There's a Copy of Cain! on eBay

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

There's a Copy of Cain! on eBay

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Can you believe it? A copy of the CH/Visitor 2035 album 'Cain!' has just surfaced on eBay. Yours for £115.17, squire.

The seller will mail it from the USA for an extra £11.59. But probably these prices will have risen by tomorrow due to the weak pound.

So what are you waiting for? You know you want it. Go on and be financially irresponsible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cain-2-lp-roc ... SwPhdVGFki
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: There's a Copy of Cain! on eBay

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

I think the last time I saw one of these was when my brother and some of the other Lamb A reprobates found a box of them in a cupboard somewhere in the late 80s. I have never heard it - I am led to believe it's "quite poor". They were being used as frisbees. Part of one ended up being wedged in the top of the drainpipe on the side of the Barnes A changing rooms. It was there for ages!! :lol:
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I never heard the record, only saw the production itself, but I suspect the sound quality of the album could have been better. For anyone who's in the dark, Cain! was the school play in 1976 (I think): a collaboration between local prog-rock band Visitor 2035 and CH master/lyricist John Mason. If you're anything like me, the basic concept of a children's musical is the stuff of nightmares, but it certainly made a change from conventional school-play fare and everyone who was in it thought it was a blast.

Visitor 2035 were actually a tremendously good prog/fusion band, the baby of the extremely gifted multi-instrumentalist/composer/producer Craig Pruess who, to put it mildly, has gone on to greater things (see his Wikipedia entry). The one and only Visitor 2035 album is listenable-to on YouTube and is cracking stuff out of the same drawer as Return to Forever and Weather Report.

I hate to think of those Cain! albums being used as Frisbees, even if it wasn't exactly a ground-breaking record. It'd be interesting to know whether any OBs who were actually in the production still own their copies of the album and if so what their feelings are when they give it a spin. Do they squirm with embarrassment? Or do they recall the production fondly as their brief brush with the crazy world of rock 'n' roll?
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

I still have my copy (I think), but no (working) way of playing it! If I remember correctly some of it was live recordings and some was re-recorded at the end of the summer term that year, I helped with the re-recording.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77