When You Left CH, Did You Cease to Have Access to the Musical Instrument You'd Learned How to Play?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: When You Left CH, Did You Cease to Have Access to the Musical Instrument You'd Learned How to Play?

Post by jhopgood »

IsobelJ wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm
jhopgood wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 pm I left CH in 1966 and never gave a thought to continuing to play the trombone, at which was proficient, but nowhere near the standard of others who included NYO players such as Colin Sheen, Jack Springbett, Noel Abel, Paul Barnes and another, whose name escapes me.

I wonder whether the Springbett you mention was my father, Geoff(rey) Springbett, who played the trumpet in the NYO around that time when he was at CH. If so, I can tell you he carried on playing throughout his life and was buried with his trumpet atop his coffin. I believe it was the thing that brought him the most joy in life.
I did know your father, although he was a few years younger than me. The Springbett was Jack (Reverend), whom I met at OBD a couple of times, and learned the sad news about your father.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: When You Left CH, Did You Cease to Have Access to the Musical Instrument You'd Learned How to Play?

Post by John Saunders »

I learned the piano and trumpet at C.H. When I enjoyed Nat Service I was sent to the Tower of London because the Corps band were short of a trumpet. As a Sgt in the Ed Corps at 18 I enjoyed a life style which few teenagers could match.For the last six months I earned the same wages as a Sgt with a family to keep.
On entering University I formed an 8 piece swing band and played local pubs and parties.
I sometimes play stride piano in a local pub for fun. My 3 tunes go down well with the locals because they are always in C.
Sadly the embouchure has collapsed.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

I didn't carry on the cello when I left mostly because I'd taken it up fairly late at school and wasn't terribly good at it. I'd played the oboe up to grade 8 but couldnt continue after leaving as it reminded me of being in the band with Rick Slater. I did continue singing though, and met my husband in a chamber choir. Voices are easier to carry round and much cheaper too!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I was a ‘cellist and sang a lot at CH - music was definitely one of the biggest and best things I took away from CH, and my vast majority of close friends were from music.

I’d been lucky enough to play a loan instrument whilst at CH, which was amazing quality. When I left my 18th birthday present from my parents was a ‘cello (I think my brother had a cheap car for his!), which I still have and wouldn’t sell for any money, despite rarely playing it. To this day I don’t know how my parents afforded it - they must have been saving for ages - as a parish priest and part-time physio.

Singing I carried on with a bit more than the ‘cello - much easier to carry round than a cello, for sure - I sang with the RSCM Cathedral Singers for a while, and sing for the occasional wedding for family and friends.

Would love to get a string quartet going again...

Just wish had more time to fit it all in... life’s too busy!!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 am I was a ‘cellist and sang a lot at CH - music was definitely one of the biggest and best things I took away from CH, and my vast majority of close friends were from music.

I’d been lucky enough to play a loan instrument whilst at CH, which was amazing quality. When I left my 18th birthday present from my parents was a ‘cello (I think my brother had a cheap car for his!), which I still have and wouldn’t sell for any money, despite rarely playing it. To this day I don’t know how my parents afforded it - they must have been saving for ages - as a parish priest and part-time physio.

Singing I carried on with a bit more than the ‘cello - much easier to carry round than a cello, for sure - I sang with the RSCM Cathedral Singers for a while, and sing for the occasional wedding for family and friends.

Would love to get a string quartet going again...

Just wish had more time to fit it all in... life’s too busy!!

J
I trust that isn't euphemism, Julian !! :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Thank God they didn't offer me access to any musical instrument when I left. Prior to his death my son played in a group to help offset his uni expenses; I understand that they did record but I cannot find out any info. I do have one electric bass and one other guitar and his sax lying in a wardrode unplayed.

Whatever their vaulted claim CH put me totally off music for 50 years. Not a question of dislike but one of active hate. Band music at lunchtime was a chore (OK if it was Souza!) and the dirges in Big School were to be endured. Then of course we had the noises coming out of the Music School such as violin bows not on strings - I think the cats were still alive and complaining.

When I was in the Prep my mother paid for piano lessons and the teacher always demanded that I go to the music school to practice - that was banned by Jones so it was a complete waste of money. Then we had Daddy B******d Dors who used an indian club if you were flat and not round without explaining what in darnation he was talking about. Perhaps they should be looking into his behaviour with the pupils.

So far as I was concerned CH was anti music. Worse, my bestman was not only a good guitarist but his songs are still on Youtube and he was living off his quarterly cheques right up to his death. I know that, on the boat returning from his wedding, he jammed with one of the top bands of the day but what a pity CH turned me off even that.
Last edited by sejintenej on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

How about you, JR? Did you ever play the whistle again after giving up refereeing?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Spoonbill wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:18 pm How about you, JR? Did you ever play the whistle again after giving up refereeing?
Nope !

Tried playing the bugle again, several years after leaving CH, but the Missus said it ruined my kissing lips ! :shock:
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

I attribute my love of classical music and opera to the fact that I never played an instrument or joined a choir while at CH.

Conversely, compulsory games probably contributed to my almost total lack of interest in sports, particularly team sports.

Strange thing, education.
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
Observer
3rd Former

Post by Observer »

Talented horn pupil needs her own instrument to take up a place at The Royal Academy of Music. Well worth supporting I think.

[url]www.gofundme.com/own-horn-for-royal-academy-of-music/
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

She has reached her target, I believe.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I never did music playing at school. largely because my parents couldn't have afforded it, but also maybe because I'd never shown any inclination for taking it up, perhaps because of the daunting prospect of having to learn to read music, even though I loved music. But after leaving school I developed a love of blues and black music, like many of my 60s generation, and found a pro musician to teach me guitar. All I wanted to do was play guitar like BB King. But he was an arranger and a jazzer and wanted to teach me a bit of musical theory and how to understand intervals and build chords. It was a step too far. I found that all you needed was a knowledge of some basic chords, the popular and blues scales, and being pointed to the palette of notes that your hero played in - and bingo! you were away. Well all this stuff if practised long enough might bear fruit but, as I read in a guitar magazine once trying to get my head round the solo work in 'The Thrill Is Gone', BB King's style is easy to play but hard to nail. These guys have spent a lifetime playing this stuff. But my other great love is flamenco. Shortly after, I met a semi-pro flamenco guitarist who had learnt from a Spanish maestro and he introduced me to the music which became a lifetime passion. Flamenco is a folk art, based on fairly simple folk chords, conveyed by tablature and demonstration, and handed down aurally over the generations - mostly, but not entirely - by gypsies. Again, lots of practice is inevitable but it is a folk art and so that much simpler.
When I was at CH it was all military style intruments or piano in the music school. When did rock and folk guitar tuition come in?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

harryh wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm She has reached her target, I believe.
Great news Howard.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

harryh wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm She has reached her target, I believe.
Great news, Howard.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

i joined the school at the same time my great grandfather died leaving an instrument to the school - he had been a lab tech and very good cornet player and played with some form of big band/dance band at the school in the 50's (Laurie was his name). I was immediately given the instrument and thus it never made it on to the school asset list and when i stopped playing the cornet I was told it was mine to keep (it was also pretty old and as a short silver cornet it didn't fit in sound or looks with all the gold coloured band instruments), I still have it but now dented as the old case CH gave me for it in my 2nd form finally died by having the handle fall of as I passed it down from the loft one day so it fell about 6' landing bell downwards.