should CH students be more involved in decision making?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 13

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

By this, I mean, should there be more consultation of students when decisions are made, like through a school council or the like?
Should sixth form students have information/membership of the NUS?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Difficult - I think some houses have a 'council' of members but I don't know how it would work on a school level.

My dealings with the NUS when I was at uni would lead me to say that no one should have to deal with that lot... when I was leaving uni, they were on the verge of leaving NUS in disgust...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Southampton aren't members of the NUS we voted out of it, CH would be better off without them, although I think sixth form should get student union cards from CH so they could benefit from the discounts you can get, such as cheap cinema 10% off in various store etc.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

Heaven forbid that it should ever come to that ! Can you imagine the mayhem - it's almost as bad as governments holding referendums.

As Churchill said, “The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.â€
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

by happy coincidence, sixth form students are allowed NUS membership!

as a union, it's pretty sh!t though. it's mostly full of centre-right career politician wannabes (not being bitter, it's true), hence why nothing actually progresses, and why so much of its funds seem to 'evaporate'...

w@nk though it is, CH should still make NUS cards/membership available to pupils. not just for the discounts, but because CH does nothing to prepare you for politics, meetings, trade unions etc
[maybe it's a little too 'egalitarian' for their liking...]

as for pupils being consulted, definately. if some of the power had been taken from the almoners and given to people who actually knows what goes on there, i'm sure many many many many mistakes could have been avoided. pupils will be less hostile to proposed changes if they think they've had a say.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Aren't the school/house monitors the voice of the the pupils with the staff? At a house level for house monitors, and a school level for school monitors?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

did they really brainwash you that much?!

in my day they certainly weren't anyone's voices but their own! :(
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i agree with Hendrik and Matt that the NUS is pretty nasty, but that doesnt mean that students should be denied the cards and discount etc

i was never ever asked my opinion on anything and i think there would be alot more love from the students on stuff that went on.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Yes, completely brainwashed, naieve and stupid.....thought that went without saying??!?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That's funny Hendrik - the reason why Exeter wanted out was because they were so left wing - maybe things have changed...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

jtaylor wrote:Aren't the school/house monitors the voice of the the pupils with the staff? At a house level for house monitors, and a school level for school monitors?
Precisely - how can a handful of monitors know what the whole school wants?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

tbs wrote: Precisely - how can a handful of monitors know what the whole school wants?
In theory, the same way in which parliament does :shock: :? :shock:
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992