Siegfried Sassoon & Dennis Silk

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Alex
2nd Former

Siegfried Sassoon & Dennis Silk

Post by Alex »

I was reading some of Siegfried Sassoon’s works and looked him up in Wikipedia. There I was most surprised to see the following. For those interested the context is explained in the article.

“One of his closest friends was the cricketer, Dennis Silk who later became Warden (headmaster) of Radley College.”
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Siegfried Sassoon & Dennis Silk

Post by Mid A 15 »

Alex wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm I was reading some of Siegfried Sassoon’s works and looked him up in Wikipedia. There I was most surprised to see the following. For those interested the context is explained in the article.

“One of his closest friends was the cricketer, Dennis Silk who later became Warden (headmaster) of Radley College.”
I happened to see the edition of Countryfile referred to in this article

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/11 ... t_thrived/

This programme on Radio 4 Extra may also be of interest. Still time to listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09lk87w
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

‘Dennis Silk’ gets everywhere. Was there more than one or something?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

No, there's only one D Silk (well I think so anyway) - ex-CH, ex-county cricketer and ex-Warden (ie headmaster) of Radley College (Peter Cook's old alma mater). You can see him in his full glory, if that's the word, in two documentaries on You Tube: "Radley College, BBC documentary in several parts", and also "A Very English Education" in which, if I remember, and I'm not too sure, various youths were featured at Radley and then followed up in later life to see whether they'd turned out as golden successes or dysfunctional social retards.
Michael Scuffil once wrote that the estimable Clarence ME Seaman never "got" the 60s. Silk declares himself similarly flumoxed at some point if I remember. All that long hair, free love, crushed velvet and loud music - it was all too much for the poor chap. Well it was his loss. Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive. We are stardust, We are golden, And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.
Peace and love, Freaky.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Sassoon was 54 years older than Silk. Now, I have young friends, but I would find it strange to regard any of them as one of my closest friends (and I doubt they would reciprocate the honour).
Th.B. 27 1955-63