Should the forum be behind a registration wall?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Should the forum be behind a registration wall?

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 pm Just recently on another thread someone posted claiming that this sort of abuse goes on just as much at day schools.
It does happen - just read the newspapers
People are trying to say that Christ's Hospital is a refuge for youngsters who come from less than adequate homes. Well what constitutes an adequate home? No home is entirely perfect.
and I thought that that was the whole purpose behind the founding of CH. Yes, there are degrees of inadequacy. I have come across that in opposite ends of the spectrum, one being a respected professional who would not allow his 16 year old son outside the door after school unless accompanied by an adult who had been checked scrupulously. The kid could not even go to the house of a mate or down to the shop. A likeable lad but with absolutely no knowledge of the world.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Sorry, just to take this back to the original point.

Yes I think it should be behind a registration wall. My concern is that Joe Bloggs who maybe looking at this due to the recent trials may take comments made by members out of context or not fully understand any debate that may occur on here
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
wagenman
3rd Former

Post by wagenman »

In my view yes. There are things i would like to discuss openly without being concerned that they are 'too public'
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

Is there an option then of a private thread where people can discuss amongst the forum fraternity/sorority things which they'd rather were away from public consumption?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

In my view absolutely 'NO' for reading only.

It is already necessary to register or log in to post.

There maybe a case for having something like the little 'exam' the OB facebook group do before allowing posting as well as protection against trolls, bots etc or whatever the modern terminology is.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As far asa Facebook is concerned, I have have nothing to do with that site for some years now. More trolls on there than under a Scandinavian bridge.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Organising a joint letter to the school asking the questions highlighted by richardb seems like a good idea and might need a private space to discuss.

A pm with multiple addressees could provide privacy within the current forum format if it wouldn't cause Julian techie or moral issues.

That said, I think it might be more powerful if each of us wrote independently with our questions, concerns, perspective and personal experiences of living with these terrible men, and why we are angry and feel let down.

I'd also like to know what the victims want of the school if we can help press them on their behalf. I'm sure they've had enough.

I think the head is probably sympathetic but it will not do any good whatsoever. They want / have to rupture from their past now and bury all this. We are collateral damage of that. A weird situation for an historic school.

I'm also considering writing to Cairncross, Fleming, Poulton, Sillett person to person and telling them how I feel. #whitefeather