CH response when reporting abuse - experience of others?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

CH response when reporting abuse - experience of others?

Post by jtaylor »

I have received a message from a forum member who would like to remain anonymous. Again, I've reviewed with my fellow moderators (J.R. and RichardB) and are publishing this message below.

Are others who've come forward experiencing the same?
I am a pupil who was at Christ’s Hospital in the era and was sexually abused (Not by Husband or Dobbie).
I responded to the school request this week for those who were in this position to come forward.
The school have replied to me.
The good news is that the allegations have already been passed to the local authorities (District Council) to liaise with the police.
The bad news is that the email I received is unsympathetic, impersonal and formal. There is no suggestion of any helpline number or anything like that, or any acknowledgement that support at this time would be good.
I am sorry that the School does not seem to recognise the need for a continuing duty of care to its ex-pupils in this situation. If my allegation is true I need sympathy and support. If it is false then being kind to me is not going to do any further damage. I recognise the school has a duty to not prejudge these things, but I am astonished that having specifically asked for information in this way there appears to be no preparation or training for pastoral sensitivity by the staff who are handling initial approach.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: CH response when reporting abuse - experience of others?

Post by jtaylor »

I'd also like to add, PLEASE don't let the poor experience above prevent anyone from coming forward if you've something to report - you will be listened to by others, and hopefully you can see that the groundswell of opinion is one of support. These things HAVE to be exposed, particularly where other staff are involved and they may still be teaching/working with children elsewhere.

So contacting the Police directly is an option, which can be done here:
Sussex police can be reached on 01273 470101

Or, there are a number of organisations providing support for victims of child sexual abuse including:
NAPAC (the National Association of People Abused in Childhood) on 0808 801 0331
NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Sadly I am not surprised.

Over on Facebook one of the Hertford pupils has posted much the same thing.

Despite the Head Master's fine words last week, the school doesn't actually want any more victims to come forward.

It is bad enough that the victims were exposed to an environment where the abuse flourished but for the school to be so indifferent to them when they respond to the Head Master's apparent offer of help is really quite galling.

It is beginning to look as though the greatest help that the victims will get comes from other Old Blues. Personally I am up for the challenge and we can get ourselves organised to help it would be no bad thing.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

jtaylor wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:19 pm I'd also like to add, PLEASE don't let the poor experience above prevent anyone from coming forward if you've something to report - you will be listened to by others, and hopefully you can see that the groundswell of opinion is one of support. These things HAVE to be exposed, particularly where other staff are involved and they may still be teaching/working with children elsewhere.

Or, there are a number of organisations providing support for victims of child sexual abuse including:
NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.
Agree with all the previous posts on this thread. Go directly to Sussex Police who are already very experienced with this ongoing series of investigations.
Remember that the school will be wary of compensation claims which it may well seek to defend so they will be very careful about what they are saying in public.
Also out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, current/former staff may well tip off the suspects which is why I would advise extreme caution about what is posted on this forum
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

I contacted the School's Safeguarding Team just before Christmas and again their response was very impersonal but they did pass my email on to the appropriate people. I was not the victim of the circumstances I described (and there may not have been any abuse involved) so I wasn't looking for a sympathetic or supportive response but I was expecting more than what I got from the school, which was an automated reply that simply said:

Thank you for your email, which has been passed on to our safeguarding team. A member of staff will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Christ's Hospital

In fact a member of staff never did get in touch with me - I can imagine why that might have been - but around 5 weeks later I received a very sensible and helpful email from the Complex Abuse Unit at Sussex Police.

So I'd echo the advice of others. Contact the police direct and I think you'll find them professional, sympathetic and ready to listen.
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

I would also be very surprised if this forum is not being monitored by other abusers who have not yet been unmasked.
So Keep 'em peeled
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm I would also be very surprised if this forum is not being monitored by other abusers who have not yet been unmasked.
So Keep 'em peeled
I would be more surprised if it wasn't being monitored.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:41 pm
jtaylor wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:19 pm I'd also like to add, PLEASE don't let the poor experience above prevent anyone from coming forward if you've something to report - you will be listened to by others, and hopefully you can see that the groundswell of opinion is one of support. These things HAVE to be exposed, particularly where other staff are involved and they may still be teaching/working with children elsewhere.

NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.
Agree with all the previous posts on this thread. Go directly to Sussex Police who are already very experienced with this ongoing series of investigations.
Remember that the school will be wary of compensation claims which it may well seek to defend so they will be very careful about what they are saying in public.
Also out of a misplaced sense of loyalty, current/former staff may well tip off the suspects which is why I would advise extreme caution about what is posted on this forum
Sadly, incredible as it seems, you may be correct.

I was astonished to read the attempt on here at excusing the inertia of the Chaplain for doing nothing when approached by a victim.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I've been sent the following, from the victim from the recent Dobbie/Husband trial (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5145), just to provide some first-hand experience of the police' response:
I know you have already suggested that people go directly to the police and give their details, but if it's possible, please would you tell the forum that the Sussex Police Complex Abuse Team are enormously supportive and highly professional while still being human and compassionate?

Without the support of two police officers in the team I really don't think I would have been able to get through the whole initial complaint to court process. They were even hugely supportive in court. I was enormously impressed with them. I highly recommend going directly to the police where they will find officers who listen, care, and have empathy while being impressively professional.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Should people NOT contact CH at all and just go straight to the police?

They are facing potential lawsuits that may cost them millions. Clearly they are not foolish enough to ignore emails that they receive as they'd be quickly caught out, but the information in the emails may enable them to prepare their defence better and earlier. Overly trusting people may even give them information they shouldn't have. Perhaps I'm being too cynical but I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry, given the historical collusion and inaction.

This is just speculation on my part so could richardb or any other legal eagle clarify?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I would cut the school out and go straight to the police. I can't emphasise that strongly enough.

If anyone is concerned I am happy to see whether we can establish a line of communication and identify the right officers to go to.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Best wishes to anyone seeking justice.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Golfer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 pm Best wishes to anyone seeking justice.
Absolutely. Please know that there is a community of Old Blues behind you who believe you and admire you hugely for coming forward.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

richardb wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:15 pm I would cut the school out and go straight to the police. I can't emphasise that strongly enough.

If anyone is concerned I am happy to see whether we can establish a line of communication and identify the right officers to go to.
Victims should make contact with the police themselves independently.
Keep a healthy distance from the Police.
A clever lawyer will easily construe collusion, coaching, collaboration with other victims on the forum.
Its vital anybody who feels they need to report something to the police do it independently and dont discuss it openly for others to see their evidence.
Thats what makes the victims and witnesses credible if they are all saying similar things but tbey dont know each other or who the other victims are