Who Knew What?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Re: Who Knew What?

Post by marty »

Highly doubt it!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Right answer!!
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Thanks. When do I start as Headmaster?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

blueeyedboy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 pmBeing a Governor doesn't make you one of the Illuminati, believe me;
That's just what an Illuminatus would say :lol:

I don't think I'd be the only person here who'd be very interested in the school's response to a Governor's questions, if you're able to share that is.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 pm
marty wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 pm
Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:43 pm
Baker would have been the head then - Poulton cane in 87 I think
Thanks. Unfortunate typo Matthew!
Whoops!

I have corrected the original typo, but it still doesn't sound too good given the context of the thread. John R.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Derek Baker was an Old Blue (Lamb A 1943-50) and Head Master 1979-85. He died some years back.
He left the headship suddenly and under something of a cloud, amid considerable ill-feeling, but I do not know why.
Some years later I attended a dinner as a guest, and unbeknown to many of those present, DB had also been invited. I understood that it was his first C.H. function since leaving the headship. On his appearance in the middle of pre-dinner drinks, at least two people expressed outrage and walked out, never to return. As I say, I was a guest so not in a position to ask what that was all about, but his presence put something of a damper on proceedings. An odd incident which I remember to this day.
David
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:46 pm
Great Plum wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 pm
marty wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks. Unfortunate typo Matthew!
Whoops!

I have corrected the original typo, but it still doesn't sound too good given the context of the thread. John R.
Maybe I should have said ‘arrived’...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Foureyes wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 pm Derek Baker was an Old Blue (Lamb A 1943-50) and Head Master 1979-85. He died some years back.
He left the headship suddenly and under something of a cloud, amid considerable ill-feeling, but I do not know why.
Some years later I attended a dinner as a guest, and unbeknown to many of those present, DB had also been invited. I understood that it was his first C.H. function since leaving the headship. On his appearance in the middle of pre-dinner drinks, at least two people expressed outrage and walked out, never to return. As I say, I was a guest so not in a position to ask what that was all about, but his presence put something of a damper on proceedings. An odd incident which I remember to this day.
David
I think he fell out with the almoners of the time...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

The Almoners would have been the only body in a position to remove him, so in that sense he fell out with them. However, I believe that the reason for which he was removed lay within the school.
David :shock:
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

Didn't Baker oppose the merger which is why he was removed from post and Hansford drafted in to oversee the conjoining of the schools with the headmistress of Hertford?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Foureyes wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 pm Derek Baker was an Old Blue (Lamb A 1943-50) and Head Master 1979-85. He died some years back.
David
Baker’s daughter was still at the school when I joined. There was noticeable bad blood between her and the children of CVS as apparently CVS was considered the ring leader amongst the staff in pushing for Baker’s exit.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Who is CVS?
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Christopher (?) Vincent-Smith, I presume.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

bakunin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 pm Christopher (?) Vincent-Smith, I presume.
Yep
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

aka 'Ping'. A generally honourable but quirky sort of a chap, and not an obvious ringleader. Must have been a bad situation indeed to get his dander up.