Rex Roberts Maths Master

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Rex Roberts Maths Master

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I noted on the internet the death of the above named on 30.3.2014.
I know that he was on the staff for some three years and attended Eastbourne college as a pupil.
He was born in 1939, Does anyone know his dates on the staff ? Around late nineteen seventies I would think.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Rex Roberts Maths Master

Post by Mid A 15 »

Kit Bartlett wrote:I noted on the internet the death of the above named on 30.3.2014.
I know that he was on the staff for some three years and attended Eastbourne college as a pupil.
He was born in 1939, Does anyone know his dates on the staff ? Around late nineteen seventies I would think.
I'm sorry to hear this as he taught me and was a pleasant and approachable man.

I would estimate his time at CH to be 69 -72 or a year either side if he only served 3 years. No earlier than 68-71 anyway.

He was a decent wicket keeper if memory serves me right.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Thanks to Claud Rains I have now traced the above named 's dates at C.H. as April 1969 to July 1971. He was a Junior Housemaster in Maine B when it was a junior House.
Sweyn Forkbeard
2nd Former

Post by Sweyn Forkbeard »

In my memory Roberts suffered from being in Maine B at the wrong time. Under Johnstone it was pretty grim, then Roberts turned up who was a different sort of person and he faced a lot of disrespect. If I recall he had an Austin Maxi which was pelted with boiled eggs. Decent man, wrong place really. After that we got Nick Plomley/Plumley, who was an interesting teacher but had 'something of the night' about him. One evening he went loopy and gym-shoed about 30 people.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Sweyn Forkbeard wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:35 pm . Decent man, wrong place really. After that we got Nick Plomley/Plumley, who was an interesting teacher but had 'something of the night' about him. One evening he went loopy and gym-shoed about 30 people.
Probably December 1952, night before we went home there was a lot of horseplay in one of the Prep A dorms long after lights out and Mr Jones applied the slipper to virtually every boy in the dorm. That would have been 50 or more.

I remember one evening in perhaps 1959 - 1960 Kit had obviously been to the pub when something happened. I do remember him coming into the Col A dayroom when only the monitors were still up and declaring that he had just beaten his own record. I am not sure whether it referred to the number of strokes or the number of beneficiaries of his delight though I strongly suspect the former.

One must never ever forget the rule of parenthood beaten into every future parent: Spare the rod and spoil the child.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!