Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm
Real Name: Frances Grogan (nee Haley)
Location: Surbiton, Surrey

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Fjgrogan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:57 am

Compare that with the 'gentility' at Hertford, where in the infirmary the Sister would ask each day 'Have you been good today?' - it was a while before I realised what she was actually asking!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'

Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am
Real Name: Angela Sandford

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Angela Pratt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....

User avatar
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 pm
Real Name: Robert Griffiths
Location: Havant

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by postwarblue » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:53 am

Once a week or so our Coleridge Matron used to dish out small phials of cascara.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by J.R. » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:31 pm

postwarblue wrote:Once a week or so our Coleridge Matron used to dish out small phials of cascara.

It could have been worse - It could have mascara !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Katharine
Button Grecian
Posts: 2933
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm
Real Name: Katharine Dobson
Location: Gwynedd

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Katharine » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:38 pm

We were given 'little brown pills' the first three Saturdays every term, at least while I was a junior. I'm not sure what proportion were actually swallowed, rather less than 50% at a guess!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by J.R. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 am

Katharine wrote:We were given 'little brown pills' the first three Saturdays every term, at least while I was a junior. I'm not sure what proportion were actually swallowed, rather less than 50% at a guess!

I assume to ensure a 'smooth passage', Katharine ?? :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Westondonkey
2nd Former
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:49 pm
Real Name: Simon Arnall-Culliford

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Westondonkey » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Sept 1963. On the first morning in Prep A we did Noseblowing. 'Handkerchiefs out, blowing by numbers I,2,3,4,5,6. Handkerchiefs away. There was a sign in the dormitory which said that Senior boys were excused, and that it was their individual responsibility. We also had to do nose blowing before entering the swimming pool. It was mandatory for the handkerchiefs to be purchased from John Lewis in London,and each one had to have a Cash's name tape sewn on it.

User avatar
Spoonbill
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:45 am
Real Name: Bill/Will/Willie/William
Location: Buckingham

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Spoonbill » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Angela Pratt wrote:Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....
I heard that some poor kid once blew his nose so hard that diarrhoea came out into his handkerchief.

User avatar
LongGone
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm
Real Name: Mike Adams
Location: New England

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?w

Post by LongGone » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Spoonbill wrote:
Angela Pratt wrote:Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....
I heard that some poor kid once blew his nose so hard that diarrhoea came out into his handkerchief.
That's nothing: we once has a new boy who blew his entire skull into the handkerchief!
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg

colb28
2nd Former
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 pm
Real Name: Wilbur Wilson

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by colb28 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:20 pm

No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

But I also wanted to mention the game of Pirates in the day room, which involved clambering around the furniture without ever touching the ground and was reserved for rainy days...

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by J.R. » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:39 pm

colb28 wrote:No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

But I also wanted to mention the game of Pirates in the day room, which involved clambering around the furniture without ever touching the ground and was reserved for rainy days...

That's just brougfht back some happy memories. I imagine now, with all the new fangled Health and Safety rules, this game must have fallen by the wayside !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by sejintenej » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm

J.R. wrote:
colb28 wrote:No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

But I also wanted to mention the game of Pirates in the day room, which involved clambering around the furniture without ever touching the ground and was reserved for rainy days...

That's just brougfht back some happy memories. I imagine now, with all the new fangled Health and Safety rules, this game must have fallen by the wayside !
The real test of nerves occurred in the changing rooms. There were steel bars horizontal at about 6 feet from the ground. Sit on one and fall backwards without holding on with your hands but hooking on with your knees.

huggybearsdad
2nd Former
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 1:27 am
Real Name: Lionel W.A.Powell BaB 47, 1946-1951

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by huggybearsdad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:05 am

J.R mentions ColB having cold baths through the summer months Ha .!!! Barnes B When Mr Carey moved to MaineB in 1946 from Barnes B we inherited the Extraordinary Practice going on through the freezing winters as well with the enlivening use of frozen zinc tooth-mugs that were set outside windows at night and added to the baths in the morning.

Can I enquire of CHOBA if the survey of DOCTORS FRIEND/SCOTT in depth records has received a response from Bristol University /Medical who have just written to advise that they are no longer pursuing this study of the CH Boys from 19 30+ to analyse the benefits of wooden boards, Horsehair bolsters,& mattresses and all sundries of physical change to the environment in which we lived for five to eight years??????.
I am now 80 years of age and have enjoyed a moderately active lifestyle. Shrunk about 2 inches and still have use of all my limbs etc..... Had a CABG to the old ticker. Two Hernias (Ingroinal) and a couple of other bits and bobs. That is the trouble with data processing (IBM 23 years). Keep up the good work.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by sejintenej » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:40 am

huggybearsdad wrote:
Can I enquire of CHOBA if the survey of DOCTORS FRIEND/SCOTT in depth records has received a response from Bristol University /Medical who have just written to advise that they are no longer pursuing this study of the CH Boys from 19 30+ to analyse the benefits of wooden boards, Horsehair bolsters,& mattresses and all sundries of physical change to the environment in which we lived for five to eight years??????.


I am now 80 years of age and have enjoyed a moderately active lifestyle. Shrunk about 2 inches and still have use of all my limbs etc..... Had a CABG to the old ticker. Two Hernias (Ingroinal) and a couple of other bits and bobs. That is the trouble with data processing (IBM 23 years). Keep up the good work.
Not sure where the Bristol University quote came from but the answer is that OBs will have a longer average lifespan than the general male population. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
From that bit of scientific claptrap you can interpret anything you like - for example "longer" could mean seconds or decades. If you remember the big asian flu epidemic, 850 boys crammed into a small space so 825 got it, likewise Rubella,mumps, measles, tonsilitis and all the other itises, delhibelly and all other nasties. Of course those who didn't survive were not part of the survey whilst the rest of us were immune whilst a higher proportion of the general population remained at risk.
I stopped real sports involvement about 5 years ago (amateur and professional) when I did my last black run but previously I was involved almost every week. Ticker OK I hope, with BP and pulse low, the odd fever, fracture, joint potential problem etc so the only LT problem is allergic asthma which is just about under control. I still exercise every day. I will have to wait and see if Bristol was right but I won't know if they were wrong.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests