Giving back to CH - some ideas....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Giving back to CH - some ideas....

Post by jtaylor »

With the recent debate around the 1552 petition, the number of full fee paying pupils, and the desire to ensure CH can deliver as many subsidised or free places as possible, it’s clear that there’s a financial gap which needs filling.
Over the years, I’ve given mostly my time to CH, having been part of the original CH Association Board, setting up the first CHA website, and also the Unofficial CH Forum. I’ve not felt able to donate money, apart from an annual donation to the Benevolent Society of Blues. I completely appreciate that we as Old Blues must do whatever we can to support the school, fulfilling The Charge, when we are able.
To this end, I have two ideas which I could feel could help engage Old Blues in giving something back, whether in their time or money.

First idea:-
A webpage providing ideas for how to give back, and what a donation will fund within CH. I originally raised this idea back in 2010 to the CHA (now CHOBA) Board, and prototyped the web page which I felt illustrated the potential. It may have been ahead of time, or it may have been rubbish, but was never pursued – but I’d be interested in whether Old Blues feel that this might help provide a more tangible way of giving back, linking the donation to an element of school life with which we’re familiar.
I’ve reinstated the prototype here:-
http://www.chforum.info/giveback/
Take a look - it’s a bit clunky now, and has the list of ideas I had back in 2010 for ways to give back (none of which have been endorsed by the school!), so would need some work and revision. The idea was that the list could be proactively managed, with Boarding House, sports groups etc. requesting items to be added to the list, which Old Blues could then fund reactively, rather like a wedding list. Social Media may fill that gap now for that type of more immediate one-off item, but I’m sure if there was a request for “a replacement pool table for Leight Hunt B” I might find myself considering a one-off donation if I could afford it!
The other key to this approach would be to recognise the donors within the boarding house, club, group, sport etc. on a regular basis, showing current Blues that Old Blues are supporting their house, activity, and the school as a whole, and establishing that virtuous cycle of giving, from Blues to Old Blues…?

Second idea:-
This is based on the recently launched Blue Fund, and the collective joint Governor approach I’ve heard about, allowing Old Blues to group together to present a child to the School. The Blue Fund is currently seeking to find £180,000 to fund a single child’s full seven years at the school. I believe a Governor presentation comprises funding 1 year of a child’s time at CH.
I feel that the key to group-funding is establishing a feeling of common interest and identity for the Old Blue cohort, challenging the group (and their parents) to club together, and giving it an identity. e.g. “Choir Members of 1990s”, “Rugby players of the 1990s”, “Old Blue Class of 1992” etc. By approaching a group, with a list of people being approached, and an idea of the monthly average commitment required from each cohort over a period of time, there’s a potential to tap into that group identity to fund a child’s place at CH. This would be a much more personal approach than simply a direct-debit mandate form in the post (which I’ve been in receipt of a number of times.) This one needs more thought, but I feel if led by the Development at CH, who have the contacts and the data to target specific cohorts, there’s more change of real engagement…

Interested in all feedback, positive, negative or constructive!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Giving back to CH - some ideas....

Post by Foureyes »

Julian,
I have every sympathy with your intentions. However, I foresee two problems which will discourage many Old Blues.

The first is that since ca. 25 percent of all pupils will be full-fee payers and will, one assumes, be spread evenly between the houses, that would mean that by paying for such 'extras' Old Blues would be subsidising many pupils whose parents could buy 50 pool tables without denting their bank balances.

Secondly, the school is showing scant regard for Old Blues. IMHO, the current row over 25 percent FFPs has arisen mainly because of a lack of communication with Old Blues - indeed, without even a perceived need to communicate with them. Further, the brief announcement yesterday that there will be no Old Blues Day this year (the first time, as far as I know, since 1947) because of other commitments indicates that Old Blues are way down on the school's list of priorities. I cannot speak for others, but I have removed Housey from my Will as there are now other charities which I personally perceive as being more deserving.
David :shock:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David, you are being very pessimistic saying that 25% of all pupils will be full fee-payers (my emphasis). I am hopeful that the petition will be listened to, and a commitment may be made to reduce the number.
If I gave anything it would be to the Necessitous Children's Fund to ensure it benefitted those for whom the school was set up.

I am currently working on collating the school dates of all who signed the online petition until last night, at the moment, perhaps not unsurprisingly, it shows a far younger demographic than the active membership of this forum.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have to say that I tend to agree with David, two posts above.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

Since money is a problem to maintain the charity for poor children, has any thought been given to selling the Horsham CH estate for millionaire housing and moving the school to the north where there is much child disadvantage in the great cities. St Bees has just been wound up. This is a great seaside site in Cumbria with school buildings going back a few hundred years. Silly idea? JHG Saunders
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Not a bad idea, but the Lord Mayor may find it difficult to visit; and the St Matthews day service would be more difficult.
The site could constructed to accomodate larger numbers, so we could reverse the drop in numbers when Hertford was closed.
The economics might be difficult.
Col A 1946-1953
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

What a good idea! Arguably 1902 is precedent...
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There was a proposal made some years back that C H should be transferred back to the London area. it was certainly discussed at the highest level but considered impractical.
What would they done with the Horsham site ?
Q
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Concerning St Bee's.
It looks like a fine site, but I wonder why the present school has gone out of business?
David :shock:
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Kit Bartlett wrote:There was a proposal made some years back that C H should be transferred back to the London area. it was certainly discussed at the highest level but considered impractical.
What would they done with the Horsham site ?
Q
Interestingly a former head who now seems to be an active supporter of 1552 was (in the late 80s) earnestly plugging 'Schloss CH' - a particularly profligate scheme for a 6th form satellite somewhere in the EU.

Funny old world, eh?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

John Saunders wrote:Since money is a problem to maintain the charity for poor children, has any thought been given to selling the Horsham CH estate for millionaire housing and moving the school to the north where there is much child disadvantage in the great cities. St Bees has just been wound up. This is a great seaside site in Cumbria with school buildings going back a few hundred years. Silly idea? JHG Saunders
Some splendid climbing on the Sandstone cliffs at St Bees Head. By the way, who was St Bee?
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Bega

The little church at Basenthwaite is worth visiting.