Allegations of abuse in today's news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Avon
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 pm
Real Name: Ed Bell

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by Avon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 pm

RusticationPhil wrote: Can anyone say who was at CH in the 80s or 90s that they are surprised by these allegations? I mean given that school policy was to actively encourage a hierarchical structure that promoted bullying and borderline abuse?
Nope - I was there mid 80's to early 90's. I'm not surprised. In fact, purely in the spirit of enquiry I think that I've probably identified two of the three with a bit of google-fu. But I'm not going to name them of course.

However, I'm not sure that there was a policy to have a hierarchical structure that promoted bullying - that would imply conscious design and leadership amongst the senior leadership team and that was notably absent in the period in question.

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by sejintenej » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:28 pm

rockfreak wrote: I had some good times at CH and was grateful for the education but that puts us in the psychological bind that Nick Duffell talks about in his books (his then editor was an old Blue, Rob Bland) in which we feel guilty about complaining and tend to gloss over what Phil and I plainly feel is an unfair system and outdated in the world today. Nowhere else in developed Europe has this system.
I am (mildly) dyslexic but was treated fairly at CH. My younger son is also dyslexic; his headmaster's reaction was "He is not going to get anywhere so I am not going to waste resources on him. He can sit at the back of the class and do nothing" - and that is what happened to a nine year old. In secondary school he was left in the resources area teaching backwards pupils and being denied his own education.

My elder son was more advanced. When attempting to study for A level maths he complained that his teacher spent the entire week teaching Labour crap and not teaching the subject matter.

The problem with this country is the teachers, many of whom are lazy (according to the NUTs) and poorly educated themselves. My next door neighbour has left the city and now teaches 11 - 18 year olds. He reckons the life is easy with little work and far shorter hours and too well paid!

That is the system you espouse and I don't want to know
.
It is hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

RusticationPhil
2nd Former
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm
Real Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by RusticationPhil » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:44 pm

sejintenej wrote:
rockfreak wrote: I had some good times at CH and was grateful for the education but that puts us in the psychological bind that Nick Duffell talks about in his books (his then editor was an old Blue, Rob Bland) in which we feel guilty about complaining and tend to gloss over what Phil and I plainly feel is an unfair system and outdated in the world today. Nowhere else in developed Europe has this system.
I am (mildly) dyslexic but was treated fairly at CH. My younger son is also dyslexic; his headmaster's reaction was "He is not going to get anywhere so I am not going to waste resources on him. He can sit at the back of the class and do nothing" - and that is what happened to a nine year old. In secondary school he was left in the resources area teaching backwards pupils and being denied his own education.

My elder son was more advanced. When attempting to study for A level maths he complained that his teacher spent the entire week teaching Labour crap and not teaching the subject matter.

The problem with this country is the teachers, many of whom are lazy (according to the NUTs) and poorly educated themselves. My next door neighbour has left the city and now teaches 11 - 18 year olds. He reckons the life is easy with little work and far shorter hours and too well paid!

That is the system you espouse and I don't want to know
.
Well if we didnt have a two tier schooling system, ie one for the elite, and one for rest, then their would be more motivation for the elite who run the country to properly fund state schools. Why should your chance of a good education be a function of who's womb you fell from? I am sorry that your children didnt receive a good state education, nonetheless i dont think private schools are the answer. While there might be a few people who are midly dyslexic who get into CH and do well, the fact that ther is an exam to get in means that they do not actually help many people with learning difficulties.

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm
Real Name: David Redshaw
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by rockfreak » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:48 pm

I'd be happier to engage with Banker Brown's posts if he could provide more solid, independent evidence for his sweeping assertions. To put it bluntly - what the hell is he on about?

RusticationPhil
2nd Former
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm
Real Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by RusticationPhil » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:14 pm

It seems like this abuse is common at a lot of boarding schools not just CH...and its even going on in some foreign boarding schools too.

[Links removed]

shut these schools down I say.

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm
Real Name: David Redshaw
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by rockfreak » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:06 pm

Why do these idiotic rich people send their children away to boarding school? Is it because they're either too lazy or stupid to bring them up themselves? Or is it just snobbery? And do the children get a better education or are they just taught to speak well, acquire an air of confidence and have access to top jobs because of their social connections? Looking at people like David Cameron, George Osborne, Boris Johnson (and indeed Steve Hilton) could one honestly say that they were fit to run a cats and dogs home, let alone a country?

Avon
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 pm
Real Name: Ed Bell

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by Avon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:13 am

rockfreak wrote:I'd be happier to engage with Banker Brown's posts if he could provide more solid, independent evidence for his sweeping assertions. To put it bluntly - what the hell is he on about?
What on earth are you talking about?

sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3097
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown
Location: Essex

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by sejintenej » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 am

rockfreak wrote:Why do these idiotic rich people send their children away to boarding school? ?


Because the vast majority of state schools are so bl***y awful. GCSE 'C' grade pass in maths and 50% of them can't even add 58472 to 92873 and get it right. That same 50% couldn't work out 90 days after 3rd May even with a calendar. (In truth the figures were higher - it was over 50% who couldn't get one question out of five right).
The local deputy headmaster explained that it is for employers and not schools to teach their employees and that it was immoral to test job applicants.
It is hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

RusticationPhil
2nd Former
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm
Real Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by RusticationPhil » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:50 pm

RusticationPhil wrote:It seems like this abuse is common at a lot of boarding schools not just CH...and its even going on in some foreign boarding schools too.

[Links removed]

shut these schools down I say.
Hmmm my link seemed to disppear?

RusticationPhil
2nd Former
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm
Real Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by RusticationPhil » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:00 pm

RusticationPhil wrote:
RusticationPhil wrote:It seems like this abuse is common at a lot of boarding schools not just CH...and its even going on in some foreign boarding schools too.

[Links removed]

shut these schools down I say.
Hmmm my link seemed to disppear?
I guess bbc news is considered a bit too controversial for the ch forum.

Curious that my other link was ok with the forum stazi?

Old boys network involved in cover-up of child abuse?

User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor-Gadd
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by jtaylor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:12 pm

I've moderated one of the links, as I've received some messages saying there are some suggestions that the link posted related indirectly to CH, and as previously stated this isn't the place for gossip or speculation please. Let's let the police investigation deal with it, and I'd again encourage anyone with information to be in touch with them, and avoid any discussions on here.

Remember the acceptable use policy.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14809
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by J.R. » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:47 pm

I personally object to being likened to the STASI, (please note the correct spelling), an ultra-political secret police controlled by the defunct KGB.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

rockfreak
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm
Real Name: David Redshaw
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by rockfreak » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Phil, I love how in your link Dr Klein says that "the school is pulling together to get through a difficult time". No mention of the victims' "difficult time". All a bit reminiscent of the Catholic church's attitude until they were actually forced by public opinion to do a mea culpa. Maybe it's time for Christ's Hospital and the English boarding school lobby generally (because it is a lobby, and a very powerful and well funded one) to do a mea culpa.

And Avon, whether you agree with me or not, I don't think that anyone could be in any doubt about what I'm on about. But I understand that any effort to provide logic, evidence and reason have always taken second place to sophistry, supercilious comments and sneering in the English public school education. David Cameron and co. are perfect examples of this.

User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor-Gadd
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by jtaylor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Glad you're not in the business of naming, but the link needed removed as it alluded potentially to one of the potential suspects - thus removed, and that's the end of it.
By all means keep talking about memories and opinions of boarding - I too had a very mixed time at CH for sure, and have read some of the "Boarding School Syndrome" stuff - but feel I came out stronger on balance, and have generally chosen to focus on the positives rather than dwell on the all the negatives.
CH today, from what I've seen, is very different from the CH of the late 80s and early 90s - and I'm sure it was different in the 20,30,40,50, etc. too - so it all moves on, and awareness today of reporting and sharing what happens is far higher.

So by all means to continue to debate, but please choose somewhere else if your topics will bring CH's name into disrepute in any way, as per the terms of use which you all accepted when you joined.

As moderators, we don't have the will nor time to spend all day having to edit and moderate posts - so the ultimate solution is to lock topics and simply delete things without comment -something we try desperately not to do, and allow the conversations to flourish!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

RusticationPhil
2nd Former
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:07 pm
Real Name: Philip Harrison

Re: Allegations of abuse in today's news

Post by RusticationPhil » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:40 am

Cheers. I don't think the link in question actually provided any names though nor any direct links? Certainly I though the ch connections were subtler than the other link to be honest.....

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests