Parking at C.H.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Parking at C.H.

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Does anyone have any memories regarding parking regulations at C.H.?
Prior to the growth of mass car ownership by the nineteen sixties I do not remember any restrictions in the Avenue where cars were permitted to drive all the way through. The Art School car park was constructed before WW2. Entrance to the grounds
was ,by the East Lodge gates. When was the present Visitors' car Park on the site of the former Middleton B and Coleridge A Rugger pitches built ? As the school is on is private property I don't think that any yellow lines would ever have been allowable.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Parking at C.H.

Post by sejintenej »

The school CAN put up notices that public vehicle regulations apply and COULD then paint yellow lines. (They would then have to put up notices of the parking restrictions).° We have that near here on some private roads.
That said, I think there is a blanket ban on visitors' cars in the Avenue
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

... and please remember that visitors arriving at the school MUST have prior permission, AND report to the security office on arrival. This, unless recently moved is at the Coleridge B end of ther quarter-mile.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:... and please remember that visitors arriving at the school MUST have prior permission, AND report to the security office on arrival. This, unless recently moved is at the Coleridge B end of ther quarter-mile.
A question of language, John. To me the Quarter Mile runs parallel to the Avenue and bisected the Music and Old Schools.
I think you mean the P.O. Path and close to where the running track used to be.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:... and please remember that visitors arriving at the school MUST have prior permission, AND report to the security office on arrival. This, unless recently moved is at the Coleridge B end of ther quarter-mile.
A question of language, John. To me the Quarter Mile runs parallel to the Avenue and bisected the Music and Old Schools.
I think you mean the P.O. Path and close to where the running track used to be.
My apokogies David. House punishments in Coleridge B we a 'Mile' or a 'Quarter Mile', if the offense was slightly more minor. I never remember it being referred to a a 'Post-Office' punishment, but I take your point.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes, it was referred to as a Post Office punishment run in my day (left 1960). Simply served to keep people fit. Unless you were very rotund, in which case all physical activity was a penance, except being in the scrum where you simply had to grunt and heave.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

A privatised car park company will,be issuing fines (£100) to anyone parked in the wrong place or with an incorrect CH parking sticker.. As of next term I think.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote:Yes, it was referred to as a Post Office punishment run in my day (left 1960). Simply served to keep people fit. Unless you were very rotund, in which case all physical activity was a penance, except being in the scrum where you simply had to grunt and heave.
I think each house had its own names. In Col A we had the same punishments though the trades monitor had scope for other delights which wouldn't be recorded.

With one exception I don't remember anyone remaining "rotund"; food was dealt out in portions which were enough to keep you going but the exercise used up every calorie. Althogh by today's standards it was "bad" (far too much grease etc) and the time allowed for consumption was limited you simply couldn't get more..
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I have not used C.H.Station for many years but commuters were allowed free parking there at one time. This is not obviously
the case now as there must be many people from outlying villages using the station as well as staff and visitors to the school who
have to pay a daily charge.
During World War 2 a fleet of Canadian Army vehicles took a wrong turning somewhere and ended up in the Avenue right outside
the Head Master's House. Apparently the wrath of H.L.O. Flecker had never been exceeded before or since as he berated the officer in charge of the convoy.