CH San

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH San

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Dear David,
Is there any chance that you can send me a photocopy of the Head Master's account as i would be most interested to read it ?

I mentioned some time back on another thread in the Forum, I forget which one, that a biography of H.L.O. Flecker would create great interest
to Old Blues and the school. The big question is who would undertake it ? With the passage of time the number of Old Blues who remember him is alas diminishing. As far as I am aware his three children whose names I believe were Phillipa, Nicola and James are still alive.
Are there any volunteers out there ?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I have never understood why we should be expected to apologise for bombing Dresden when the Germans carried out these attacks on London - and also, I should add, Antwerp (4,229 killed); Liege (1,649 killed) and Brussels (508 killed).

The reason is that we consider ourselves to be civilized and the Nazis not to have been. The bombing of Dresden was rather different from most Allied bombing in WW2, because although Allied bombing was primarily directed at civilian targets, it could at least be said to have been intended to weaken German morale. By February 1945, that reason had largely collapsed (because by then German morale had largely collapsed), and there was no military reason either -- Dresden was 'garrisoned' by old men and boys. Unlike the atomic bombs on Japan, which undoubtedly saved far more lives than they cost, the bombing of Dresden had no effect whatever on the progress of the war. 'Apologize' is not the right word, perhaps, but 'regret' certainly.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Kit,
See my email to you,
David