Christ's Hospital / The Church of England / Child Abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Christ's Hospital / The Church of England / Child Abuse

Post by Jim Rayner »

Katharine wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:56 pm Carey came to Sarawak in the early 90s when we were there. I met him at a couple of functions, I wasn't impressed with him then, and I'm not impressed now.

I did hear that the way the CofE chooses Archbishops is that two names go to the PM who makes the final choice. Carey was put down as nobody would ever choose him, so the other one, the preferred candidate, would be chosen. I don't know how much truth there is in that.
The story goes that Margaret Thatcher thought he was ‘one of us’ and shared her views on market economics because he’d written a book called “The Church in the Marketplace”, not realising it was actually a rather uninspiring account of his time as Vicar of St Nick’s, which is a church in Durham Marketplace.
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

There is a name on the kimbolton link who was convicted in 2010. I am curious as to whether it is the same person who taught geography at CH in late 80’s early 90’s. The persons’ age reported seems to suggest not, but I wondered if anyone else can confirm ? (Doesn’t seem right to post the name here, but hopefully someone will know who I mean)
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

If the person was convicted absolutely name them
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

One was convicted in 2006 and two others in 2016.

Remarkable how some establishments are magnets for sex offenders.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Elvie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:05 am There is a name on the kimbolton link who was convicted in 2010. I am curious as to whether it is the same person who taught geography at CH in late 80’s early 90’s. The persons’ age reported seems to suggest not, but I wondered if anyone else can confirm ? (Doesn’t seem right to post the name here, but hopefully someone will know who I mean)
No chance of them being the same I am afraid. The one at CH was probably 30-35 when I left and certainly didn’t teach music, so at the time of the report would be 50+ rather than 36. AFAIK he was still at CH until quite recently.

In this case names are an unfortunate coincidence, and unless someone has facts the name is best left off. You can google if you really need to know (as I did!)
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Yes when I looked into it a bit further I figured that, and was relieved to see that it was clearly not the same guy!
Observer
3rd Former

Post by Observer »

It may reward the curious to correlate mysterious staff departures with an absence of suitably appreciative valedictory notices in The Blue, etc. Indeed a careful reading of the known cases might hint at what was left unsaid.
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Look's as if more than a few schools have had the same issues!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/elit ... -slnkwvxn2
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

And they all move the problem on with good references!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

AndrewH wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am Look's as if more than a few schools have had the same issues!

Can anyone explain why I could read the full article on my iPad but not on my Mac? Moving teachers on is one of the things that really sickens me.

In 2007, my son was teaching. He needed a circumcision for medical reasons, at the time he did not have a computer at home. He was looking into the details on a school computer and inadvertently clicked on a dodgy link. That was instant dismissal for him. While it was devastating for him, it may have been better safeguarding for the students if the policy was applied universally.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

AndrewH wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am Look's as if more than a few schools have had the same issues!

Good God. The IICSA will have a field day when they start looking at boarding schools then. I assume theyll look at CH but maybe even want to call Poulton et al to explain their 'actions'.

Clearly it is a pretty endemic problem, so let's hope we dont get singled out as the scapegoat due to our charitable status and odd dress sense. Other schools may be better funded / represented / covered by NDAs, I guess.

Alternatively, if all schools get tarred with the same very large brush it may not be as bad reputationally as the school expected, more the whole boarding system will take a hit. Hopefully some sense of accountability, recommendations for better inspections. Then the school can compensate the victims and get on with teaching needy kids in a safer environment.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

I had a quick google re Kimbolton. It seems they were passed a bad 'un by Giggleswick even though he was under investigation. It's a peculiarly evil form of Pass the Parcel.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I assume that this quote refers to Karim:
“In a third case a former teacher at a school in West Sussex, which cannot be named for legal reasons, is currentl­y on police bail for alleged sex abuse. He was allowed to move to another high-profile private school after concerns were raised about his behaviour.”
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Got to be Karim but would apply to Burr too.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

This issue of references is important and also actionable. As CH moved Karim on knowing full well he was a bad’un but supplied a reference that was sufficiently glowing for him to obtain employment elsewhere, then that is serious misconduct and a failure to even faintly recognise the obligation to protect children.

I wonder if the subsequent employers might still have - and be willing to share - any such references?