A day by the seaside (aka Husband's folly)

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: A day by the seaside (aka Husband's folly)

Post by LHA »

It would be interesting to see if this Mr Goulding was giving evidence about? The references, if any exist, between CH and Shrewsbury would be interesting. Was he in court to speak of concerns which emerged at Shrewsbury, or was he, on the contrary speaking of Dobbie's good work at the school.

He's a letter from the Head in September 2016, a Mark Turner, to parents and guardians.

https://www.shrewsbury.org.uk/sites/def ... ep2016.pdf

Paragraph re Dobbie states

I was saddened in the holidays to hear that our Chaplain, Rev Gary Dobbie, had decided to retire and he will not, therefore, be returning to Shrewsbury. However, we have been fortunate in welcoming, initially for one year, Rev Alex Aldous, who has just retired as Chaplain of Oakham School, and who is already energetically throwing himself into all aspects of Shrewsbury life.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

One thing I had forgotten to mention is that the court clerk let slip that the school had someone at court observing what was going on.

I bet they did.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

An obvious move by any organisation in such a situation? Why fan the conspiracy theory flames, Richard?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 pm One thing I had forgotten to mention is that the court clerk let slip that the school had someone at court observing what was going on.

I bet they did.
It was one of two people, as you well know from my discreet enquiries Richard. My bet is on Harry Lime, aka the Third Man in the 'cheap seats'.

Matters not to me one jot. I'll be long gone long before 16 and a half years have passed.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Good they were there - if they’d NOT been there then that would have been appalling.

With the ongoing investigation which sounds like it’s happening, who knows what advice the school is being given re contact and support of those reporting abuse to them - I’ve no expertise to authoritatively comment on what would be normal/appropriate for CH to do - so provided they’re passing details on rapidly to the police at this stage, being proactive in ensuring it’s easy to contact the right people and openly wanting to hear about any and all allegations, then I guess we have to wait and see what else happens and what comes out?

Spreading the word to anyone with any information is important at this point, to ensure as many people feel comfortable coming forward as possible, having seen justice done for 5 staff already... Whilst absolutely not easy to come forward, it sounds as though they’ll be listened to with care and compassion for sure by the police team handling this.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 pm An obvious move by any organisation in such a situation? Why fan the conspiracy theory flames, Richard?
I have received a lot of information not just about what is going on but what went on historically.

I heard what was said yesterday. It should have been blindingly obvious to any diligent teacher that Husband was unsafe to be around teenage girls. That position continued for many years until he was - as it was put yesterday - "encouraged to leave". It remains unclear whether Poulton actually sacked him and those who were pupils at the school were not told he position.

Like many Old Blues I am horrified about what has gone on for many years.

I don't need to fan the "conspiracy theory flames" as you so provocatively put it: the school is doing a very good at doing so itself and is NOT as you choose to suggest doing all that it can to help abused pupils.

I will continue to say what I think. I do think however you should cease to be an apologist for staff.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

I'm not quite sure why we are arguing. I'm not against you or your site.
You didn't hear the summary of the trial so you don't actually know from yesterday - as you say above - but presumably from other sources.
I must plead guilty that I didn't notice the blindingly obvious about Husband. I may have had other historical and pastoral concerns on my mind. Everything is so obvious in hindsight, isn't it.
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Apologist for staff? I have very few friends from the CH staff - or anywhere, actually. However I did know several of those convicted so I do share a desire to understand what the hell happened.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm I'm not quite sure why we are arguing. I'm not against you or your site.
You didn't hear the summary of the trial so you don't actually know from yesterday - as you say above - but presumably from other sources.
I must plead guilty that I didn't notice the blindingly obvious about Husband. I may have had other historical and pastoral concerns on my mind. Everything is so obvious in hindsight, isn't it.
I heard a summary of events yesterday which gave me a great deal of information. As you correctly observe, I have information from other sources.

There are very good reasons why I am keeping my own counsel, not least confidentiality.
KerryKidd
2nd Former

Post by KerryKidd »

I don’t think anyone is criticising you personally, Golfer.
I am sure two thirds of the school staff would have been horrified by what was happening under their noses.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

KerryKidd wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm I don’t think anyone is criticising you personally, Golfer.
I am sure two thirds of the school staff would have been horrified by what was happening under their noses.
Absolutely. There were, and I’m sure still are, some exceptional staff at the school who must be struggling to make sense of what has happened as much as the ex-pupils are. Blaming them achieves nothing.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Golfer wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 pm Apologist for staff? I have very few friends from the CH staff - or anywhere, actually. However I did know several of those convicted so I do share a desire to understand what the hell happened.
I can vouch for TDA being a man of utmost honesty and integrity who would have been horrified had he been aware of what was going on.
I didnt know his wife but observed her obvious passion and energy for education.
Im sure they would have gone straight to the police had anything been reported to them
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Please be very careful on this specific thread.

Tim stated that he is leaving this forum which I have noted before that it is his perogotive so to do, and I fully understand his family grief.

However, can we please now all move on and wait to see what the future holds.

There cannot be any more white-washing by present/past staff of the past.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I for one feel sad that Tim appears to have done what he said, and gone. I knew of him in my time at CH, but don't believe our paths crossed directly.

Having input from staff from the the era of this abuse is extremey valuable on this forum, and I’d hope that more staff, past and present, feel able to register and post on here to correct errors, and share their feelings and views.

I certainly have never tarred all the teachers with the same brush, that’s for sure.
I was taught and supported by some amazing staff - John Stilwell, Sean Mason, Revd Patrick Duncan, to name the beat and most memorable. They inspired me to achieve my best, with compassion and support. Amazing teachers!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I share the sentiment Julian.

Some amazing teachers - Bomber Nicholson, Clive Kemp, Peter Farrar and Dave McLean to name a few.

Curiously Golfers posts actually gave me an insight into how it was able to happen.