and used to drop fag ash into your hair.. AND... regardless of how you asked your hair to be styled he cut it how he wanted... at least there was no conversation about where one had gone on holiday!